Buying advice for a big guy

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
I'm looking into buying my first EMTB, but I'm tall and heavy at 6'4 300LBS and most manufacturers seems to forget about the big guys..
Sizing of frames is one thing, but when looking at suspension setup and recommendations my options seems limited.

Regarding motor choice I will limit it to Bosch.
( I really hope the industry can agree on a standard for motor mounts and battery so we can spec EMTB's with our prefered motor.)
Most of my riding is singletrack/enduro but a versatile "do it all" bike with good climbing ability is welcomed.

At the moment I find these bikes to be interesting, but other suggestions are welcomed!
  • Pole Voima
  • Whyte E-180
  • Mondraker Level (They even have suspension recommendation for riders upt to 320 LBS !!!)

Is there any tall and heavy riders here that have experience with these bikes (or other you would recommend) please let me know your pros and cons.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Is there any tall and heavy riders here that have experience with these bikes (or other you would recommend) please let me know your pros and cons.
6'6" 255lbs and riding the Merida e160 8000 in XL. Run a slightly longer 45mm stem and 50mm riser bar just to add a bit more space for my height but other than that it's good size wise. Stock suspension has been fine and takes the PSI I needed on the rear shock. Shimano ep8 also fine. It's more than enough power but having ridden Brose and Bosch systems also over the last couple of years it does seem to eat through the battery a bit quicker. Bike itself is fun on the DH's but will happily eat the miles on a bit of XC. Think the Merida is 140kg rider/equipment rated.

Looking for a new bike for next year too and have the Voima, Whyte e160 and Trek Rail on the list too. Voima looks great but with their sizing I'd really like to try a K3/K4 before splashing the cash which probably won't be possible. Whyte looks nice and I'd ridden an earlier gen and liked it, only slight concern is the lower BB height. Rail seems to be a good allrounder but I would push the 136kg combined weight limit a bit. Would probably do similar to Rob's and make it a 170/165 Enduro to beef it up a bit. Think I'm set on the the Bosch motor though with a 750wh battery for the replacement and it'll be Fox DHx2 coil shock too as I've found that a good set up (and they do up to 800lb spring rate for bigger riders).

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
Hi Welcome
I like a bosch bike but don't let it limit your search
Happy hunting
Thank you.
But it kinda does... I have nearly pulled the trigger on a few bikes (Santa Cruze, Nukeproof, Specialized etc) but just can't get myself to go with anything else than the Bosch system.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
I also only wanted the Bosch. Trek Rail specifically.

I purchased a Spec Turbo Levo base model a few months ago because of a better financing option which allowed me to get the bike months earlier and from an excellent dealer.

I can only say a month(s) saved getting an EMTB and riding is worth any difference in the perceived difference between motors.

Get the bike, ride, smile, change your life.

These gems do that. Don't overthink.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles