On the verge of buying a bike advice

Paddyeds

Jun 3, 2021
Wales
Hi,

Following an illness I am looking for a lttle assistance in my life.
An Emtb is an imminent purchase but to keep the wife happy it has to be sub 5k really.

I have zoned in on a bike which has a e7000 shimano motor at 4.5k. I live in northwales and my usual rides are about 15 to 20 miles with approx 2000ft climbing on natural trails and occasional trail centre when my arms twisted as I prefer natural.
My question is will I regret going for the e7000 or should I go the extra 1k for next model bike up which has the ep800 motor? Would be a bit over budget so would prefer really good feedback on e7000 if you have any.
I'll be paying more for a bike than i do for a car so want to make an informed decision.
Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Personally, I'd pay the extra and get the EP8 bike. There will no doubt me many other component improvements over the e7000 bike included in the extra cost.

The e7000, unfortunately, doesn't have the best reliability record and it's also virtually impossible to repair due to the way it's constructed (thinking down the line when you're out of warranty).

The EP8 is a slightly lighter, more powerful, smoother and much quieter when pedalling.

At the same time, the odds are you could buy the e7000 bike and never have a problem with it for the next 5-10 years. As with all the motor makes, some fail, but most don't and you'll get a distorted picture on a forum of the number of failures as people who have a fail talk about it where as people who don't - don't !

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Rob had a few comments on the EP8 vs it's older siblings on the SC Bullit thread that I thought was very helpful. For sure you're not in that price range, but if it was my choice, I'd save up my coins a little longer to have a better ride experience.

Rob Rides EMTB said:

I’d strongly advise against the E7000 on such a premium bike like the Bullit.

it’s not just the outright power, the motor software is so much less refined than the EP8 and E8000.

For example starting on a steep incline is hard. The motor doesn’t engage right away and I really found it difficult to get the power down.

It’s also more digital / on off feeling versus natural feeling on the EP8.

It’s a real budget motor and it shows compared to the latest offerings. It’s actually a shame Shimano discontinued the E8000 as brands are forced to use the E7000 as their entry level / budget options.

Paddyeds

Jun 3, 2021
Wales
Thanks guys, I have managed to convince better half that the extra is worth it.

Just got to sell all my other hobbies to fund it, never mind, I'm sure it will be amazing.
Bike chosen is a Saracen by the way

Cheers

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Thanks guys, I have managed to convince better half that the extra is worth it.

Just got to sell all my other hobbies to fund it, never mind, I'm sure it will be amazing.
Bike chosen is a Saracen by the way

Cheers
Are you only looking at e7000/EP8 powered bikes? Have you not considered a Bosch Gen4. Sounds the ideal motor for your style of riding. Very similar to my style & my 2020 Focus has been a great purchase. “Your healths you wealth“ a
“You can’t buy health“. Just think how much healthier you will be going out on the right bit of kit?. Enjoy your bike which ever you choose, & welcomes to the forum. ??

Paddyeds

Jun 3, 2021
Wales
Yes I did consider the bosch and having a spin on my pals trek rail 5 convinced me to go emtb. Amazing bit of kit. I tried to get one but unfortunately supply and stock levels are nil until late this year or even into next year.
Fortunately Saracen have just got some stock and I am a lover of saracen having had a couple of mtb's from them. Hopefully the 50E will be a blast.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Yes I did consider the bosch and having a spin on my pals trek rail 5 convinced me to go emtb. Amazing bit of kit. I tried to get one but unfortunately supply and stock levels are nil until late this year or even into next year.
Fortunately Saracen have just got some stock and I am a lover of saracen having had a couple of mtb's from them. Hopefully the 50E will be a blast.

Have you seen this?

Paddyeds

Jun 3, 2021
Wales
Couple of months in and loving my Saracen Ariel 50E, just need to swap out the saddle as it doesn't seem to be agreeing with me even after 100 or so miles.
Getting 30miles and over 3000ft average on rides and still not down to 1bar battery so all good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles