Levo Gen 2 OMG, have I done the right thing?

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
After several visits to bike shops around the north of England, I finally decided on the Levo Carbon Expert 2020 model. Picking it up on Thursday?

Now for the upgrades? Recommendations for grips, saddle and anything else you think I should upgrade please?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Change it for a reason, not fashion or "I just want". It must make the ride better in some way either because it fits you better, stops you faster, helps you go faster etc, etc
Going matchy-matchy has never appealed to me, but it's allowed. :)

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Don't worry about that stuff just yet, what Yilt said is fair advice, give it a month and get to know your bike, then upgrade what you know you need to change. it'll make the upgrading of parts funner and more worth while.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All good advice. I consider the contact points the most important....saddle grips and pedals and I always have to change stock saddles for wider ones. It takes longer to decide if the riding position is right in a variety of riding scenarios. So next might be bars and/stem. You would expect the rest to be good on a higher range bike like the Expert although tyres might be next on the agenda if they do not suit your typical riding terrain.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks, I’ll ride it for a while before making any decisions. I have to say that I do like a comfortable saddle and find that the first thing
I’ve replaced on previous bikes. I find the stock saddles to be too hard and like sitting on a brick.

Also read in a separate thread that the tyres aren’t that great, especially for UK winter riding?

Maxijazz

Oct 12, 2020
Alcester
I have to say the stock saddle is one of the most comfortable I've ever had.

But, I have only had the bike a week and done 3 30k rides and all of our arses have different requirements.

I intend to ride it for a few months and see what needs changing and also what I want to change.

Just enjoy it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks, I’ll ride it for a while before making any decisions. I have to say that I do like a comfortable saddle and find that the first thing
I’ve replaced on previous bikes. I find the stock saddles to be too hard and like sitting on a brick.............

Check your sit bone width, it's easy to do.
Get some corrugated carboard, place it on a flat surface and sit on it for a few seconds. When you get off you will see two depressions where your sit bones are. Draw a circle around each depression and estimate where the centres are, then measure between them. That is your sit bone width. When choosing a saddle go for one that is as wide as your sit bone width plus 20mm +/-5mm.

I discovered all this when my new bike came fitted with my favourite saddle. Except that I didn't realise that this was the narrow version when what I needed was the wide. The narrow one was the same width as my sit bones. As my rides got longer my rear end got worse.

This method by WTB is different, but gave the same measurement for me. Follow it through and it will recommend a WTB saddle that is right for you. Fit Right System

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Check your sit bone width, it's easy to do.
Get some corrugated carboard, place it on a flat surface and sit on it for a few seconds. When you get off you will see two depressions where your sit bones are. Draw a circle around each depression and estimate where the centres are, then measure between them. That is your sit bone width. When choosing a saddle go for one that is as wide as your sit bone width plus 20mm +/-5mm.

I discovered all this when my new bike came fitted with my favourite saddle. Except that I didn't realise that this was the narrow version when what I needed was the wide. The narrow one was the same width as my sit bones. As my rides got longer my rear end got worse.

This method by WTB is different, but gave the same measurement for me. Follow it through and it will recommend a WTB saddle that is right for you. Fit Right System

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Oct 20, 2020
Colorado
Don't upgrade ANYTHING. Seriously. Get to know that bike first, it's an awesome bike.

If after a few rides you don't like something, then think about upgrades.

(For starters, after a few MTBs and 'upgraded' saddles, I still love the stock specialized saddle. One of the best I've had.)
I too love the stock saddle! The only thing I changed before my first ride were the grips:

and then after a few rides a bigger chainring

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just been for my first ride and loved it. 22 miles and 2800feet and came back with 51% battery?
one issue was, the bike developed an intermittent clicking noise, which seemed to be coming from the rear wheel. Checked it over but couldn’t see anything obvious...any ideas?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
intermittent clicking noise, which seemed to be coming from the rear wheel. Checked it over but couldn’t see anything obvious...any ideas?
There's a million threads with similar questions.... a tight chain link. A bent cassette tooth. Then it gets more complicated like seat post or pedal or bearing ..

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
or a detarilleur that needs adjustment. One or two clicks on the shifter cable tension screw.

You of course know what swaps need to be made up front. Up to and including nothing. For me, and the bike I chose, the 11-42 cassette was a non-starter. Mine has zero miles on it. :)

Other stuff like tires, I was willing to give a shot to. My tires lasted 25 miles :)

Other stuff like the brakes I had a low opinion of and gave it the benefit of the doubt but figured I'd swap. And yet I'm on those same calipers, so far so good. They'll last probably a couple thousand miles at most :)

Reactions: EME

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
After several visits to bike shops around the north of England, I finally decided on the Levo Carbon Expert 2020 model. Picking it up on Thursday?

Now for the upgrades? Recommendations for grips, saddle and anything else you think I should upgrade please?
Why would anyone spend thousands of pounds on a bike only to get it home and start spending more money on so called upgrades .....my advice would be to get on it and ride and enjoy what you have,there brilliant bikes from stock and if you break something then replace it..

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Why would anyone spend thousands of pounds on a bike only to get it home and start spending more money on so called upgrades .....my advice would be to get on it and ride and enjoy what you have,there brilliant bikes from stock and if you break something then replace it..
Why not? Shops have bills to pay :alien: :LOL:(y)

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire

That's exactly what I will do and thanks for the advice!

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA

Some things are required. Kenevo with an 11-42 cassette is a non-starter IMO. Need to upgrade it. Some other people want a clicky-clacky rear wheel. Or to be coil sprung, even on a levo. Ride or not, it's a known quantity.

Other things I agree 100%. Didn't know if the tires would be great, so I rode the bike as is to make sure I did or did not like it. that stuff, for sure just get on it and ride!

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Some things are required. Kenevo with an 11-42 cassette is a non-starter IMO. Need to upgrade it. Some other people want a clicky-clacky rear wheel. Or to be coil sprung, even on a levo. Ride or not, it's a known quantity.

Other things I agree 100%. Didn't know if the tires would be great, so I rode the bike as is to make sure I did or did not like it. that stuff, for sure just get on it and ride!
why is the cassette a no starter ? ..and what’s up with the coil ? ...be interested to know only being a novice

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Coil is like a cult thing. Air just doesn't ride like coil, and now with very good coil kits like from Vorsprung, we can be coil sprung easily all around

Cassette for me was a use case issue. I had a specific target motor assist in ECO mode and particular hills I climb around here that to get the climbing characteristics I was looking for, needed a 51t in the back to get there. Your mileage may vary.

Again in my opinion, the parts spec is the biggest weakness of the specialized lineup. Fortunately, it's the easiest to fix, and exactly why I bought a specialized bike instead of the other brands. Changing a derailleur is easy, changing a motor or battery or geometry angle is not.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Q
Coil is like a cult thing. Air just doesn't ride like coil, and now with very good coil kits like from Vorsprung, we can be coil sprung easily all around

Cassette for me was a use case issue. I had a specific target motor assist in ECO mode and particular hills I climb around here that to get the climbing characteristics I was looking for, needed a 51t in the back to get there. Your mileage may vary.

Again in my opinion, the parts spec is the biggest weakness of the specialized lineup. Fortunately, it's the easiest to fix, and exactly why I bought a specialized bike instead of the other brands. Changing a derailleur is easy, changing a motor or battery or geometry angle is not.
Got ya ...not sure if a novice like me would feel the difference but well put

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles