Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I could well imagine that S will bring out the 1.2 for their S-works models only - and over time will offer for lesser models too.
This way they will be again able to offer an elevated product to their Sworks fanbase
We drew a similar conclusion yesterday on our ride.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
For anyone thinking of getting the new EXT Aria air shock for there Kenevo SL.

It won’t fit. (Gutted)

So it’s back to my original plan and it’s now a coil.. I’m a little gutted to be fair.

I actually ordered on the guidance of Chris from Mojo. After ordering hes phoned me to say the bad news.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
I’ve spoken to someone and unless they are telling me porkies this KSL is not released and won’t be. Unless something changed
At the top. This is from a very reputable source as he runs one of the biggest shops in the uk. I would be surprised if this is real as why would spesh release just a frame ? Or frame only first without an embargo in place.. spesh have no reason to release a new KSL just after 2 year run when Levo SL had near a 3 and half year run.

In addition to that: Specialized is still offering the colors from the presentation in May 2021! There have been no changes at all since over 2 years now. This means to me: they must have many, many bikes still in stock. As well as the Specialized dealers. If they change the motor in the KSL Gen. 1: who is going to buy a KSL with the old motor? In less than 12 months the KSL is 3 years old. Under these circumstances I would wait until the KSL Gen. 2 will be released.

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
In addition to that: Specialized is still offering the colors from the presentation in May 2021! There have been no changes at all since over 2 years now. This means to me: they must have many, many bikes still in stock. As well as the Specialized dealers. If they change the motor in the KSL Gen. 1: who is going to buy a KSL with the old motor? In less than 12 months the KSL is 3 years old. Under these circumstances I would wait until the KSL Gen. 2 will be released.
yeah wait, it’s coming! Levo SL was delayed by a year, specialized confirmed this in the Levo SL release video. So it is not far fetched to think 2024 will bring the new KSL with 50nm motor.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Why not just make the new motor backwards compatible for people who don’t want two spend thousands on a new bike I sold my KSL because I didn’t like the motor if I knew I could replace it with new motor I might of kept it

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
yeah wait, it’s coming! Levo SL was delayed by a year, specialized confirmed this in the Levo SL release video. So it is not far fetched to think 2024 will bring the new KSL with 50nm motor.
The only two changes I would ask for is not another motor, but a steeper seat tube angle and a lower seat tube where you can slam the dropper post completely in;)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Why not just make the new motor backwards compatible for people who don’t want two spend thousands on a new bike I sold my KSL because I didn’t like the motor if I knew I could replace it with new motor I might of kept it

Because they don’t sell any new bikes

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
I have some problems with cracking in my headset and I figured out this is due to a design failure eg. floating headstem/headset.
Does anyone know if this concave fixed spacer instead of more ring spacers kind of solves the issue or should I look into aftermarket headsets instead?
What is the model of this concave-ish spacer?
How did you eliminate the cracking?

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 21.44.25.png

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I have some problems with cracking in my headset and I figured out this is due to a design failure eg. floating headstem/headset.
Does anyone know if this concave fixed spacer instead of more ring spacers kind of solves the issue or should I look into aftermarket headsets instead?
What is the model of this concave-ish spacer?
How did you eliminate the cracking?

View attachment 119403
that spacer should be in your pack when you buy the bike. Its certainly in my levos pack

Beboski

Feb 26, 2020
Italy
Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Strange those bikes have been leaked as of now the frameset on Bikeinn has been removed. Can’t find it. My new S-works now has fresh 2 year warranty and now I’m thinking they can’t keep making the 1.1 for warranty purposes as it just wouldn’t be viable for them to do.. with the half price current KSL it may be a little better to swallow when the new 1.2 gets released.. I’m taking what I get told now with a pinch of salt…

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Website still worked yesterday, the White is OK-ish I guess but that blue off-brand smurf monstrosity is really going to be "popular". Was at local Spec dealer few days ago and all unsold bikes were Salmon colored KSL Comps. Weird that there were so many beautiful and rich colors for LSL gen1 (gen2 is once again just weird) but almost all KSLs except for S-Works and Black Comp were rather odd.
Nice to see 38 Rhytm fork instead of the 36 one, now the Comp build is almost flawless for the price.

Anyone had latest firmware installed and feels like the engine is tweaked all differently? The one that comes with new presets (30/30 ; 40/90 ; 80/100). Can't put my finger on it but it feels different, less over-run, but less willing to give me the power as well. Once corrected to identical custom presets I had as previously of course.

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
Did anyone try aftermarket extender batteries on KSL 1.1 motor?
Which one did you buy?
I am looking at this 240/480wh option but would rather buy the one which fits in a bottle cage. Did anyone experiment with 200+wh ones from aliexpress?

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
I bought KSL in march 2023 and had a motor issue after 2 weeks of riding (2mm gap in the cranks).
The store ordered a replacement motor and now after month and a half (800km) I noticed another anomaly - when I ride around 20 km/h in my 9-10th gear with continuous cadence I notice a repeating error which repeats itself every 4-5 seconds. It feels like the motor would "skip" a "teeth of a gear".
Try to imagine a full turn of cranks and let's say that 1/100 of a turn skips or somehow looses power for a tenth of a second.
I am thinking about returning the bike (which is really likeable downhill) and asking for replacement of the motor for 1.2 version, which should have less design faults like 1.1 version.
I know that the 1.2 motor is hardware-wise 100% backwards compatible and I think that legally they should give me the new motor if this is the second faulty motor in 3 months of usage.
Either 1.2 motor or I return the bike and want my money back because of hidden errors of the item that I've bought (that is the law in EU).
I don't care if they say that the software is not compatible - this can be rewritten and I can prove that easily.

Does anyone else have similar experience with KSL and 1.1 motors?

nicknameless

Aug 14, 2020
Birmingham
I bought KSL in march 2023 and had a motor issue after 2 weeks of riding (2mm gap in the cranks).
The store ordered a replacement motor and now after month and a half (800km) I noticed another anomaly - when I ride around 20 km/h in my 9-10th gear with continuous cadence I notice a repeating error which repeats itself every 4-5 seconds. It feels like the motor would "skip" a "teeth of a gear".
Try to imagine a full turn of cranks and let's say that 1/100 of a turn skips or somehow looses power for a tenth of a second.
I am thinking about returning the bike (which is really likeable downhill) and asking for replacement of the motor for 1.2 version, which should have less design faults like 1.1 version.
I know that the 1.2 motor is hardware-wise 100% backwards compatible and I think that legally they should give me the new motor if this is the second faulty motor in 3 months of usage.
Either 1.2 motor or I return the bike and want my money back because of hidden errors of the item that I've bought (that is the law in EU).
I don't care if they say that the software is not compatible - this can be rewritten and I can prove that easily.

Good luck with that. Legally they absolutely do not have to give you the new motor.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Website still worked yesterday, the White is OK-ish I guess but that blue off-brand smurf monstrosity is really going to be "popular". Was at local Spec dealer few days ago and all unsold bikes were Salmon colored KSL Comps. Weird that there were so many beautiful and rich colors for LSL gen1 (gen2 is once again just weird) but almost all KSLs except for S-Works and Black Comp were rather odd.
Nice to see 38 Rhytm fork instead of the 36 one, now the Comp build is almost flawless for the price.

When the KSL was released I never thought that my favourite color would be the brassy yellow. But in the meantime and after I´ve seen it in person: it is!;)

DaveG01

Mar 27, 2023
Shills
Strange those bikes have been leaked as of now the frameset on Bikeinn has been removed. Can’t find it. My new S-works now has fresh 2 year warranty and now I’m thinking they can’t keep making the 1.1 for warranty purposes as it just wouldn’t be viable for them to do.. with the half price current KSL it may be a little better to swallow when the new 1.2 gets released.. I’m taking what I get told now with a pinch of salt…
Warranties are normally from the date of purchase not from the date of any repair. Spesh may look after you out of warranty but don't have to so don't bank on it 🤞

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
For anyone thinking of getting the new EXT Aria air shock for there Kenevo SL.

It won’t fit. (Gutted)

So it’s back to my original plan and it’s now a coil.. I’m a little gutted to be fair.

I actually ordered on the guidance of Chris from Mojo. After ordering hes phoned me to say the bad news.
Did he say what aspect of the shock makes it a no-go?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Warranties are normally from the date of purchase not from the date of any repair. Spesh may look after you out of warranty but don't have to so don't bank on it 🤞
Some places have a 'reset' on warranties so that when a part is replaced it starts with a fresh warranty. It stops manufacturers from fobbing you off with a straight replacement of an inadequate product that should really have been recalled in the first place.

America has the 'lemon law', which is different but kinda has the same effect.

Consumer law in the UK says that products must have a 'reasonable life expectancy', but it's up to a court to decide what is 'reasonable'.

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
I have the Levo Sl, the Turbo Levo and the Kenevo SL, I ride in the PNW, I ride the Kenevo SL 90% of the time, bike is just amazing!
So when the new Levo SL came out I called the dealer where I buy my bikes asking him if the new motor was compatible, he said it is, and I could buy one in December or January to put it on my Kenevo SL.
Really hope this is true. Price in the $1,300 range.
Bussines wise the older Kenevos SLs are cheaper, people can still buy one of those put the new motor and will be less than a 2024 new bike maybe?
I just hope this is true.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I have the Levo Sl, the Turbo Levo and the Kenevo SL, I ride in the PNW, I ride the Kenevo SL 90% of the time, bike is just amazing!
So when the new Levo SL came out I called the dealer where I buy my bikes asking him if the new motor was compatible, he said it is, and I could buy one in December or January to put it on my Kenevo SL.
Really hope this is true. Price in the $1,300 range.
Bussines wise the older Kenevos SLs are cheaper, people can still buy one of those put the new motor and will be less than a 2024 new bike maybe?
I just hope this is true.
That's very much what I'm thinking.

I've bought the current KSL with basically a £4000 discount, and to be honest I'll be perfectly happy using it as it is, but if it can have the extra power when the 1.2 motors become available I'll probably do that and have the 1.1 as a spare.

Still a big saving.

Reactions: Dax

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

That sounds to me like a combination of a stiff chain link and maybe a damaged sprocket, that causes it to skip when the two come into the same phase.

If it was the motor it would do it in any gear, and the gears inside the motor turn much, much faster than the frequency of your skip.

It's wouldn't skip either, there are no chains inside the motor to skip, and if there was a damaged tooth it would make a noise every time it rotates.

I'd start by swapping the chain. I it doesn't fix it you've got a spare so there's nothing wasted.

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
That sounds to me like a combination of a stiff chain link and maybe a damaged sprocket, that causes it to skip when the two come into the same phase.

If it was the motor it would do it in any gear, and the gears inside the motor turn much, much faster than the frequency of your skip.

It's wouldn't skip either, there are no chains inside the motor to skip, and if there was a damaged tooth it would make a noise every time it rotates.

I'd start by swapping the chain. I it doesn't fix it you've got a spare so there's nothing wasted.
It does it in every gear but is more noticable when I pedal with low cadence, low shift (9+). The skipping repeats every 3-4 seconds with cranks everytime in different position (3-4 pedal rotations).
I will try the chain but the "click" & skip comes from the motor itself - I am almost positive about this cause you also feel it in thru the pedals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles