Oh dear! I've got saddle sores!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've been riding for many years and never been troubled with saddle sores before. I thought it was the preserve of long distance riders. I started with some discomfort a few weeks ago and didn't realise it was a saddle sore, didn't know what it was to be honest. It was a red and painful lump under the skin between the scrotum and my right leg, closer to the scrotum. I smeared Savlon (a general purpose antiseptic cream) on it for a few days and the lump went away. No further trouble for about a week.

Then last ride, it struck me again. This time exactly half way between scrotum and right leg. Again, it's under the skin and forms a cluster of small red swellings. I treated with Savlon as before because it worked last time. Doesn't look much, but it is painful if pressed. Off the bike I can go about my daily business - doesn't stop me doing anything, but I can feel every touch of my trouser seams. :eek: I sit with my legs apart a bit more than usual and I sure don't want to ride for a while! :(

After every ride, all the kit touching my skin has always gone in the washing machine. I use a 40degC programme so I add an anti-bacterial liquid to kill any bugs that might be in there. So all should be well in that area. I have read that I should use an anti-septic wipe as soon as possible after every ride, before I drive home. Thoughts?

Today I ordered some new padded short liners and changed my saddle that I've been using for the last year, the one supplied by Focus. I was never 100% about the Focus saddle, but it was "OK". Instead, I fitted my favourite saddle for many years the WTB Rocket V (sadly not made any more, but I had a new spare).

Some questions:

Do you have any advice as to what else I can do?
How long does it take for saddle sores to go away for good?
Now I've been struck, will they return more frequently? (Please no, not that! :eek: )

Please tell me that I'm not doomed to suffer for all eternity. :eek::unsure::(

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Have you changed your washing powder ect? Anything like that could be it, or its just from you riding more. Always best to let it heal before you get back on the saddle. Maybe have a look at chamios cream like: Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream | Chain Reaction Cycles

Personally I'm a big fan of: Endura Hummvee II Shorts - with Liner | Chain Reaction Cycles, I've been using them for 10+ years now. And been through a few pairs.

They come with a boxer style liner and you can get spare liners for about £25 I have a couple and rotate them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you changed your washing powder ect? Anything like that could be it, or its just from you riding more. Always best to let it heal before you get back on the saddle. Maybe have a look at chamios cream like: Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream | Chain Reaction Cycles

Personally I'm a big fan of: Endura Hummvee II Shorts - with Liner | Chain Reaction Cycles, I've been using them for 10+ years now. And been through a few pairs.

They come with a boxer style liner and you can get spare liners for about £25 I have a couple and rotate them.
Thanks for the suggestions. :)
No change to the washing regime, but that was a good call. Years ago, Our whole family was affected when our washing powder went "biological". :(
I am riding a bit more than I was a month ago, but still much less than I used to do a few years ago
I have never needed to use anything like chamois cream, but I will give it a go if I have to do so.
I too use Endura padded liners and I noticed today when I ordered another pair that I bought the last ones two years ago, almost exactly. The pair before that just wore out!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
how long have you been riding your e-bike ?
when I first got mine I found I spent way way more time in the saddle and ended up with a similar thing but not so bad by the sound of it.. now I spend way more time with the saddle in a lower position because these bigger/longer bikes are more comfy like that and its easier to get out of the saddle over lumps and bumps than with a traditional XC ergo setup

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
If they keep returning , try and work out if they are infective.

In creases and spreading out = fungal so use antifungal cream for at least 3 weeks and a hot (60 c) wash for clothing +/- anti fungal powder on the mushroom pants.

Base of hairs and pimply = bacterial. Antiseptics reduce the bugs on the skin but don't really get through the skin - time to see a doc and let her decide between antibiotic creams , tablets, or a knife. If she starts waving a knife make sure she understands you cycle and considers what direction she cuts. Perhaps role play that discussion with your partner a few times to get the wording perfect....

Also check there isn't a mechanical cause - google pilonidal sinus as an example of what a nasty hair can do. ( not whilst eating)

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I got one on each side and they gradually turned into leathery patches. I can now steer the bike with them while coasting downhill no handed.
worth persevering, ask any guitarist!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I............- time to see a doc and let her decide between antibiotic creams , tablets, or a knife. If she starts waving a knife make sure she understands you cycle and considers what direction she cuts. Perhaps role play that discussion with your partner a few times to get the wording perfect....

OMG! :eek:

What direction should she cut then?
left to right: saddle movement pulls the wound apart
front to back: walking slides the wound edges back and forth

:unsure::eek:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

I used to be a really big fan of that - and recommended it everyone I knew who got saddle sores. However, the last tub of the stuff I got was milk rather than cream. So thin you can't even get it on your fingers to apply. I tried to put up a comment (bought on Amazon ISTR) and the comment was rejected as "repetitive"! Looking through recent comments, I see I wasn't the only one complaining.

YMMV, so buy at your own risk. I've changed to another brand.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Sounds like you’re past this stage but diaper rash cream is a great maintenance if you’re on the bike every day or if you develop irritations or pimples

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As a man who seems to struggle to attach his bike to his car on a regular basis .. maybe we should be examining what type of underwear you do or don't wear and at what point it's applied, or supposed to be applied, in your dressing routine.

For instance, is it sometimes forgotten and thrown on externally, superman style ?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Best thing I found is to have a shower straight after riding the bike, works a treat for me. If I don't bother it's guaranteed saddle sores.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Steve thanks for sharing that...us chaps dont like to talk about such matters and just “man up”...:censored:
My question is how to prevent sores in the first place.....am planning a continental trip where I will be cycling every day (canal tow paths so not strenuous) but dont want to risk being struck down.....:confused: guess the advice here should help.....
Hope you recover soon.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
Usually the thing that causes saddle sores is moisture. I found I had to use thinner shorts over my chamois to prevent it from happening. I love my Rocket V seat and have one on 3 bikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...............My question is how to prevent sores in the first place.....am planning a continental trip where I will be cycling every day (canal tow paths so not strenuous) but dont want to risk being struck down.....:confused: guess the advice here should help.....
Hope you recover soon.

I bought some Bepanthen as recommended by @Gary . It is intended as a "Nappy Care Ointment - Gentle everyday care and protection from the causes of nappy rash". There is no mention of the word "antiseptic", "anti-biotic" or "anaesthetic" anywhere on the packaging or on the information leaflet. It works "by forming a transparent, breathable layer, ......protecting against irritants and rubbing."

The working environment is hot, moist, constricted (check, check, check), but contaminated with urine and faeces (well, that depends upon you!).

After reading the instruction leaflet, my understanding is that it is intended as a protective and not a treatment for after problems have occurred. So I will continue with the Savlon twice/day until the problem has gone and then start using the Bepanthen before riding.

In the interests of continuing to share..... The red swelling increased in protrusion from the skin but not in area, and last night it bled a little. No blood today and it feels a bit more comfortable, even after this mornings's Pilates session. Walking normally, but still not crossing my legs!

I'm hoping that the change of saddle and new padded under shorts (the current ones are two years old) will do the major part of preventing this from recurring. But I will use the Bepanthen, I sure as hell don't want this again! :eek:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I've been riding for many years and never been troubled with saddle sores before. I thought it was the preserve of long distance riders. I started with some discomfort a few weeks ago and didn't realise it was a saddle sore, didn't know what it was to be honest. It was a red and painful lump under the skin between the scrotum and my right leg, closer to the scrotum. I smeared Savlon (a general purpose antiseptic cream) on it for a few days and the lump went away. No further trouble for about a week.

Then last ride, it struck me again. This time exactly half way between scrotum and right leg. Again, it's under the skin and forms a cluster of small red swellings. I treated with Savlon as before because it worked last time. Doesn't look much, but it is painful if pressed. Off the bike I can go about my daily business - doesn't stop me doing anything, but I can feel every touch of my trouser seams. :eek: I sit with my legs apart a bit more than usual and I sure don't want to ride for a while! :(

After every ride, all the kit touching my skin has always gone in the washing machine. I use a 40degC programme so I add an anti-bacterial liquid to kill any bugs that might be in there. So all should be well in that area. I have read that I should use an anti-septic wipe as soon as possible after every ride, before I drive home. Thoughts?

Today I ordered some new padded short liners and changed my saddle that I've been using for the last year, the one supplied by Focus. I was never 100% about the Focus saddle, but it was "OK". Instead, I fitted my favourite saddle for many years the WTB Rocket V (sadly not made any more, but I had a new spare).

Some questions:

Do you have any advice as to what else I can do?
How long does it take for saddle sores to go away for good?
Now I've been struck, will they return more frequently? (Please no, not that! :eek: )

Please tell me that I'm not doomed to suffer for all eternity. :eek::unsure::(

How about these seats? First thing we changed when we bought the ebikes. The wife wanted this version which is classed as ‘relaxed’. Mine is slightly smaller and called the ‘moderate’ version. Very comfortable indeed. We had them on our analogue bikes too.

6BEECB1E-4F9D-40B7-AB46-A9666750C9E3.jpeg

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
My question is how to prevent sores in the first place.....

Clean chamois every ride. Use chamois cream, or a topical anti fungal cream while riding. Chamois cream has antifungal in it, but other things to help reduce chafing and irritation. There are plenty of DIY recipies if you don't want to spend a ton of cash on a little tub of it. On long road tours where I'm sitting and spinning in the saddle for hours on end, day after day, I'll also use diaper rash cream at night. On a mtb, I don't ride for as long, or sit still as much so it's less of an issue.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry dude. I wasn't saying Bepanthen would get rid of your sores. I just meant it's a good (and cheap) chamois cream.
I haven't read any of the rest of the thread but if no-one's mentioned it, Keep your gooch clean, dry, airy and off anything that chafes and they'll go away all by themselves.

Would Sir be interested in a nice Kilt?

51Q0l3xirlL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I don't know if this helps but I never wear a chamois next to my skin. My first layer is summer weight Under Armour shorts. They are a compression fit , wick away moisture, and are anti bacterial....and very quick to wash and dry ( 30 degree max). There are other problems waiting to spike you if you wear anything that can lead to transference of body fluids etc from the anus to more forward positions!! ( e.g. prostrate infection).
For virtually all kinds of skin problems from cuts to sores I use Sudocrem

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
To get rid of what's there, try hot compresses a few times a day, for up to a week. This will draw a head which will burst, don't be tempted to squeeze it, you can make it worse.
Once its burst, loads of antiseptic, I used old fashioned TCP.
I've had it about three times, using same seat, chamois and not doing anything different, it's very random, but nearly ruined my coast 2 coast ride last year

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles