Another 'on the verge of buying' post

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
I'm on the verge of buying an eMTB. I've had hardtails and FS bikes over the years, and TBH, my use of them has dropped quite markedly of late. Busy life. Tired at the weekends. Laziness etc.

I've had (yet another) bike stolen from my home (despite locks/cctv/coverings etc) but I still have my Orange Crush from around 2009 which is a decent enough bike for a hardtail.

But on my last few rides, I've yearned for a FS bike again (I've had two of those stolen too over the years, the best being a massive SC Nomad about 8 or 9 years ago). This is partly due to fitness/back pain etc, partly due to comfort but also because I just really like bikes, and FS bikes - for me - are just amazing bits of equipment. It's like holding a Leica camera: the pictures from a £250 camera can be close enough in terms of quality, but the hold/feel/pedigree/craftsmanship of a Leica in your hands is something entirely different.

But the last few rides with the couple of mates who I've been biking with for years have been a bit tougher (for all of us really). I'm certainly not the most skilled rider nor the fastest. But we always rib each other and ask "So when are you getting an eMTB then?" to which the others will shout: "NEVER!", or "Only when I retire!" (we aren't there yet for a while before you ask!).

But...I am on the fence and leaning quite a bit over into eMTB territory.

But they are bloody expensive. All bikes are bloody expensive if you want something good.

But eMTBs are on another level of expense for me.

And availability? Well, basically none. Especially as a 6'5" rider, the choice is thin on the ground.

I'm on the verge of going for the 2022 Whyte e160 S that I've found in XL. I'm really hoping that it will fit. Without it being available locally to try - or even sit on - let alone compare sizes, it is really hard to part with so much cash.

£5500 for a bike that I'll have to order online and pay for delivery. Without seeing it in the flesh. Without ever riding an e-bike (apart from a neighbours hybrid bike a while ago that put a big grin on my face!). Without seeing if it feels 'right'. Without picking it up to see if I can even lift it! Without seeing if it will fit in the back of my car (I assume it will fit in the back of a Tesla Model 3 - anyone know that?).

Sound a familiar story?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Nope..doesn't sound at all familiar to me ..
I bought my e160rs blind ..but kind of knew what I was getting having had a T130rs ..
Just do it ..its only money and the bike will pay you back in smiles ten fold .?

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
I wasn’t really interested in ebikes, until my brother told me to try his turbo Levo comp on a regular loop we do. I went solo and Oh my god I was addicted instantly, bought one straight after, very expensive but life changing.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
buy buy buy. never look back. you'll love it.

your comment about them being "bloody expensive". ok, they are expensive. name me something that isn't expensive nowadays that you would rather spend your time doing... i'll wait

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
So glad to have found this echo chamber.
Deposit paid!
Congrats!!!

FWIW, even if it fits in the back of a Tesla, any full-fat eMTB will be a real pain to try to lift it over the hatch/trunk and get it gently in without scraping against any delicate surfaces (of either the bike or car). At 6'5" it may be easier for you than most. Still, if you plan on transporting the bike with any regularity it's worth investing in a proper rack.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Congrats!!!

FWIW, even if it fits in the back of a Tesla, any full-fat eMTB will be a real pain to try to lift it over the hatch/trunk and get it gently in without scraping against any delicate surfaces (of either the bike or car). At 6'5" it may be easier for you than most. Still, if you plan on transporting the bike with any regularity it's worth investing in a proper rack.
What will a bike on a roof rack or towbar rack do for the range of a Tesla?

I know what my towbar rack does to the fuel consumption on my petrol beast.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
What will a bike on a roof rack or towbar rack do for the range of a Tesla?

I know what my towbar rack does to the fuel consumption on my petrol beast.
This fellow published some impressions: Casteyanqui.com | Electric Vehicles | Using our Bike Rack on our Model 3

TLDR: It's potentially quite a bit, but would you really want to hassle fitting a 50+ lb FF bike into the back of the car every time you drove to a trailhead or vacation spot? Looks like the smart play would be getting a lighter rack (something like a Kuat) that's easy enough to remove when you don't need to transport the bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is an interesting find.
5% reduction in range on city streets
25% reduction on the interstate (UK motorways)
15% in his combination.

Wind resistance goes up with the square of the speed, so that accounts for that.

On my Audi A5, with my 18kg towbar rack and my 20.4kg bike I get roughly a 25% reduction just driving to and from my local trail centre (70m round trip), but I live quite close to the A1, so I don't get much "city streets" on my route. I would expect that the extra drag in real terms is broadly independent of the car the bike is on, so it will require broadly the same amount of energy to convey, although the percentages will vary. I would suggest about 10mpg. Therefore using the same terms as above: (UK gallons, not US)
city streets 2mpg
interstate 10mpg
combination 6mpg

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
I do t have a tow bar and I’m unlikely to fit one as it’s a lease car. I have roof bars so it could theoretically go on the roof, but to be honest, I’m more likely to remove both wheels and stick it in the boot. (Assuming it will fit! My XL Orange Crush hard tail does with ease so I can’t imagine a big ebike will be that much different- apart from the 20kg frame weight lifting over the boot lip of course!)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I don't understand why so many folks have problems lifting an e bike into the back of a car ..I cover the bumper with a rug to avoid scratches..and don't have any problems lifting the bike in with the front wheel out ..
I won't ever put my bike at risk of being stolen by carrying it on a rack ..

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
I don't understand why so many folks have problems lifting an e bike into the back of a car ..I cover the bumper with a rug to avoid scratches..and don't have any problems lifting the bike in with the front wheel out ..
I won't ever put my bike at risk of being stolen by carrying it on a rack ..
I have a 2020 Focus 6.8. Goes in the back of my e92 BMW coupe no problem, with the front wheel off & rear seats down. Plus if your 6’5” you’ll have plenty of reach. to get it in & out. Enjoy.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
What are you going to do about security though, are you saying you have had bikes stolen from actually inside the house? So a full on front door break in jobbie as thats huriffic. You wont get cover from home insurance fora bike for 5,500 quid as i was in the same boat.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l always remove the battery from my ebike when transporting it or when it's at home.

lt makes the bike noticeably lighter for a start, and easier to lift on to a rack, but also it's a bit less attractive to thieves.
They certainly couldn't ride away quickly on it. And if it does get stolen at least you've got a spare battery for the replacement bike.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
l always remove the battery from my ebike when transporting it or when it's at home.

lt makes the bike noticeably lighter for a start, and easier to lift on to a rack, but also it's a bit less attractive to thieves.
They certainly couldn't ride away quickly on it. And if it does get stolen at least you've got a spare battery for the replacement bike.
You are a smart person. Thanks for the tip.
I might start to use it.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle

Cant do that on an Orbea RISE easily its inside the tube and you have to drop the motor out to get at it, unless the battery is really easy to get out for me that more of a hinderance than a real world workable solution. Surely keeping a bike in the main house is safe! I dont consider my house that secure but i have composite doors and Ultion locks with cameras and if someone broke in we would hear them before they got anywhere near the bike. Breaking ionto a house to steal bikes is crazy though i wouldn't feel safe to go to sleep if that happened previously.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Cant do that on an Orbea RISE easily its inside the tube and you have to drop the motor out to get at it, unless the battery is really easy to get out for me that more of a hinderance than a real world workable solution. Surely keeping a bike in the main house is safe! I dont consider my house that secure but i have composite doors and Ultion locks with cameras and if someone broke in we would hear them before they got anywhere near the bike. Breaking ionto a house to steal bikes is crazy though i wouldn't feel safe to go to sleep if that happened previously.
I had a 2020 Stance(Giant) and i am expecting a 2021 Trance soon. We just use a key, pull on a lever and in 4 seconds it is done. In Canada we know no place is safe. People lock them in their locked shed or storage room or garage so we talk about double locking them and pouf less than a minute, bye bye.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles