Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Bomber CR is a terrible shock. A DVO Jade X is far superior, definitely fits and isn't that much more expensive.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
The Bomber CR is a terrible shock. A DVO Jade X is far superior, definitely fits and isn't that much more expensive.
That is nonsense. The Bomber is a basic shock much like the Jade X. The Bomber is fully tuneable with many different tuning options that turn it into a really great shock. Avalanche racing in the US have lots of options for the Bomber shock. The Jade X is ok but can feel somewhat compromised in stock format ie hard to get the low speed damping and high speed damping working in harmony so you end up with a shock that is either plush at low speed and can't keep up at high speed or vice versa.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Current Bomber CR is a Fox shock. Just like how Fox 34/36 Rhytm is rebranded Marzocchi Z2/Z1 (same Grip damper and same 6-series Alloy legs). I would even wager that recently introduced Fox DHX is rebranded CR as well. The body is visually 97perc. identical.
Because Fox both designs and manufactures them at same factory, just uses different (and rather odd) market segmentation.

It's interesting when the products are reviewed by same outlets unaware.

Just like my comment above about the air-variant of these, Fox Float-X, it's nice product, just lacking external tunability outside of LC and LR. If the tune doesn't fit, not much you can do without retuning. But if you live in US/UK, the cost of that might be close to the value these shocks have as sell-offs.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I agree regarding the Bomber CR. It is a very good shock when tuned by Avalanche. The cost of the shock plus the custom tune from Avalanche is about the same price as a Float X2 or DHX2 and will be a better product as it is tuned especially for you, your bike and your ability/riding style.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ask all the FF Kenevo Comp riders who’ve had multiple failures of Bomber CR how they feel about it…

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Plus piss-poor QC on the assembly line. Numerous reports of shocks failing on other bikes too.

In the UK, there are better choices without having to resort to an Avalanche tune. How much is that, by the way?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Plus piss-poor QC on the assembly line. Numerous reports of shocks failing on other bikes too.

In the UK, there are better choices without having to resort to an Avalanche tune. How much is that, by the way?
Lol shit quality control… that’s everything Fox ever made.

TFtuned can mod them too. Avalanche cost about $200US.

Have you ridden the Jade yet?

boylagz

Nov 13, 2021
jcgo1985
Have ridden the Jade X for maybe a month. It's pretty good. Might do a custom tune when I go to socal in March. Rebound damping isn't quite enough off the shelf, but still very rideable. Having a Sprindex spring helps a lot with 50lbs to play with.

PXL_20220209_175130928.jpg

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Have ridden the Jade X for maybe a month. It's pretty good. Might do a custom tune when I go to socal in March. Rebound damping isn't quite enough off the shelf, but still very rideable. Having a Sprindex spring helps a lot with 50lbs to play with.

View attachment 81794
I found a progressive spring works really well with the Jade as it is quite low on HSC so the spring gives it a bit more support. (I used a 475-575 DVO spring and I’m 88kg)
Definitely an improvement on the standard X2 that’s for sure!

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US

View attachment 81794
banna slug in Pacifica represent

Update on my Estoria experience, I have been beyond stoked with mine after I went up in spring rate and stiffer compression tune. Feeling noticeably better than storia I have on my geometron. That combined with heavily tuned Mezzer up front + cush core makes it feel like cheating. So fun.
20211028_144230~2.jpg

boylagz

Nov 13, 2021
jcgo1985
Lol. I've set mine up mullet too. IMO it rides better for nonracer bros like me,lol. I hate tire buzz on every ride. Waaay easier to ride steeps and tight turns.

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Has anyone tested fitment for the Fox 8x30mm roller bearing kit for the front shock eyelet? My calipers are measuring the mounting width at ~29.6mm.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Been switching between Enduro and KSL on my rides. If I swap ride types on Strava between E & non-E the KSL seems to be a hair faster (couple of seconds over a ~2:30 DH segment, even though it’s ~6lbs heavier).

Spesh added a motor and made the bike faster downhill. That’s pretty rad.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Been switching between Enduro and KSL on my rides. If I swap ride types on Strava between E & non-E the KSL seems to be a hair faster (couple of seconds over a ~2:30 DH segment, even though it’s ~6lbs heavier).

Spesh added a motor and made the bike faster downhill. That’s pretty rad.
Start and end GPS points are probably a little different hence the timing difference. I do agree it’s a great bike though.

Oct 5, 2021
Malaysia
Just bought a Kenevo SL Expert to go with my Levo Carbon Expert Gen 2 - just took delivery yesterday and took it out today, but disappointed as my motor shaft / crank shaft has 3mm+ of play in it that knocks with side loading. LBS will warranty it but a new motor will take another week!

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Another price increase on Specialized EU website, even Comp version is now 7900 Euro (VAT included).

E-Ratailers like Bike24 where I bought it still have it for 7000 Euro though, just in case someone wants more reasonable base price.
You can sell both shock and fork for 350-400 Euro each, and buy some high-end alternative for roughly double (800 Euro for Zeb Ultimate, 800 Euro for Float X2, just example).
For the same money in the end, you will end up with much higher-specced bike (you will go straight to S-Works version of shock).

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
I have an issue with my mission control app whereby it keeps reverting back from imperial to metric for distance covered. Anyone else have this issue .

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Finished my KSL build on Sunday and took it out for a few brief rides around the neighborhood. I ran into two issues I wonder if anyone else has encountered and solved:

1) Headset cover stays stationary instead of rotating with the fork. This causes the lower spacers to grind against the stem as you steer. Everything is installed exactly as the manual depicts. Flipping the cover upside down fixed the issue, but it seems ridiculous and probably isn't the best solution for minimizing dust ingress over time. Specialized Rider Care wasn't happy and asked me to take it to a dealer.

2) On my fourth or fifth ride, the bike started making constant noise from the crank area whenever I pedal with the motor off. It's usually a high-pitched whine but sometimes shifts to a mid-pitch howl. The sound immediately stops whenever the power comes on. I can see that the spider rotates around a motor-driven shaft, and that shaft stays still when the power is off. I'm sure the sound is coming from some kind of rubbing in the interface between these two parts. This being an SL bike and all, there are a lot of times and places where there's just no need to turn on the power at all. I haven't had the chance to pull the spider yet since I couldn't figure out how to remove the retaining ring straight away. I'm having the dealer look at it since it's already in for the headset cover issue, but they're already trying to give me the excuse that that's normal. I called BS on that since it was perfectly quiet for the first few rides. Has anyone found a suitable lubricant to keep it quiet?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles