Orbea Rise New Owner - Motor noise - not the clunk

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Mine does it too!!! but it is only when the bike is wet after I wash it! When dry, it just dissapears.

It is wind related, but I was not able to identify when it comes from. It is NOT the motor, nor the wheels, it is some kind of aerodynamic noise that is increased with humidity/water on the frame or some other part.

I do not ride the bike wet often, but just a small ride after washing it to help it dry ;)

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
When out on the M Team today and no noise I am sure that noise is wind related

Beautiful Weather
384FFE8C-ED67-4F31-9A1D-5E679828F669.jpeg
73517F61-B9FA-4614-87E7-49F1C4D02452.jpeg

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
Great responses everyone. It’s not a wet/dry issue, I personally don’t think it’s a wheel or grit issue. Remember, this was ride #1 when I noticed it, bike was brand new. I still have the noise, but notice it less. Most riding I do is uphill go downhill, that first ride was more cross country, so, I notice it on flatter road sections when I’m cranking or super smooth rolling terrain where I’m moving quickly, but otherwise there has been enough hub and ripping downhill noise to drone it out more than that first/second ride where it was very obvious and enough to make me create a blog post.

Clunking hasn’t been bothering me. Overall, just love this bike and have been riding the hell out of it, putting together rides I didn’t used to put together and just having a blast. Also riding solo a lot since my crew has not come to the dark side, yet!

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Glad i am not the only one with hub squeal, i posted about it on a facebook group yesterday and no one knew what i was on about. The question is how do we solve it, video in link of mine squealing

Facebook group hub squeal video

Wow. That's a lot louder than mine was. I was fainter than that and went after the first 50km or so for me. It sounds like the full-time whistle - Maybe your bike's trying to tell you something.

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
Wow. That's a lot louder than mine was. I was fainter than that and went after the first 50km or so for me. It sounds like the full-time whistle - Maybe your bike's trying to tell you something.

It is quite loud in the video when the camera is next to it but when you going along with wind and other noises it's is not a loud and I dont think it's always there, bike is 47km old so it might go.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is quite loud in the video when the camera is next to it but when you going along with wind and other noises it's is not a loud and I dont think it's always there, bike is 47km old so it might go.
sounds like something touching the disc

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
sounds like something touching the disc
100% not the disc, the unedited version of that video at the beginning you hear the disc noise (metallic sound of the pad skimming the disc), whilst riding the noise itself is very faint and sounds like and whistling air type of squeal

crencos

May 18, 2021
Portugal
Second ride on my Rise I noticed a noisy sound and thought that the motor was defective. Turns out to be the front wheel caps. I have the Rise M-Team with RaceFace Turbine R wheelset and the noise similar to the motor can be solved simply by taking the wheel off, taking the caps off, clean everything and apply a small amount of grease on the cap and assemble everything.

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Just had my first ride on my M10, I got the whistle too. Did we ever get any resolution with this or are we just accepting it?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
The whistle on mine can be there one day but then gone for the next few rides , which leads me to believe it is wind related

mheher

Apr 13, 2021
Truckee
Honestly, I’m pretty confident mine was none of the things people tried to say. Wind, brakes, etc, and it went away after about a month, and has not been an issue for me since. So… not sure, but hopefully it does the same for you. My wife’s bike has not been a problem.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Mine's made the squeal noise from day 1 also. When I heard it on the first ride (literally within the first 1/2 mile), I was initially worried the battery was offgassing. Anyway, it's definitely coming from the hub area. I've tried re-lubing the hub caps on mine and it has not made a difference. Anyway, it's relatively faint and only happens at higher speeds, so it's quite easy to ignore. When I do happen to notice it, it's just because the riding I'm doing at that particular moment is not very engaging (i.e. riding on pavement to connect trails, etc.).

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Now are we 100% sure this is coming from the motor ?. I ask as i used to have a non ebike and at any sort of speed got a whistling sound i identified as coming from the cable outers singing in the wind.

Raise up the back wheel and pedal the bike. If its the motor then that would be easier to id than it coming from anywhere- cables, or even front wheel, front disc etc.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I've this noise, but it came from the front wheel hub, after some wash and mud ride water has find a way in, I think the heat, and pressure change make air flow in tiny holes and whistle. It always appen at 18+kmh and always after a dh (400m d-). I've it without pedaling. Cleaning the hub, good dry, apply grease (slick honey) and the whistle is gone.

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I've this noise, but it came from the front wheel hub, after some wash and mud ride mater has find a way in, I think the heat, and pressure change make air flow in tiny holes and whistle. It always appen at 18+kmh and always after a dh (400m d-). I've it without pedaling. Cleaning the hub, good dry, apply grease (slick honey) and the whistle is gone.
Yep completely agree
Mines the same there one day gone the next alwsys over 18 Kmh with and without peddling and cleaning greasing hub stops it (for a bit )

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
I've this noise, but it came from the front wheel hub, after some wash and mud ride water has find a way in, I think the heat, and pressure change make air flow in tiny holes and whistle. It always appen at 18+kmh and always after a dh (400m d-). I've it without pedaling. Cleaning the hub, good dry, apply grease (slick honey) and the whistle is gone.
I've not heard my front hub whistle for while so I guess it's bedded in

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles