Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
So the bike is finnaly complete. The only thing I really regret is ordering the OneUp V2 on tuesday and finding out the new one is out on friday.

Fox 38 Factory
X0 Group T-type (sram dub stock cranks)
DT Swiss FR1500 wheels
- CushCore Pro on the back
- Ultra Gravity Schwalbe Magic Marry and Big Betty
OneUp V2 210mm
Ergojn Enduro Seat
Hope Tech 4 V4 Brakes
Renhthal Cockpit
Crankbrothers Mullet DH

Size S5, 20.5kg (with pedals)
1000015495.jpg
1000015497.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
i ordered the kids cranks but haven‘t build up the
Do you know if those cranks fit on the Kenevo SL 1.1 motor? The part number : S211600035 for the
TURBO LEVO SL HT KIDS crankset, 155mm /DUB/ 1.2 motor is a Specialized part number. Where did you order it from if its a SRAM part?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
After doing a little research, I was able to answer my own question, which I am sure was already answered else where. The cranks that fit the Gen 2 (1.2) motor do not fit the Gen 1 (1.1) motor. I guess I should be some what thankful as the cranks I was able to source out, which are available locally, are not as expensive as the Kenevo/Levo type! I will continue to work on my delusion that 165mm is not THAT much of a difference from 160mm when it comes to cranks and be glad than I am NOT reaching for my credit card to buy these, as cool as they are! I am sure I will forget all about the desire to want shorter cranks once I am back riding again.

Kenevo and Levo: Titanium Specialized eCrank

ti cranks.jpg

Kenevo SL Gen 2: SRAM DUB Mount eCranks for SRAM / Brose and Gen 2 Specialized SL

anad cranks.jpg

MatCret

Jan 21, 2024
France, FarWest France
Anybody have some tips with the KSL2 suspension? I just got it but I think I might need to put some tokens in the shock. Any expiriences?
Assuming you started with the recommended 30% sag (full kit, not naked) and the base compressions and rebounds, tuned the balance front and rear (may take some time...), if you bottom out too easily or too often you may start adding volume reducers (and of course check back the sag and balance feel). That's how I tune my shock/fork. It can tke some time to get it right, note every change/feel.

By the way, some of us are trying to know the model year of the X2 fitted on the KSL2, can you tell us what your shock's serial reveal about it this page...?
Bike Help Center | FOX

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Anybody have some tips with the KSL2 suspension? I just got it but I think I might need to put some tokens in the shock. Any expiriences?
Why do you think you need volume spacers? What type of trials do you ride and what exactly is happening that you dont like?

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
Assuming you started with the recommended 30% sag (full kit, not naked) and the base compressions and rebounds, tuned the balance front and rear (may take some time...), if you bottom out too easily or too often you may start adding volume reducers (and of course check back the sag and balance feel). That's how I tune my shock/fork. It can tke some time to get it right, note every change/feel.

By the way, some of us are trying to know the model year of the X2 fitted on the KSL2, can you tell us what your shock's serial reveal about it this page...?
Bike Help Center | FOX
The shock that came with my KSL2 frameset was made in 2022.

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Almost done with my bike (steerer tube still needs to be cut once I found my ideal stem height). Quite similar to the bike of @Teoslav.

- Size S3
- Fox 38 Factory
- Shigura (XTR & MT7)
- Stans MK4 w/ DT Swiss 240s
- Race Face Turbine R stem & Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35
- Wolftooth Resolve 160mm Dropper (31.6)
- SRAM XX Eagle T-Type Cassette & GX Derailleur
- Inserts Front & Rear Rimpact Pro V2, EXO+ Front (Maxgrip)/ EXO+ Rear (Maxterra)
- Ergon Enduro Saddle

Weight: 19,3kg (without padels)

I am coming from a Full Fat Kenevo (Fox 38, Full 29er Setup, EXT E-Storia) and it was my first ride on the KSL2. The first three key impressions were:
1.) I was really positively surprised regarding motor noise (not much more than on the brose)
2.) How much the weight difference (4,8kg to my FF Kenevo) is noticeable - more than expected.
3.) The bike is absolutely silent on the downhill. No rattle, no chain slap, nothing. Love it!

I was able to do extremely steep climbs but of course MUCH more power needed (>550 watts of rider power in Turbo 70/100) compared to the FF Kenevo (no surprise though). Will keep the FF Kenevo next to the KSL as I love them both for their individual riding characteristics.

2024-01-27 13.03.44.jpg 2024-01-27 13.02.36.jpg 2024-01-28 13.39.32.jpg

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
I had my first ride on it and I was totally lost.

The stack height was way too low. I put the stem in a neutral position which was way to low for my style of riding.

This is the first bike I rode with 170mm cranks and the feeling is very bad. I always have a fear of hitting rocks with my cranks but this is waaay too long for me.

The shock was set up too hard. So I let out some air from the reccomendation settings and it felt better. That is why I asked if anybody uses tokens. My logic behind that was that it is going to be less air and easier to bottom out. I did not bottom it out because I am not relaxed and attacking but rather very afraid and composed. Thats why I asked wanted to know what is everybody else rocking

The last thing is the fork rebound. The rear end is very poppy and the front is not. This may also be my body positiong as I am not feeling like at home with the bike atm. Anybody else feels like this? I opened the rebound as much as it goes but on any jump I feel like the fork is too slow, maybe I should just slow down the shock.

So this is all after a short ride, I had to get back to work. Time conditions are as bad as it gets with all the snow so I am very limited to when and where I ride.

I will attach the picture of the shock QR code so you can check for the year number. But on the box of the frame it came in said it was made like march 2023 so I doubt it has the 2024 float x2.

20240129_105500.jpg

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Bare in mind with stock oil in fork & shock the rebound is going to be quite off during Winter. In shock, the oil heats up enough but fork will stay slow in winter unless you change for much lower viscosity. 38 tends to sit slightly lower perceptively lowering stack, I personally like my S3 KSL (but with 170 ZEB), with almost 40mm under stem, + 30mm Bars and I am only 177cm tall. I originally did that because I needed space to mount child-seat, but I kept it and really like the tall front-end ala Jack Moir style :- ). Now it keeps me nice and centered and lets me push front-end with more conviction.

The bike felt fairly tall to me until I mulleted it. It's weird because my YT Capra had very close specs, same reach and felt normal as dual 29" but somehow the KSL just feels like bigger bike than numbers suggests. Bigger as in "front-heavy" & "long in corners". Mullet fixed it for me.
I wonder if you also wouldn't like Aenomaly Switchgrade. Can you get seat low-enough with S5 and 210mm OneUp? The Switchgrade changed the seat angle into pure downhill position, it's amazing thing.

I don't know how tall you are, but given you ride S5, have a look at Ben Cathro's bike. 55mm stem spacers + 38mm bars on top. Bike Check: Ben Cathro's Santa Cruz Megatower is Smaller than You'd Think - Pinkbike

Last edited:

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
I found mine was fine without but I did put one in and it made a small difference in that I could run with slightly lower pressure and still not bottom out. But I foud the difference was marginal

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
I had my first ride on it and I was totally lost.

The stack height was way too low. I put the stem in a neutral position which was way to low for my style of riding.

This is the first bike I rode with 170mm cranks and the feeling is very bad. I always have a fear of hitting rocks with my cranks but this is waaay too long for me.

The shock was set up too hard. So I let out some air from the reccomendation settings and it felt better. That is why I asked if anybody uses tokens. My logic behind that was that it is going to be less air and easier to bottom out. I did not bottom it out because I am not relaxed and attacking but rather very afraid and composed. Thats why I asked wanted to know what is everybody else rocking

The last thing is the fork rebound. The rear end is very poppy and the front is not. This may also be my body positiong as I am not feeling like at home with the bike atm. Anybody else feels like this? I opened the rebound as much as it goes but on any jump I feel like the fork is too slow, maybe I should just slow down the shock.

So this is all after a short ride, I had to get back to work. Time conditions are as bad as it gets with all the snow so I am very limited to when and where I ride.

I will attach the picture of the shock QR code so you can check for the year number. But on the box of the frame it came in said it was made like march 2023 so I doubt it has the 2024 float x2.

View attachment 133383

Don’t worry, once you dial in the suspension this bike is an absolute beast. Stack height is pretty low though, I ride a 180 mm 38 up front and had still to put some spacers under the stem.
Winter riding doesn’t help with suspension setup either.

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
The charging cover has broken, that didn't last long!

I presume specialized will warranty it?

If so Anyway I can get them to send me one with out dragging my bike to a store for them to undo four screws and fit a new one?

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
1707246326975.png

ksl 2 owners, did your frame come with this spider retaining ring (F) or is this not needed anymore with the new dub cranks?

also my spider looks different, doesn‘t have the spider bolt (E), kinda confused right now

MatCret

Jan 21, 2024
France, FarWest France
View attachment 133991

ksl 2 owners, did your frame come with this spider retaining ring (F) or is this not needed anymore with the new dub cranks?

also my spider looks different, doesn‘t have the spider bolt (E), kinda confused right now
Hi! No, it's another spider ring part reference because the "spider bolt, E" is not here. Just got the frame kit today!
Frame kit assembly guide is not up to date.

Yeah, something is missing or we missed it while unboxing... look at those pictures:
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 22.38.42.png
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 22.38.06.png
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 22.28.09.png
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 22.27.10.png

Last edited:

MatCret

Jan 21, 2024
France, FarWest France
Hi, any informations about the "please update before riding" message on the Mastermind TCU (KSL2)?

Seems like a 15km/h speed limit engaged before making this system update ... Maybe a way to take the owner to a Specialized retailer, I can't find a way to make this update...

MatCret

Jan 21, 2024
France, FarWest France

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Hi, any informations about the "please update before riding" message on the Mastermind TCU (KSL2)?

Seems like a 15km/h speed limit engaged before making this system update ... Maybe a way to take the owner to a Specialized retailer, I can't find a way to make this update...
Yeah, all ebikes that we build from the shop require an update out of the box done via the specialized software.

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
Yeah, all ebikes that we build from the shop require an update out of the box done via the specialized software.
i tried to turn on the bike yesterday, do i still need to connect something when its a complete build from the framekit? it didn’t turn on and it didn’t come with any instructions. was late so i called it a day, would have checked all cables next

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
i tried to turn on the bike yesterday, do i still need to connect something when its a complete build from the framekit? it didn’t turn on and it didn’t come with any instructions. was late so i called it a day, would have checked all cables next
I got the frame only from my LBS (Levo SL 1.2) back in May. I was desperate to get it for the weekend so I could spend Sunday building it. They told me they hadn't had time to update it, so I'd have to take it back later.
I took it away and built it - and when switched on it displayed a turtle on the screen and said it needed updated.

I took the complete bike back to the LBS, and they did an update that made it usable.

Chriso82

Jan 28, 2021
Worcestershire
I have for sale a ext storia 230x62.5 shock if anyone is interested Coming off my Kenevo sl this weekend.
£550 posted, comes with a 500lb spring. I can £500 with no spring

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I have for sale a ext 230x62.5 shock if anyone is interested Coming off my Kenevo sl this weekend.
£550 posted, comes with a 500lb spring. I can £500 with no spring

Which generation shock?

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
Just got my replacement 2024 factory X2 from fox. She's beautiful. But whoever designed the high speed speed rebound is a full on sadist. Is the only way to adjust it taking the shock off? I can't easily turn it with the suggested 2mm hex

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles