Oh dear! I've got saddle sores!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
To get rid of what's there, try hot compresses a few times a day, for up to a week. This will draw a head which will burst, don't be tempted to squeeze it, you can make it worse.
Once its burst, loads of antiseptic, I used old fashioned TCP.
I've had it about three times, using same seat, chamois and not doing anything different, it's very random, but nearly ruined my coast 2 coast ride last year

Thanks for the advice of experience, but it does not look like anything that would burst. I can't help thinking that it would have been easier if it was! Anyway, it has stopped being super tender to the touch now, so it's probably on the mend after 4 full days and a bit.

The weather is foul near here, so I'm in no rush to get out and about. I went out for a walk today and nearly froze my earlobes off.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Bepanthen cream

Thank me later

Best over the counter antiseptic cream you can buy, tattoo artists the world over will only use this cream after inking a new tattoo to avoid infections.

Do you wear underwear under your chamois shorts, if so I would advise against it.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
If they keep returning , try and work out if they are infective.

In creases and spreading out = fungal so use antifungal cream for at least 3 weeks and a hot (60 c) wash for clothing +/- anti fungal powder on the mushroom pants.

Base of hairs and pimply = bacterial. Antiseptics reduce the bugs on the skin but don't really get through the skin - time to see a doc and let her decide between antibiotic creams , tablets, or a knife. If she starts waving a knife make sure she understands you cycle and considers what direction she cuts. Perhaps role play that discussion with your partner a few times to get the wording perfect....

Also check there isn't a mechanical cause - google pilonidal sinus as an example of what a nasty hair can do. ( not whilst eating)

One of the best prescription creams for severe rashes is Betnovate 1/2 or 1/5, it could also be some hairs that are being broken off and becoming in grown.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Best over the counter antiseptic cream you can buy, tattoo artists the world over will only use this cream after inking a new tattoo to avoid infections.

Do you wear underwear under your chamois shorts, if so I would advise against it.

I'm beginning to think I might have bought the wrong Bepanthan cream! I went to Boots the Chemist and the only Bepanthem cream I could see was a foot long item sold for easing stretch marks on pregnant women! I was beginning to wonder what sex @Gary actually was when I spotted a much smaller packet next to it for nappy rash (care and protection from). Now you are referring to "antiseptic cream". How many more Bepanthen creams are there? :unsure: There was only those two on the shelf.

PS: I wear my padded undershorts next to my skin. This was one of my first questions when I joined the MBR Forum (now no more) shortly after taking up mtb in 2008.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I'm beginning to think I might have bought the wrong Bepanthan cream! I went to Boots the Chemist and the only Bepanthem cream I could see was a foot long item sold for easing stretch marks on pregnant women! I was beginning to wonder what sex @Gary actually was when I spotted a much smaller packet next to it for nappy rash (care and protection from). Now you are referring to "antiseptic cream". How many more Bepanthen creams are there? :unsure: There was only those two on the shelf.

PS: I wear my padded undershorts next to my skin. This was one of my first questions when I joined the MBR Forum (now no more) shortly after taking up mtb in 2008.

There are several types of Bepanthen available, this is the one you need:

Buy Bepanthen Antiseptic Cream 100g Online at Chemist Warehouse®

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm thinking you need something offering more natural support ?

steve.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Thank you for the suggestion. I used to have one of those when I first started MTB. But I had to stop using it after a while because it was too wide to whip back and forth between my legs. It was about time to let it go anyway as my arse had toughened up nicely; I certainly never had problems again for years and years, until last week.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I don't yet have an eMTB right now. The household budget doesn't permit it just yet.

However it was butt soreness, and nearby regions, that had me seeking out dual suspension bikes initially. And an eMTB is an appealing thing to my ageing body.

I had to give up riding my analogue road bike for prostate related complications (and pain). The SpongyWonder was a God send for me:

Noseless bike seat ends all prostate, perineum, and tailbone issues.

I may be the only eMTB'er with such a seat.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't yet have an eMTB right now. The household budget doesn't permit it just yet.

However it was butt soreness, and nearby regions, that had me seeking out dual suspension bikes initially. And an eMTB is an appealing thing to my ageing body.

I had to give up riding my analogue road bike for prostate related complications (and pain). The SpongyWonder was a God send for me:

Noseless bike seat ends all prostate, perineum, and tailbone issues.

I may be the only eMTB'er with such a seat.

Oooh! do I not like that! Even with the saddle down, I use the nose of the saddle to rest against my thighs to help control the angle of the bike, and me to it. But if I had prostate problems causing pain, then I'd be CERTAIN to give it a go, anything rather than stop riding!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
PS: update on my saddle sore.

It is now 9 days since I was affected by the saddle sore. It has almost completely gone and I'd go out on the bike without expecting a problem. The absolutely foul weather recently has helped avoid temptation and me to stay off the bike and my exercise bike. What is left is a red area about 3/4" long by 1/4" wide, not raised, or sensitive to pressure,. But the surface of the skin has peeled off and it has the look and feel of a healed friction burn.

I will be using the Bepanthen cream next ride out, on Tuesday. So, with that, the new padded undershorts and the new saddle, I hope never to have a saddle sore again, ever! :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm sure plenty readers of this thread hope so too Steve :sneaky:

Well, many thanks for their (assumed) good wishes! :)
With over 1130 views, the topic has generated some interest. It can happen to anyone I guess. I wasn't even sure that I'd got one and also not sure what to do to treat it, or how to prevent it happening again etc. This thread has been very useful to me personally and I suspect to many of those 1130 viewers that chose not to contribute. I hope so anyway. :unsure:

I hope that this thread does not come back to haunt me; once it's on line it's for ever! :eek:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This thread has been very useful to me personally and I suspect to many of those 1130 viewers that chose not to contribute.
1130 viewers?
Er... nah...
1000 of those views was me checking for pics ;)

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
When I did the Transalp last year I used Muc-Off Seat Cream Luxury Chamois Cream, a generous slathering each morning. Didn't have any problems.
Parallel to us was a guy biking analog, and he made the mistake of using a pair of chamois shorts he hadn't used for a couple of years. The leather had obviously dried out, and he basically sanded his seat area to the point where he couldn't sit any more. Had to do most of the transalp standing up and in considerable pain.
Don't know if it is worth mentioning, but I opted for non chamois padded bike undies from Löffler. Very comfortable and no chafing.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thanks for the suggestions. :)
No change to the washing regime, but that was a good call. Years ago, Our whole family was affected when our washing powder went "biological". :(
I am riding a bit more than I was a month ago, but still much less than I used to do a few years ago
I have never needed to use anything like chamois cream, but I will give it a go if I have to do so.
I too use Endura padded liners and I noticed today when I ordered another pair that I bought the last ones two years ago, almost exactly. The pair before that just wore out!
I changed my saddle. Worked a treat although I only had pain not sure about sores. See below!

By the way how the hell can you see the extent of the damage, it being where it is? :)

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I changed my saddle. Worked a treat although I only had pain not sure about sores. See below!

By the way how the hell can you see the extent of the damage, it being where it is? :)

Al
Have you ever heard of something called a mirror? It is made of glass, silvered on one side so it reflects the image. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, some to hang on a wall and some to hold in your hand. The only problem is that the image is arse backwards, but that's OK as it is an arse I was viewing! :ROFLMAO:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Have you ever heard of something called a mirror? It is made of glass, silvered on one side so it reflects the image. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, some to hang on a wall and some to hold in your hand. The only problem is that the image is arse backwards, but that's OK as it is an arse I was viewing! :ROFLMAO:
That's conjured up an image that will take me a week to get over.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles