Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It does it in every gear but is more noticable when I pedal with low cadence, low shift (9+). The skipping repeats every 3-4 seconds with cranks everytime in different position (3-4 pedal rotations).
I will try the chain but the "click" & skip comes from the motor itself - I am almost positive about this cause you also feel it in thru the pedals.
At a cadence of 60rpm with a 34 tooth front ring your chain does a revolution in just over three seconds.

I think that's your answer.

Maybe get someone to watch the derailleur cage to see if it 'kicks' when you get the skip.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I assume Mojo tried rotating the air can to see if it would clear with the valves in a different orientation?

Last edited by a moderator:

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
At a cadence of 60rpm with a 34 tooth front ring your chain does a revolution in just over three seconds.

I think that's your answer.

Maybe get someone to watch the derailleur cage to see if it 'kicks' when you get the skip.
Tnx I’ll give it a closer look. I also have one spare chain so I’ll just change it and try again!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I assume Mojo tried rotating the air can to see if it would clear with the valves in a different orientation?
The can itself is quite large and wouldn’t have much clearance, the air valves can only go up or down on an angle but would foul anyway.
In saying this I have not tried it myself but my eye measure says not even close.

102E771B-077B-49DB-B63A-77C0B5871751.jpeg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Adjusting the rebound would be a bit of a faff too I bet.

I've got an ext coil shock and Era V2 forks on another bike (Fulgur Mula) and I really like them, but I'm keen to keep the SL as SL as I can. If the X2 shock bursts, which it seems is quite common, I'll look at fitting something else I expect, maybe Ohlins air if the EXT Aria can't be made to fit the KSL.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah I’m running Ohlins and super happy with it. Just got it professionally tuned and yeah it’s crushing it now.
I think what most people forget is any of the big brands are all really good if built and set up properly.
In my experience with Rockshox, Fox, Ohlins and EXT, all needed a rebuild from poor factory QC. Some are just better from factory but all can be modified to better improve them and then obviously set up to your weight/riding style.
These few steps should be the first thing done if looking for ultimate performance/feel.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Yeah I’m running Ohlins and super happy with it. Just got it professionally tuned and yeah it’s crushing it now.
I think what most people forget is any of the big brands are all really good if built and set up properly.
In my experience with Rockshox, Fox, Ohlins and EXT, all needed a rebuild from poor factory QC. Some are just better from factory but all can be modified to better improve them and then obviously set up to your weight/riding style.
These few steps should be the first thing done if looking for ultimate performance/feel.
Mine's currently back in the shop for a leaking fork rebound adjuster as it happens.

Fox quality seems to have dropped off a cliff lately. I'm on my 4th transfer dropper post on one of my other bikes, X2 shocks are known for spewing their guts out and my new forks leak. I also burst a DPS shock on one of my other bikes but I was being a bit silly on it, given the build.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

Fox quality seems to have dropped off a cliff lately. I'm on my 4th transfer dropper post on one of my other bikes, X2 shocks are known for spewing their guts out and my new forks leak. I also burst a DPS shock on one of my other bikes but I was being a bit silly on it, given the build.
Yeah QC in the last 3 years as been shocking. Like I said all brands have issues but after a first service with a few mods they run mint!
I had a local suspension guy (Mtb Suspension Works if your in Melb, Aus) come out and watch me ride and then tune to suit. Was a great, valuable experience and the payoff… bike is bang on where it should be. What I thought I knew was wrong and now I am in love with my bike all over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Did he say what aspect of the shock makes it a no-go?
sorry i took so long. we measured the space of the tunnel on my bike on the phone and he confirmed the valves wouldn't fit through the tunnel. Chris was a gent and gave me a little bit of compo as it was he who recommended me the shock. i now have the E-Storia Fitted. cant ride it yet as got knee injury.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
sorry i took so long. we measured the space of the tunnel on my bike on the phone and he confirmed the valves wouldn't fit through the tunnel. Chris was a gent and gave me a little bit of compo as it was he who recommended me the shock. i now have the E-Storia Fitted. cant ride it yet as got knee injury.
I was having a good look at my bike and I think part of the problem with the Aria is that both valves are together, making that area more bulky. If they redesigned it so that the valves are on either side of the air can then it would fit more bikes because it wouldn't be any wider than the air can itself, with the valves at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, if you follow me?
I don't think the valves could be on top of the can or they would probably foul the damper head when into the stroke.

Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I was having a good look at my bike and I think part of the problem with the Aria is that both valves are together, making that area more bulky. If they redesigned it so that the valves are on either side of the air can then it would fit more bikes because it wouldn't be any wider than the air can itself, with the valves at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, if you follow me?
I don't think the valves could be on top of the can or they would probably foul the damper head when into the stroke.
I was gutted when he phoned me. Even more gutted I have knee injury. If they bring out a v2 they should redesign those valves as you said.

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van
Do you know what he did? What characteristics changed?

I’m liking my Ohlins, but would like a bit more bottom out support…

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

Doesn't the Ohlins have an internal hydraulic bump stop? I assumed that they did, my quad had Ohlins and that had a HBS, though it wasn't adjustable like the EXT one is.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

He didn’t touch the internals, just adjusted the settings for me as I’m a muppet when it comes to that. I had always set up my suspension to always have 5% to 10% of travel left for those big hits. He suggested I should set it up so that I use all the travel for the trail I am riding and not to worry about those random big hits. He said the shock can take bottom outs fine as they have decent bump stops.
Think he had my HSC open and adjusted rebound to what I felt comfortable with. It rides perfect for me now.

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van
Doesn't the Ohlins have an internal hydraulic bump stop? I assumed that they did, my quad had Ohlins and that had a HBS, though it wasn't adjustable like the EXT one is.
Nope. It has an ‘Improved’ bumper stop…. I’d think it could be tuned to ramp up a bit, as more pressure builds in the shock.

Imanol

Jan 30, 2023
Bizkaia
Hello, this is my KSl, converted to a mullet, Dt 1900H 27.5 wheel and Onza Porcupine 2.40 tyre. Other changes from the original are the front tyre changed to Onza Porcupine 29×2.40 and a 30mm Race Face stem.
The geometry in "High" position: 33.5cm Bottom Bracket and 63.2° steering angle, the behavior is a little more like a DH, which is what I was looking for.
The next thing will be to install a 180mm air shaft and change the direction to -1°, changing to "Low" the BB should be on 33.3cm and the direction on 63.7°.
The current weight with pedals is 18.60kg (41 Lbs)
20230717_212709~3.jpg

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Hello, this is my KSl, converted to a mullet, Dt 1900H 27.5 wheel and Onza Porcupine 2.40 tyre. Other changes from the original are the front tyre changed to Onza Porcupine 29×2.40 and a 30mm Race Face stem.
The geometry in "High" position: 33.5cm Bottom Bracket and 63.2° steering angle, the behavior is a little more like a DH, which is what I was looking for.
The next thing will be to install a 180mm stem to the fork and change the direction to -1°, changing to "Low" the BB should be on 33.3cm and the direction on 63.7°.
The current weight with pedals is 18.60kg (41 Lbs) View attachment 120566
Nice rig! I did the same, 180mm fork helped but I also got a set of Praxis 160mm cranks, that really helped with the pedal strikes post mullet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles