Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
Thank you for the replies! I'm ordering likely today. I'm hung up on sizing. I ride a Ripmo size medium. I learned about RAD in this thread and based this my reach should be about 435. So i should order an S2.

Anyone with an S2 dislike the shorter dropper post? I'm worried about a 125mm drop vs 150.

I'm 5'8" (about 172cm) fwiw

Last edited:

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Go with a S3. S2 will be to short for 172 cm. My son is 12 yr and around 168 cm and is perfectly comfortable on a S3. Is a big bike for big terrain, after all. Downsizing doesn’t make much sense for this bike keeping it’s purpose in mind.

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
I'm 5'6" and have the S3 KSL, and before this, I had an S2 Enduro. The bars just felt a bit too in my lap, and the front wheel felt a bit too close underneath me - The bike is really meant to be ridden hard over the front, but having the bars and front wheel too close makes you have to shift your body weight back a bit more, like with old school geo.

I definitely got comfortable quickly on the S2, but those were my initial fit impressions of the S2. When I got the S3, I felt at home right away. To note, I prefer choose frame size based on fit, not handling. If I want a more nimble or stable bike, I choose a different bike altogether.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I am 177cm (5.9"?), 82cm legs (32" inseam) and I ride S3 with 35mm stem, very high stack (at least 4cm under stem), and 27.5" mullet wheel in back. So I considerably shortened the effective Reach and also cockpit length while seated.

And sometimes I wonder how S2 would felt. There is hardly need for any stability as this bike is 20KG and has 63 degree head angle, so it's velcro-ed to ground twice as good as my previous bike with identical reach number (YT Capra).

I feel that S3 was good choice as universal, very stable platform, but if I was more playful rider, S2 would be just as good. Can't go wrong with either.
I have to say the bike felt big to me while dual 29" in the corners, with my technique I struggled somewhat. Swapping to 27,5"... it suddenly feels perfect.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Here come the people that have to shit on everything
Overpriced? Value is subjective. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay. I sold all of my first order in 20 minutes. But you know something? Some people just made better choices after high school
Underpeced? Sure they could have just thrown an EP8 or a Gen 4 Bosch on there, put on some bling forks, but that’s what everyone else does. Only a handful of brands do anything innovative
Underpowered? Only if you’re a total pussy
I have owned lots of Specialized bikes. I don’t buy a first Specialized EMTB because of early motor issue. But they own the market in the states and I love them and will own one in the future.

mighty79

May 15, 2023
Germany
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, just introduced myself in the newbie section.

I’m posting here as I got a challenge in front of me. Would be great if you could help.

I got a Kenevo SL in S5 for an absolute bargain while still being in the window of possible return.

The challenge I face:

- I‘m 6’1 with 2’11 inseam / 186cm tall 89cm inseam
- I got my Levo in S4, always found a bit too small.
- I did all the fitting guides on Specialized website and it suggested S5 for the Kenevo SL, even when I went a few cm shorter in the calculator - now the bike arrived and it feels a bit too big

Unfortunately, I had a crash the other day and won’t be able to get back on the bike for a few weeks. So I can’t check it properly and only sit on it in the basement.

Should I return it? Should I keep it?

What would you do? I’ll never get a Kenevo SL that cheap again while it all wouldn’t help if it’s too long for me …

thanks in advance for any advise

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I have an S4 that I always felt was a bit long. I swapped out the standard stem for a shorter one and slightly higher bars. Also steepened the head angle. I feel a lot more comfortable now and with the head angle steepened it’s quicker steering, but still confidence inspiring in the steep technical stuff.
Guess what I’m saying is they are very adjustable so have a play with the settings 👍

Jay29er

Subscriber
Jun 30, 2022
TN

I’m posting here as I got a challenge in front of me. Would be great if you could help.

I got a Kenevo SL in S5 for an absolute bargain while still being in the window of possible return.

The challenge I face:

- I did all the fitting guides on Specialized website and it suggested S5 for the Kenevo SL, even when I went a few cm shorter in the calculator - now the bike arrived and it feels a bit too big

Unfortunately, I had a crash the other day and won’t be able to get back on the bike for a few weeks. So I can’t check it properly and only sit on it in the basement.

What would you do? I’ll never get a Kenevo SL that cheap again while it all wouldn’t help if it’s too long for me …

We are the same size and I have been riding the S5 for over a year now. Only change from the comp build is fox 38 180mm, gx axs, and one up bar. Fits me like a glove.

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Go with a S3. S2 will be to short for 172 cm. My son is 12 yr and around 168 cm and is perfectly comfortable on a S3. Is a big bike for big terrain, after all. Downsizing doesn’t make much sense for this bike keeping it’s purpose in mind.
on other end of fence i've rode the s5 and s4 kenevo sl at 6,2. much preferred the s4, its a big bike and having it smaller makes it more maneuverable, is fully a personal choice though. I got a friend same height as me and his on a S6!

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK

The challenge I face:

Had the same issue! i am 6,2 and got the S5, and it felt like a boat.

You see so many riders say go bigger, but loads of people are on bikes to big for them. I sold my S5 and rode my friends S4 and it was like a dream! i just find 477-490mm my reach sweet spot.

With the returning it, thats your call, ive sold mine due to the size. Some can live with it and some can't.

Beboski

Feb 26, 2020
Italy
on other end of fence i've rode the s5 and s4 kenevo sl at 6,2. much preferred the s4, its a big bike and having it smaller makes it more maneuverable, is fully a personal choice though. I got a friend same height as me and his on a S6!
Same consideration from my side, I'm 6,2 and I like it more maneuverable, so I choose a S4. S5 or S6 are like a truck trailer, very stable to go straight but hard to turn in winding trails.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa

The challenge I face:

1- buy a 35mm or 40mm stem
2- Buy some higher rise bars (eg 30mm rise _ Rob even rides 50mm rise bars)
3- Ride the shit out of it.

I think the sizing is fine - you're just not used to the bike. I was in the same boat and made the changes above.
The bike is a monster truck. So it all depends on your riding style and terrain. IF you like a playfull chilled trail ride then definitely size down to S4. If you like jumping and hitting the bigger shit, keep your S5

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
1- buy a 35mm or 40mm stem
2- Buy some higher rise bars (eg 30mm rise _ Rob even rides 50mm rise bars)
3- Ride the shit out of it.

I think the sizing is fine - you're just not used to the bike. I was in the same boat and made the changes above.
The bike is a monster truck. So it all depends on your riding style and terrain. IF you like a playfull chilled trail ride then definitely size down to S4. If you like jumping and hitting the bigger shit, keep your S5

I would not say size down for a chilled ride. You should size down if you want a more active ride, size up if you want the stability to flat line stuff and rail stuff or feel more confident with a bigger bike. I find the bigger bikes get more cumbersome when trails are steep and tight. Personal preference for sure, but wouldn't say sizing down adds a chill factor or a decreased ability to hit features/airtime.

Adding to Hitorogoshis list: 4. try the steep cup!

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
I would not say size down for a chilled ride. You should size down if you want a more active ride, size up if you want the stability to flat line stuff and rail stuff or feel more confident with a bigger bike. I find the bigger bikes get more cumbersome when trails are steep and tight. Personal preference for sure, but wouldn't say sizing down adds a chill factor or a decreased ability to hit features/airtime.

Adding to Hitorogoshis list: 4. try the steep cup!
That's what I was trying to say haha... playful yet "chilled" in the manner the trails are not demanding massive hits. ;)

mighty79

May 15, 2023
Germany
Wow, thanks so much guys for the input. Very helpful!
I’m leaning towards keeping it. Unfortunately I even can’t put a different stem on it or anything to test as I’m basically one handed for the next weeks.

Although a good bit heavier I’d still have my Levo in S4 for non demanding trails.

Snowdude

Feb 20, 2020
USA
So it is confirmed that SL 1.2 motor has the same mounting point as SL 1.1 motor. Do you think we can swap out Kenevo SL's with a 1.2 model? Anyone have any information if Specialized has plans of letting us upgrade?

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
So it is confirmed that SL 1.2 motor has the same mounting point as SL 1.1 motor. Do you think we can swap out Kenevo SL's with a 1.2 model? Anyone have any information if Specialized has plans of letting us upgrade?
I talked about it with my LBS and Spesch explained to them that it would not be possible. Really not good news. I'm still not going to buy a Levo SL2 to do the swap myself ... A little too expensive 😅

Seagrave7

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles
It is possible. Someone has already tried it. The real issue is that mastermind TCU will not work with it. Specialized has blocked the 1.2 motor from working with our KSL's from the software side.

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
After recent bingles I now have 2 broken remote controllers 😭 - one has a broken case and the other broken wire.
Does anyone know how to open them up and swap the good electrics into the good case ?
TVM,
John

nicknameless

Aug 14, 2020
Birmingham
Sure this has been done to death BUT for a rider who is 70% of the time doing 'trail' riding is the Kenevo SL going to be overkill? Thinking of grabbing a bargain as these decline in price close to new model and wondering if I will be overbiked most of the time and regret it. Or are these fine to mince around on easier trails along with the occasional. Currently on Gen 1 Levo SL so know the motor etc. At times I wish for something a bit more plush but I am not 'riding park' or the equivalent.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Sure this has been done to death BUT for a rider who is 70% of the time doing 'trail' riding is the Kenevo SL going to be overkill? Thinking of grabbing a bargain as these decline in price close to new model and wondering if I will be overbiked most of the time and regret it. Or are these fine to mince around on easier trails along with the occasional. Currently on Gen 1 Levo SL so know the motor etc. At times I wish for something a bit more plush but I am not 'riding park' or the equivalent.
> Rider who is 70% of the time doing 'trail' riding is the Kenevo SL going to be overkill? - Yes it is
> I will be overbiked most of the time. - 70% of your riding

I recommend buying the new SL Gen 2. It has the same geo as the Stumpjumper Evo which fits almost everywhere. Also for bike park rides.

nicknameless

Aug 14, 2020
Birmingham
> Rider who is 70% of the time doing 'trail' riding is the Kenevo SL going to be overkill? - Yes it is
> I will be overbiked most of the time. - 70% of your riding

I recommend buying the new SL Gen 2. It has the same geo as the Stumpjumper Evo which fits almost everywhere. Also for bike park rides.
Many thanks. Just test rode it and didn't get on with it 100%. Very agile bike but didn't feel totally balanced on it, especially in chunkier stuff. Not sure if that is the mullet, short rear, or possibly total lack of talent.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Overkill? No it’s not.

If you want plush suspension (get a coil) and the ability to mow down chunk while still being able to navigate tight switchbacks (albeit with pre thought) get a KSL.

If you want a poppy, nimble, versatile bike get a well sorted (read quality suspension) Gen 2 Levo SL, it will be the ultimate all round bike hands down.

If you want to save money, keep your Gen 1 and modify the suspension if you haven’t already. EXT will give you that plush spring feel while working with the Levo’s linear rear end.

Side note, I personally prefer 29er over a mullet for trail riding. Just always seems to track better for me.

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija

The challenge I face:

I have a S5 and have 194cm and it still feels normal to me. So it is probably too big for you.
Kenevo SL is a BIG and long bike! you could try to switch it to high setting in the back if it is currently set to low. THis could help a bit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles