Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
Has anyone same thoughts that sl rattles more than ff levo when ride gets rowdy?
Mine rattles quite a lot when bombing rocks and roots ect,where the ff remained very silent.

What can cause it? Other than chain?
Are you running guide brakes? Try taking the caliper off and shake it. Just swapped mine out for XT and the rattles have gone.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
There ya go. Next ‘Florida man’. Drunk guy using ebike to climb and jump toll bridge. Clears sailboat then robs a liquor store.

Reminds me of a sign on a greenway in NC. Obviously someone must have tried it to get the authorities to hastily post this sign.
IMG_1138.JPG

Mandatory e-bike content: I didn't have an e-bike then but sure wish I did after 30 miles of 90 degrees/90% humidity.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Has anyone same thoughts that sl rattles more than ff levo when ride gets rowdy?
Mine rattles quite a lot when bombing rocks and roots ect,where the ff remained very silent.

my SWAT tool is making alot of noise in mine, also there is alot of cable slack under the TPU could be that too.

Tommidd

Jun 19, 2020
California
I have found a genuine reason to own the SL.

Its not handling, Climbing or other silly stuff like that......

Its......

Putting an ebike on a bike rack!!!!
so true! The SL's weight was a big factor for me. I use a Yakima roof rack on an Audi A4 and lifting the SL is very do-able and within the rack's weight capacity (barely).

SL rack.jpg

flippn

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Anyone gonna get one of these?

I have it paired with Push ElevenSix coil shock.

flippn

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Stock travel length? Was it a good upgrade? You’d have to ride pretty hard to bottom the bike out at 20% sag.

Yes, stock travel length for the shock, and I flipped the chip. Altogether it works well for me, I like it. Can't tell much on the progressiveness of the Cascade link since I installed the coil shock at the same time. I'm an intermediate rider at best, haven't bottomed out but I'm not hitting big jumps or drops either.

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Yes, I installed it ~3 weeks ago. Rode it for a week with the stock Fox DPS Performance shock while I waited for my Cane Creek coil shock to come in. I plan to try flipping the chip to see the difference, but at this point I like the linkage. Like flippn, I'm not hitting big jumps.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips

Mine rattles on rough stuff,a metallic sort of sound. On investigation I can only assume that the noise is created by backlash in the internal gears as it doesn't happen when pedalling in really rough stuff. I have gone down the route of 'if it's an issue it'll break and get fixed on warranty'.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Hi did you get the drive train and brakes changed ? If so did you get a decent deal on it
Thanx
yes but the rear cassette had to stay SRAM as did the discs. Shimano discs are centre lock so only the levers and calliper were changed for SLX. The free hub couldnt be changed either to take the 12 speed Shimano cassette. Still all works really well and the brakes are great.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Just ordered a Levo sl comp carbon. Will be switching to a full xt drivetrain and brakes and praxis carbon crank with light wheels carbon wheel set with I9 hubs. Plus range extender. Probably 2 weeks till ready to ride.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Just ordered a Levo sl comp carbon. Will be switching to a full xt drivetrain and brakes and praxis carbon crank with light wheels carbon wheel set with I9 hubs. Plus range extender. Probably 2 weeks till ready to ride.

Congratulations! Like my LBS manager said, "try riding it as is for a few weeks to see what you really want to change.". So I did, then after that I started making it the way I wanted it. :) To clarify: the drivetrain is meh but good enough that I don't see spending $100's to change it; the brakes are ok (for mostly flat terrain); losing a few grams on the crank is not worth anything to me; I went with 27.5" wheels and dropped a couple pounds right there.
As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Can’t stand SRAM shifters and I want decent brakes. The rest is just bling. I’ll probably use Renthal bars I have around and maybe a DVO Diamond fork and shock after I try what’s on it.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa

more of a creaking but i was getting ridiculous noise from the seatpost area , i tried greasing the collar thread but what got rid of it was using a different shim , a problem solvers 30.9 to 34.9

fj80psi

Apr 30, 2020
Redding Ca
Hello, this forum has been great. Ordered my SL 5 weeks ago and broke my leg 4 1/2 weeks ago on my 18 Levo Comp Carbon FF. Decided to do a serious build on the SL which resulted In me getting another SJ Evo frame and some cranks as I had all the stock SL parts and no use for them. Now I have a sellable analog bike. Anyhow, doc says I can pedal carefully and easy. I’m super excited for this thing and rode it to work this am. Cannot wait to be healed completely! It built up 36.5 lbs with a Fox 36, DPX2 and bigger rotor in the rear. I just can’t wait to ride. Thanks for all the posts. -Andy
E05C2E7D-72E4-4F70-9115-ED8E20E47A21.jpeg
CBA8C5A7-6459-40DA-9609-D2570339C993.jpeg
819B5331-AED3-4DAD-9F8D-B8B4607C5E06.jpeg
1C9AF0DB-A0B3-4D07-9524-DC6933D0EEB8.jpeg
6A8C615E-1AE4-4194-85DB-567F80571B15.jpeg
5AD67247-28D2-48ED-95D4-234AE8B5B5D6.jpeg

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Hello, this forum has been great. Ordered my SL 5 weeks ago and broke my leg 4 1/2 weeks ago on my 18 Levo Comp Carbon FF. Decided to do a serious build on the SL

Love it, i have the same colour and always wondered what it would look like with a gloss finish as the Matt paint is hard to keep clean, now i know :)

Last edited:

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Mine rattles on rough stuff,a metallic sort of sound. On investigation I can only assume that the noise is created by backlash in the internal gears as it doesn't happen when pedalling in really rough stuff. I have gone down the route of 'if it's an issue it'll break and get fixed on warranty'.

Big hits, mine is relatively quite. Smaller chatter, the break pads/spring rattle in the caliper is really loud. Like, i though my headset or fork was broken. Mostly in the front caliper, less so at the back.

Spreading the pad spring thing helped a lot, but it's still a bit noisy over certain terrain.

(Expert, with SRAM G2)

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford

Just ordered one from the UK store - cascadecomponents.co.uk. Been hoping this solves my issues with blowing through travel to hard while still having some small bump performance.

simmo-mj99

Sep 7, 2019
West Sussex UK
hi new SL owner here purchased a new comp carbon black-gunmetal in large a week ago from freeborn in horsham, put 120 miles on it. Was a previous 2018 turbo levo carbon comp owner for two years. Just thought i would share a few initial thoughts and some upgrades i have made may help someone whose thinking of buying or already has one.
main use long rides to coast and back along bridal paths railway lines plus big loops cross country so I'm setting this up to be as light and fast as possible but being capable going to the likes of surrey hill if i choose.
little about me 56yo 100+kilos not great fitness (ride mainly in eco 25%/100%) getting 60km with about 40% remaining is just about right amount of effort for getting fitter for me.
couple things I've noticed so far this bike gives me the chance to ride with fit acoustic bike riders 30y olds at a good pace, the cut off point is not hardly noticeable unlike my old levo. i can climb hills which i would normally be pushing up on normal bike but still having to put some effort in. getting to the brakes guide r was so under whelmed with them was thinking about swapping them out for something new but had a couple of ice tec 203mm rotors with mounts + brought some disco pads (copper free) now they have gone from lever pulling all the way to bar s and pretty vague. to firming up the lever and bit point somewhere near shimano feel they are as good now as guide re on my old levo and with not even having to re bleed them.

upgrades so far:
dt swiss h1900 already had

203mm ice-tec rotors front and rear

nuke proof carbon bar + horizon 50mm stem

sram eagle gx cassette & rear mech

vittoria barzo 29x2.6 (in a few days)

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Quick note of thanks to all who post here.
I posted a few weeks ago while I was demoing an SL. I’ve had my new SL for a week now, and just yesterday sold my ‘19 Levo Comp.
Very happy with the switch as the SL fits my riding profile much better than the Ffat Levo did.
Perspectives here and the SL videos I watched got me to try one.
Thank you!

LevoSLonAngoraRidge.jpg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
hi new SL owner here purchased a new comp carbon black-gunmetal in large a week ago from freeborn in horsham, put 120 miles on it. Was a previous 2018 turbo levo carbon comp owner for two years. Just thought i would share a few initial thoughts and some upgrades i have made may help someone whose thinking of buying or already has one.
main use long rides to coast and back along bridal paths railway lines plus big loops cross country so I'm setting this up to be as light and fast as possible but being capable going to the likes of surrey hill if i choose.
little about me 56yo 100+kilos not great fitness (ride mainly in eco 25%/100%) getting 60km with about 40% remaining is just about right amount of effort for getting fitter for me.
couple things I've noticed so far this bike gives me the chance to ride with fit acoustic bike riders 30y olds at a good pace, the cut off point is not hardly noticeable unlike my old levo. i can climb hills which i would normally be pushing up on normal bike but still having to put some effort in. getting to the brakes guide r was so under whelmed with them was thinking about swapping them out for something new but had a couple of ice tec 203mm rotors with mounts + brought some disco pads (copper free) now they have gone from lever pulling all the way to bar s and pretty vague. to firming up the lever and bit point somewhere near shimano feel they are as good now as guide re on my old levo and with not even having to re bleed them.

upgrades so far:
dt swiss h1900 already had

203mm ice-tec rotors front and rear

nuke proof carbon bar + horizon 50mm stem

sram eagle gx cassette & rear mech

vittoria barzo 29x2.6 (in a few days)

Nice one dude. I just put on some Disco Brakes Kevlar and super impressed with them..

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Yeah - I was their prototype tester. we needed to remove some material from the stump jumper link

It does the job - better small bump and if you have similar sag , better bottom out . Just be careful to check clearance at bottom out. We found that some chain stays may be tighter than others if you have modified anything on your geometry (offset bushing).

I ran about 20 psi (10%) more pressure due to the higher leverage ratio

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Quick note of thanks to all who post here.
I posted a few weeks ago while I was demoing an SL. I’ve had my new SL for a week now, and just yesterday sold my ‘19 Levo Comp.
Very happy with the switch as the SL fits my riding profile much better than the Ffat Levo did.
Perspectives here and the SL videos I watched got me to try one.
Thank you!

View attachment 34295
Tahoe?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles