OMG ive just spent 4k on a EMTB- Rise user experiences please

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
So it's my first emtb. I hired a Trek Rail for a day's hire in the Peaks and didn't like it at all. It was heavy, cumbersome and the brakes and suspension felt overwhelmed. It stopped me buying a emtb. However fast forward and I've bought a Rise H30 (I'll fit my Lyrik Ultimates and XTs that I have) in a sale. I had to buy it whilst having a couple of beers to get the courage up as I've never spent that much on a bike before! I've bought it to climb quicker, to get more descents/trails packed into a limited time. Will I regret it and go back to non emtb after?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm a huge guy, bought a Rail to climb faster so I could ride with friends that climb faster and not hold up the group. The rail had too much power and I never used emtb or boost. The Rise has a much more useable powerband for me and feels like riding a regular bike, just climbing faster. It can still grind as much as I want to and when I bonk I can add power to keep going. With extenders I can add as much battery as I need. I have 2 extenders so 1044wh of total battery, I could out ride the battery on the Rail. I'm a strong guy so the Rail never felt heavy to me at all. The Rise just delivers the power in a more natural way which I prefer. I still ride my regular bikes when I'm solo but love my Rise, gave my Rail to my bro. Two of my friends bought Rises after me...both smaller guys, 150/180 lbs, both can get 50 miles on their bikes. One (150lbsw/ H30)Rides only in ECO, the other (180lbs w/ m20) rides it off until he's tired then Eco...both no longer ride their regular bikes anymore. It really does ride like a normal bike

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
I'm a huge guy, bought a Rail to climb faster so I could ride with friends that climb faster and not hold up the group. The rail had too much power and I never used emtb or boost. The Rise has a much more useable powerband for me and feels like riding a regular bike, just climbing faster. It can still grind as much as I want to and when I bonk I can add power to keep going. With extenders I can add as much battery as I need. I have 2 extenders so 1044wh of total battery, I could out ride the battery on the Rail. I'm a strong guy so the Rail never felt heavy to me at all. The Rise just delivers the power in a more natural way which I prefer. I still ride my regular bikes when I'm solo but love my Rise, gave my Rail to my bro. Two of my friends bought Rises after me...both smaller guys, 150/180 lbs, both can get 50 miles on their bikes. One (150lbsw/ H30)Rides only in ECO, the other (180lbs w/ m20) rides it off until he's tired then Eco...both no longer ride their regular bikes anymore. It really does ride like a normal bike
That's a point. I'm 105kg. I train at Judo 4 times a week but on the bike you feel those surplus kgs don't you?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
That's a point. I'm 105kg. I train at Judo 4 times a week but on the bike you feel those surplus kgs don't you?
Personally I don't, but I can pick my Rise over my head with one arm.....my friends that's 150lbs, 68kg he doesn't seems to care at all and hasn't touched his Stumpy since. I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue, and if you felt it at first, I'm sure you'd get used to it pretty quick. All it does is make my Orbea Rallon and Transition Spur feel like paper weights when I ride them. I ride really rocky terrain in NorCal and have no issues moving the bike around on techy climbs. BTW I've got ya by 35kg

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
@Plutohora - great choice! You will not be disappointed.

I have two rides a full-fat Merida and the Rise. Rise is first choice every time, even if riding with full-fat group. I'll be last up the hill but so what... ahead on the twisty stuff as bike is so agile...

Range is great (and yours has a bigger battery than my carbon version) - you should be able to get 30 miles out of the 500 whr, I can eke out 28 miles and 4000ft on my 360 whr. Then you can add the extender as BigJZ74 mentions for big days out.

Even with dodgy legs (me, that is), I still tend to ride Eco and occasionally Trail on the real steeper climbs. Behaves so much like a normal bike.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m 5ft 10 and on a large Rise and it fits me great

I also have a full fat, with Bosch motor, and find the bike too heavy & cumbersome in the steep & tight twisty descents, so went for the Rise and it was the right decision. I’m also a heavy guy and not as fit as I should be but have no problems at all with the Rise. It has more than enough power. I’d say the Bosch full fat is too powerful, especially in Turbo

Raleel

Jun 2, 2022
Washington
Similar height, old, and overweight. Got an M rise and I love it. I worry it is a little small, but also like that it is in some ways. I would only consider trading it for another rise of similar spec and a size L if I tried it first.

I can pull about 20 miles or so on mine with full modified boost. I spent $7700 after tax because the other two options in town were Levos and Didn’t come with carbon at the same price. I love the bike and don’t regret the price at all.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I bought a H30 Rise this summer, mainly to get more range than my current 2018 Kenevo, so I could go out with mates with their 650 and 700 batteries and not run out myself. For this reason I also got the extender and so far have not got anywhere near running out. I once did 40k and 1000m of ascent and still had 60% left (BTW, the bars in the display can give different results compared to my Garmin, which I think is more accurate). I’m quite light but I ride in boost most of the time so I really don’t notice the lack of power compared to the Kenevo. The rise has a much lower first gear, which means I can get the same steep slopes as my Kenevio, albeit a bit slower. A friend of mine who has the same Rise as me and he also has a Trek rail. His thoughts echothe comments above, finding the Rail heavy and cumbersome. However, I think it isn’t just a question of weight as I find my Kenevo just as nimble as my Rise. It’s a different ride to be sure, but I really enjoy riding both and will choose which bike to take depending on the length and type of ride.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I just got an H15 XL. I have one ride on it and love it. It rides so much more like a regular Mtn bike compared to the trek rail I had. Really like the 170 cranks instead of the 165’s. It’s not super light but way lighter than the rail was. I need to go with a shorter dropper so just ordered a 150 PNW Loam (25% off sale right now fyi). Installing Renthal bars from my old bike and Tubolito tubes should lighten it a bit.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
No!.... No, you won't miss going walking pace in granny gear up a steep techy trail, or declining an invite to ride from a friend because you "just went yesterday and my knees are blown", nor will you wish you could just "slow-down a little" to turn your magical uphill flow into a standard choppy disjointed climb, nor will you miss failing again to make it up THAT SAME SECTION that you never seem to master because you - just - don't - quite - have - enough.... dammit!

Hell, with the Rise, you won't even notice much when you have to pick that thang up and throw it around as luggage (perhaps the worst aspect of emtb ownership). My Decoy with coils both ends requires some machinations and brake-hold wheelies and rolling, etc. to get it where I need to go before I dare lift with a well-placed (CG) hand.

My wife did the reverse, she owns a Rise M10 but while traveling, we all rented Rails out in Zion UT. She had a good time during the 2nd half of that day on the Rail (mostly downhill, gorgeous views, and Utah!) but by far prefers her Rise. She says it makes her feel like she's on her old "Stumpy hardtail" (circa '96 mind you), and much more natural than her former Giant Anthem X1 29er which never seemed to win her over.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
The retailer have a sale on. They had one that had 1km on the clock reduced further and I used a 10% services discount for further. The 10% helped push me into taking the plunge.

I was doubtful all the way upto delivery however my 12yr son took delivery from the courier and proceeded to destroy the box and build the bike so that's any potential ideas of a return gone!

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
I've changed the saddle, bars next to my carbon 800mm ones and I'm thinking about fitting my Lyrik Ultimates 160mm and sell the Fox. Then change the dropper. Its a smidge too long on full extension slammed.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
20221021_100901.jpg

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Got my H30 about 8 weeks ago and I've been out every possible weekend on it. It does exactly what i hoped it would, which is let me ride longer, steeper, and farther than my normal MTB. Like I did in my 20s.

Was really worried about being able to lift it for my roof rack, but once I got used to the weight distribution, I've had no trouble getting it up there, even after a tiring ride. (and yes, it is well under the max load for the tray/rack)

Only upgrade so far is RideWrap and an SQLabs saddle.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
Got my H30 about 8 weeks ago and I've been out every possible weekend on it. It does exactly what i hoped it would, which is let me ride longer, steeper, and farther than my normal MTB. Like I did in my 20s.

Was really worried about being able to lift it for my roof rack, but once I got used to the weight distribution, I've had no trouble getting it up there, even after a tiring ride. (and yes, it is well under the max load for the tray/rack)

Only upgrade so far is RideWrap and an SQLabs saddle.
I actually thought today 'I don't want the ride to end'. Its a longtime since I've thought that. The shakedown ride showed me that I do miss my 800mm bars and 160mm forks though.

scourge

Oct 11, 2022
St. Louis, MO USA
How tall are you guys on the XL? I'm 6'1" and they recommend the XL over the large. But I am worried about that crazy long seat tube.

And I hate to be that guy, but does anyone know what a stick XL weighs. Seems like it may be getting close to a regular e-mtb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles