Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
There you go...
Changed tires immediately and made tubeless. Ground Control and Purgatory work so much better than i thought and saved around 500g.
Also changed stem, saddle and handlear to my personal preferences.
I´m blown away by the bike, so natural. I did not know how natural E-MTbiking can be, i definitely stay with the SL and won´t go back to the clumsy LEVO.
View attachment 26084 View attachment 26085 View attachment 26086 View attachment 26087 View attachment 26088 View attachment 26090 View attachment 26091

want!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
View attachment 26074 Levi SL Comp CarbonMedium weighing in at 18.14kg (no pedals)
View attachment 26075
My dirty S-Works Stumpjumper Fatty medium stock except Maxxis tires and no tubes but race face Chester pedals were on it weighing 340g so 13.32kg-.34kg = 12.98kg

Levo SL starts off 5.16kg heavier (with tubes)
I’ll be doing upgrades: carbon wheels, AXS reverb, XX1 cassette, maybe AXS drivetrain upgrade, tires, etc.

my medium Levo Comp Carbon is 21.7kg set to ride (pedals, tubeless, carbon bars, Ergon saddle, Minion DHF).

So we're not quite at the advertised 4kg like for like model saving.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I don't get the need for the dinner plate. Already got assistance - if the terrain's that steep we're in hike-a-bike territory.

Having the 12 speed Eagle on my Stumpjumper, I felt like I wanted it on my EMTB too.
Once I'd ridden the Rail for about 20 minutes, I realised having 12 gears was pretty pointless. I was rarely below 6th gear, and usually up in 8/9/10.

On my demo of the SL, the mech hadn't been tuned properly, and I was unable to go below 4th. If I was in 1/2/3, the chain would slip. There were several instances that I felt like I could do with another few gears. There are some climbs that I genuinely think I would have used 1st gear... even with assistance.

Personally, I'm sticking with the Eagle. If I ride this bike without assistance (quite possible) I definitely need the dinner plate!!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Add in the 1kg if you end up always taking a range extender with you ?

personally I wouldn't use it - but that's a very good point. a chunk of the weight saving on the SL is from shaving down the battery, then the range extender just puts it back!

anyone not relaxed about "range" is better off with a Levo IMO.

but I would say: I have a lot of experience lifting my 21.7kg Levo over gates etc. when I hefted an SL (without extender) at the Spesh PR day if _felt_ lighter than the weight difference on paper made me expect.

maybe there is a weight sweet spot and the gap between full gas Levo and the SL is enough to fit in it.

still to ride one to this is all jaw jaw really!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I’ve gone with the expert... the brakes are better, the Eagle cassette is lighter, and the wheels are carbon. I’ve had Roval carbon wheels in the past, and always found them to be ok.

My upgrades are:
SRAM XX1 AXS upgrade - £658.52
RockShox Reverb AXS - £539.99
RockShox Lyric Ultimate - £643.11
ENVE downhill bar - already own
ENVE stem - already own
Probably a wider front tyre... but waiting to see what fits.

XX1 and Reverb are on their way. Also waiting for more info on 150 vs 160 fork before ordering and which offset.

I really wish there was a frame/motor/battery only option. This too would be another game changer. There’s a lot of people who would rather do their own build on the carbon frame.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I really wish there was a frame/motor/battery only option. This too would be another game changer. There’s a lot of people who would rather do their own build on the carbon frame.

Yep - by the time I get it how I want, I'll probably end up changing over half of the components!
They don't really want to give you a frame only though - as you can probably build a better bike than their S-Works for less money.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Yep - by the time I get it how I want, I'll probably end up changing over half of the components!
They don't really want to give you a frame only though - as you can probably build a better bike than their S-Works for less money.

There’s a lot of people out there who really value buying a whole bike too though. Not everyone nerds out over the spec to the degree we do here. For example, the universal assumption here that Fox 34 are trash when they’re fine for the majority of owners despite how hard they think they ride!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Spesh are making a good margin on those parts, and I bet the volumes help with contract obligations or pricing thresholds.

Generally the rule is it's not possible to build a bike for better VFM than buy one built, not sure that follow for the SL!

Cost/VFM is the number one issue stopping me buying an SL, being able to reuse parts from my Levo and other bits I have would certainly help.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
At the SL day, Spesh certainly seemed open to start importing frames only, if/when is just another wonder we'll have to wait and see. I can't see why they never have before, seems odd to me - I know I saw the levo frame only for sale on an Aus site.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Generally the rule is it's not possible to build a bike for better VFM than buy one built, not sure that follow for the SL!

Depends on what they charged the frame at I guess.
I'd be pretty confident that you could buy a Carbon Comp, strip is down, and build a Founders Edition spec for cheaper than £12500!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
it could well be a decision at corporate. UK is just a satellite, doubt it has real power.

also maybe there are ways to fu the build, they cba with the support and warranty overhead.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
A while back there was confusion around the spec of the Fox 34 forks on the Expert SL (the concept store had ‘Performance Elite’ but the main site had ‘Performance’). Well I got in touch with Specialized at the time and they’ve now got back to me.

The fork is indeed the Performance (which we figured out from pics) however none of the forks on the SL are e-bike versions, just the regular trail versions. For me this is an advantage as they’re lighter and have the 34 internals (not 32). Some may view it as a disadvantage as the ebike versions have thickened parts (at the expense of the size of the internal damper).

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A while back there was confusion around the spec of the Fox 34 forks on the Expert SL (the concept store had ‘Performance Elite’ but the main site had ‘Performance’). Well I got in touch with Specialized at the time and they’ve now got back to me.

I still think I'm going to change to a Lyric Ultimate... but am still unsure whether 150mm v 160mm.... and whether to take a 51 or 44 offset. :unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Swapping out the (pointless IMO) wide range 12 speed drivetrain for a more useful/durable/lighter/massively cheaper shimano 10 speed alternative and being sensible about wheels, dropper and finishing kit it should be possible to build an SL LIGHTER than the S-Works version for not a huge amount of money. If the frames ever became available with motor/battery/controller etc. at a decent price. (I don't really see that happening)
TBF though. Buying the cheapest carbon full build and selling the fork, wheels and drivetrain would easily fund the new parts I'd choose to spec

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Looks nice Jemen and I agree with you as the power delivery on the SL feels so natural.

Ridesantacruz...I did start with the SL Carbon comp which I bought from Scotts Valley Cycle Sport from Andrew. I wanted to use the $2k USD savings over buying the SL S-works to buy my preferred upgrades.

I'm going to start with installing XT 8120 4 Piston brakes and new Shimano rotors front and rear on the stock roval aluminum wheels. The next priority will be carbon bars and stem. Then a 160 mm travel fork and better rear shock.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
The thing I’m more interested in than the weight difference between the SL and a Levo is the motor characteristics. Especially the higher cadence ability of the Creo verses the Bros. i Like to spin at around 90rpm and above so I’m hoping I’ll be able to feel the support at those higher cadence.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
i definitely stay with the SL and won´t go back to the clumsy LEVO.
Well, in all fairness, you guys dont really have mountains out there, more like hills. I ride my regular bike on that kind of stuff & levo in the steep mountains with 5+ hour long climbs.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Collected my XL Expert today...
On the scales in store, no pedals, still with tubes. No mods yet...
The Large I demo’d came up at 17.70 on my scales. The XL is 17.88.

B756B031-7437-459A-83E0-3D2E2CA2273E.jpeg

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Collected my XL Expert today...
On the scales in store, no pedals, still with tubes. No mods yet...
The Large I demo’d came up at 17.70 on my scales. The XL is 17.88.

View attachment 26107
curious - can you confirm which fork the expert has? Does it have the GRIP damper and the EVOL airspring?

NVM -i see the post above confirming it's a Performance

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
yeah there's no getting round this. I really like short CS bikes. right now the SL is it.
Well, in all fairness, you guys dont really have mountains out there, more like hills. I ride my regular bike on that kind of stuff & levo in the steep mountains with 5+ hour long climbs.
Erm.., we don't have mountains in Austria?

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Can anyone confirm, what is the model number of the praxis Carbon cranks off of the S-Works SL. I am not seeing it in their site? Are they the same as the Creo cranks?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles