Orbea Rise. Suitable crank spider and chainring??

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Has anyone replaced the standard E-13 chainring on a Rise (H15 if it matters) with a spider with bolt-on chainrings (preferably 104 BCD)? Assuming this is a possibility does anyone have the part numbers or links to the correct items. I am kind of thinking I may have found the right thing but am not sure enough to commit to buying ;-)

TIA

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
I got this one in a 53 chainline. Paired up with a Wolftooth chainring and bolts, dropstop specific (they do dropstop for SRAM and different profile for shimano) to the latest Shimano chains.
It’s totally transformed the bike into something amazing, or more like a machine that hopefully the chainring won’t snap😜.
Same lockring is used as on the E13 ringpiece.
Not loads of choice on chainrings, One up have one.
also bear in mind that the chainguide Won’t fit anymore, I’ve not needed it and that‘s with very rocky terrain.
https://www.bike24.com/p2275724.html?sku=962052

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
I personally replaced the eThirteen chainring on my Rise with Shimano Spider w/ 34T for Shimano 12-speed chain (SM-CRE80-12-B ) but it looks like the smallest chainring Shimano sells is a 34T (while the rise comes with 32T).

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T. Even though the Shimano spider is meant for a 104 BCD chainring, it's meant to be used with a Shimano chainring due to the profile of the the arms. If you were to use a RaceFace 32T Chainring (which is also 104 BCD) on a Shimano spider, you'll have a GAP and it won't look seamless (aesthetically) due to the inner tabs being a different profile than what's on the Shimano spiders. The FSA spider is more seamless looking when coupled with an aftermarket 104bcd chainring.

People already reported shearing their eThirteen direct mount chainrings in this forum (and it's a pain in the ass to remove the chain mount lock ring afterwards, one even had to get the motor replaced).

This means that you won't be able to use the eThirteen chain guide. If you want to run one, here's a pic of FUNN Chain guide for the Steps Motor on my bike (coupled with the Shimano Spider) - Rise H30. OneUp also sells a Chain Guide for the EP8 motor as well.

Chairing.jpg

Last edited:

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
The FSA one is legit as well - pretty beefy / forged aluminum. Here it is coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed.

Weighs: 136 grams

note - the E*THIRTEEN 32T - STEPS direct mount chairing is 96 grams.
note - the Shimano SM-CRE80-12-B - STEPS chainring with spider for 12 speed is 176 grams.

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

tempImageOeV3GD.png

IMG_0344.jpg

Last edited:

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Hi Funks,

could you just clarify which spiders are which in your pics?
In the first lot you put up where the ring sits perfectly against the spider tabs, is that a Shimano spider or the FSA? And then what brand ring is it? Raceface?

The last lot of pics that you put up where the spider tabs sit over the Raceface ring, is that the Beefy FSA spider you mention?

The pics online of theFSA spider you link to all appear to have been taken from the rear of the spider, so I can’t tell.

Asking for a friend really as I have Shimano/Wolftooth as in my pic, but I do like that seamless look in your first pic.

cheers
Al

75F5ABA3-297E-4982-809B-89E97333AA48.jpeg

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Here's a picture of the Shimano Spider w/ Shimano chainring ( SM-CRE80-12-B ). It only looks seamless because the Shimano chainrings have extended tabs. If you were to install another chainring (ie. wolf tooth, or the race face) there will be slight gap there (as the tabs don't extend all the way) albeit it will still work (104 bcd) but doesn't look ideal aesthetically. Basically, the Shimano Spider only has that seamless look when used with a Shimano chainring (which are hard to get a hold of)

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

Here's a picture of the FSA Spider w/ RaceFace (front view) - the chainring sits behind the spider (double checked this with FSA).

IMG_0341.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpg

Last edited:

alpinibis

Jul 15, 2022
ES
Does the chain line have to match up exactly ?? Hope makes a spider less chainring that will fit the EP8 motor but it is 52 mm chain line. Does that 1 mm matter ?
I have that chainring (34t) and everything is perfect. No issues. And what's more, I don't use the chain guide.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
I have that chainring (34t) and everything is perfect. No issues. And what's more, I don't use the chain guide.
Cool thanks. I guess just generally I’d still like to know how much any variation in chain line matters. There is the shimano spider/ring that is 55 mm chain line. Would it be ok to use that on a 53 mm bike? How much can you deviate?

alex_o

Mar 13, 2023
Portugal
I personally replaced the eThirteen chainring on my Rise with Shimano Spider w/ 34T for Shimano 12-speed chain (SM-CRE80-12-B ) but it looks like the smallest chainring Shimano sells is a 34T (while the rise comes with 32T).

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T. Even though the Shimano spider is meant for a 104 BCD chainring, it's meant to be used with a Shimano chainring due to the profile of the the arms. If you were to use a RaceFace 32T Chainring (which is also 104 BCD) on a Shimano spider, you'll have a GAP and it won't look seamless (aesthetically) due to the inner tabs being a different profile than what's on the Shimano spiders. The FSA spider is more seamless looking when coupled with an aftermarket 104bcd chainring.

People already reported shearing their eThirteen direct mount chainrings in this forum (and it's a pain in the ass to remove the chain mount lock ring afterwards, one even had to get the motor replaced).

This means that you won't be able to use the eThirteen chain guide. If you want to run one, here's a pic of FUNN Chain guide for the Steps Motor on my bike (coupled with the Shimano Spider) - Rise H30. OneUp also sells a Chain Guide for the EP8 motor as well.

View attachment 90748
Hi!
I bought the Oneup guide, but it's definitely not compatible with the Orbea Rise M10.

My Ethirteen Chainring deformed, thankfully e13 very promptly sent a free replacement. Still it's the new revision which is missing the grooves, so it hits the OEM chainguide bolts.
I got around it by filling a mm of the oem guide tabs so that I get a minimal clearance.

Really disappointed with Orbea engineering, if they fit a Shimano engine they should comply with all the clearances so that you can have more flexibility while replacing wearables. It's ridiculous that you can't fit standard shimano guides and chainrings.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just reviving this thread. I’m after a chain ring for my Rise and the E-13’s don’t appear to be in stock anywhere. I was going to get the Hope 34T but my LBS has just told me a 34T will not fit the Rise, whereas Alpinibis above has stated that a 34T is absolutely fine. Anyone know of another 32T that fits , or do I go for the Hope 34T, or go for a spider ? Mmm

alex_o

Mar 13, 2023
Portugal
I have reached out to Orbea for comment regarding the clearance issue between the revised Ethirteen chainring and the OEM chainguide.

e13-rise-guide.jpg

To be clear this is the 32T Ethirteen E*SPEC Direct Mount Chainring for EP8 - CR4UPA-109

This is the same issue as reported here:

Orbea's reply was very disappointing and lacking ownership to either go to a dealer or contact E13.
So at this point in time, I'm not aware of any chainring compatible with the rise with the OEM chainguide, which is kinda crazy considering it's a wearable part!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve also emailed Orbea asking what other chain rings they recommend other than the E13, awaiting their reply

Apparently using the Hope 34T carries a greater risk of chain suck and therefore damaging the chain stay. I managed to find some E13’s in stock so have ordered a couple for now, but would rather find something that is readily available and at a reasonable cost.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I saw someone mention this from absoluteBlack - but expensive. The price in the image is just the chainring - you also need a spider. But it is steel so could last well.
1679501092280.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Considering I've upgraded every single part on my H15 except the frame and I have 2 range extenders.....whats another $300 bucks :oops:
I’m on a mission to see if a small independent component manufacturer here in the UK is interested in making a steel chain ring to fit the Rise but so far I’ve had zero responses to my emails 😀

matjas

Apr 25, 2023
Alicja23
Same question here. 30t in front.
Easily doable with a spider BUT chain will RIDE more on the swing arm when transferring fast between locations.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I use the FSA 104 spyder with cheap funn narrow wide rings and use a 30t. No problems and I thru away the chain guide because it is not needed.
Funn.JPG

Last edited:

matjas

Apr 25, 2023
Alicja23
I tried to remove the right hand side e13 crank arm but to no avail :( screws loose and it will not go anywhere :(

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
It shouldn’t be this hard!!

Need a new chainring for my Rise M20. Like the 32t. No e-thirteen rings available anywhere, unless I place an order of at least €165 with a German site (Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving…). And even then, if it’s rhe ‘newer’ type, it might clash with something on the motor??

Now getting royally confused as to whether:
1 - I can fit a 34t direct (like a Hope chainring) - whether it fits (misses the chain stays??) and whether I can retain the original chain device.
2 - I can fit a spider, but do I need 50mm or 53mm chainline? And I believe I will definitely have to replace the chain device. And then I can fit a 32t chainring.

Oh, and then trying to find something in stock with reasonable delivery times…

Help me please!!! I’ll be the one sitting in the corner, holding my head in my hands and rocking gently.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It shouldn’t be this hard!!

Need a new chainring for my Rise M20. Like the 32t. No e-thirteen rings available anywhere, unless I place an order of at least €165 with a German site (Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving…). And even then, if it’s rhe ‘newer’ type, it might clash with something on the motor??

Now getting royally confused as to whether:
1 - I can fit a 34t direct (like a Hope chainring) - whether it fits (misses the chain stays??) and whether I can retain the original chain device.
2 - I can fit a spider, but do I need 50mm or 53mm chainline? And I believe I will definitely have to replace the chain device. And then I can fit a 32t chainring.

Oh, and then trying to find something in stock with reasonable delivery times…

Help me please!!! I’ll be the one sitting in the corner, holding my head in my hands and rocking gently.
53mm chainline with the spider
I fitted a 32T 104 bcd chainring to the spider but had to remove chain device as the chainring caught on the bolts

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Errr, I have one more question: spider bolts, anything special required? I remember having to use ‘shorter’ bolts when I converted from 2x to a 1x setup with a 30t threaded chainring on my older enduro bikes.
TIA!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles