Orbea Rise. Suitable crank spider and chainring??

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Yes 1X chainring bolts which are shorter. I have a spare brand new chainring if you need 34t Burgtec steel one. I bought it then found my spider already attached to a 32t new chainring šŸ˜‚

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Thank you for the offer. Weā€™re after 32t to keep it standard.
Hoping a race face 32t narrow/wide will work with the XT 12 speed chain okā€¦

Pepper75

Jun 17, 2023
UK
Hi, I am looking to revive this topic as I am about to take delivery of a 2022 Rise M10 and have read a lot about the comparability issues of the e*13 crank and direct mount chain ring. I have been looking at the replacement options but there is very little in stock at the moment. I believe the default crank size on an XL is 170, but I was wondering if I should consider changing this to a 165 XT crank or just go for a like for like size replacement and get XT 170? I have also been looking for the FSA spider but I canā€™t find one available anywhere and although ridiculously expensive, I wondered if anyone had tried the absolute black offerings? (and if so, what chain guide may be compatible?). Appreciate any feedback!

Last edited:

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Got new 2022 H30 XL last week and it was delivered with e*13 crank set 170. I did not test them just took them off and place Shimano EM600 165. But on other bike 2023 Focus Jam2 7.8 I have Samox 165 crank set and left side started falling off once and there was no blue Loctite applied on. Now with EM600 there is no need to put Loctite and I will be able to see if it will fall off or not. One more thing in EM600 instruction Shimano advise to check crank set once every month.

IMG_20230617_110651.jpg

Last edited:

Pepper75

Jun 17, 2023
UK
Thanks for replies. O-chain looks interesting and would be good to hear your thoughts, but think I will stick with something more traditional and go for Shimano crank (still trying to decide 170 or 165) and spider/chain ring set up

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Thanks for replies. O-chain looks interesting and would be good to hear your thoughts, but think I will stick with something more traditional and go for Shimano crank (still trying to decide 170 or 165) and spider/chain ring set up
In the same boat, please update when you pull the trigger

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Wolftooth have just announced some Shimano e-bike direct mount chainrings 32T and 34T: Direct Mount Chainrings for Shimano E-Bike Motor
Unfortunately they come in a 55mm chainline. Didn't notice until I was installing it and realized it's wider than the ethirteen ring. It's a small difference to be sure, but in the WRONG direction for improving chain wear :( I sent a message to Wolftooth yesterday to see if there's any plans to offer a 53.

As it sits you can't use the chain guide without installing some spacers behind the bracket. I just left the guide off for now, will see what happens.

Unfortunately 55mm is the new "standard" so I don't think we're going to have a lot of luck finding alternatives moving forward.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Not sure why people are making this too complicated, the FSA (53mm chainline) spider is available, just pair it up with a 104 BCD chainring that's compatible with 12 speed Shimano chains.

The SHIMANO "STEPS SM-CRE80-12-B CHAINRING" is also fairly easy to get as well, and is available with 34T. Sells for about 84$ from online bike shops here in the US (e.q. Jenson USA). It's the spider w/ chainring made for a 53mm chainline

As for the the chain guide, the Funn Zippa Lite ES Chain Guide works great.

CR.jpg

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
No one is making anything "complicated", we are just providing information. Glad you're happy with your setup. I'm not interested in it. NBD.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Orbea designed the bike with 53mm chainline in mind - there are OEM and aftermarket replacements available. Things get complicated when install's a spider that's not made for a 53mm chain line (more drivetrain noise).

Don't mind me, I forgot to un-watch this year old thread.

Last edited:

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Finally assembled all the parts to replace the chain ring. Shimano spider, Race Face ā€˜Shimanoā€™ chain ring. Purple (special request by SWMBO) chain ring bolts, with the bolt filed down a few mm so they would fit and screw tight. Special purchase of yet another tool (Parktool LRT2). When her arm is fully repaired from the break, weā€™ll be trying it out. 20g heavier than the stock e*thirteen. And weā€™ll see how things go without the chain guide.
Was also able to make sure all the motor bolts were torqued correctly, to find the middle on the drivetrain side was loose.
IMG_0406.jpeg

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
I got this one in a 53 chainline. Paired up with a Wolftooth chainring and bolts, dropstop specific (they do dropstop for SRAM and different profile for shimano) to the latest Shimano chains.
Itā€™s totally transformed the bike into something amazing, or more like a machine that hopefully the chainring wonā€™t snapšŸ˜œ.
Same lockring is used as on the E13 ringpiece.
Not loads of choice on chainrings, One up have one.
also bear in mind that the chainguide Wonā€™t fit anymore, Iā€™ve not needed it and thatā€˜s with very rocky terrain.
https://www.bike24.com/p2275724.html?sku=962052
Sounds like I need this Wolf Tooth ring!
Iā€™m unsure about the original spider though.
I initially wanted to replace the drive train only as Iā€™m on chain number 2 now, XTR chains last a while Iā€™m pleased too see/say. Q: can I just simply undo the bolts on the old spider/E13 ring and remove/replace the rings without the need for the locking tool and crank arm removal etc. will the rings be able to go on and off just undoing the bolts, lastly do you get new bolts with the WT part?

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
This chainring rocks.
Best upgrade ever.
You should see for yourselfs
View attachment 123705
Is it 52mm chainline?

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Finally got around to changing mine out.....worked great. And before you roast me, that dirt is from after riding....I didn't get a pick when all clean and new,,,

Chainring.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles