Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I got the expert level, so X Fusion.

I went with OneUp because they have the lowest insertion size to max my situation out.
AXS are some of the biggest/longest. The X fusion as well..

I’m on a S3 and can confirm that switching out the XFusion with the OneUp makes a significant difference in lowest seat position.
I haven’t measured exactly but I feel way better on steep tech with the saddle position.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I’m on a S3 and can confirm that switching out the XFusion with the OneUp makes a significant difference in lowest seat position.
I haven’t measured exactly but I feel way better on steep tech with the saddle position.
What dropper size did you end up with?

I measured on my s4 (170mm) and could get about 20mm more drop . With the lower stack height I could almost squeeze a 210mm one up there. Probably would be fine with 200mm.

I am considering going this route or getting a switch grade when they are released as I like the concept. I have hit the seat a few times on jumps when I am trying to get fancy. It’s a bit annoying
SwitchGrade Saddle Angle Control Technology

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC

I went with the same. 150mm
I have a 180mm OneUp as well but found insertion length ended up not much different from the XFusion 150mm

on the S3 the OneUp 150mm is so close to perfection for me. I can get the saddle out of the way when slammed, can still pedal from that lowest height and when extended, I’m in a really good pedalling position.
(I could use 5-10mm more height to achieve perfection)

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

I measured on my s4 (170mm) and could get about 20mm more drop . With the lower stack height I could almost squeeze a 210mm one up there. Probably would be fine with 200mm.

I am considering going this route or getting a switch grade when they are released as I like the concept. I have hit the seat a few times on jumps when I am trying to get fancy. It’s a bit annoying
SwitchGrade Saddle Angle Control Technology
I bought a 210 OneUp with the same idea but the insertion depth wasn't enough to make it work for me. I may go the 180 option. I'm 185cm tall with a BB to seat measurement of about 77cm.

dragonsback79

Mar 31, 2021
OK well installed the 120 OneUp and got about another 1.5 inches of room. So I am happy!

Heads up, I had to remove the screen to feed the cable in proper and also had to remove the motor bash-guard and feed the cable up. There are NO guides on this bike for the cables.
Took me a bit to figure this out.
At first the cable runs right into the top tube and into a dead-end at the seat tube. Had to figure out what was going on and I tried removing the screen HOPING I could guide it, lucky that worked out and had to feed it into the bottom tube along battery, then follow it underneath to motor area and then feed it up. Kind of a pain. Just FYI if you ever pull that cable out (I did cause I went from AXS to OneUp)

dragonsback79

Mar 31, 2021
@dragonsback79 - This little beauty has been very handy, especially in tight e-mtb applications.
IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit | Park Tool

How is your extended pedaling height now with the OneUp?

It works, could prolly have used a 125mm but they don't make it. I could have dumbed down a150 with the shims but I didn't want THAT much post insertion. DH is more important to me than climbing so I'm happy.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
General reminder to check the tightness or torque on your swat headset (under fork crown/steer tube)

I started noticing a slight creak but not any noticeable play in the headset.
sure enough, the bolt that tensions the headset / swat system had backed out a bit.

cheers ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
General reminder to check the tightness or torque on your swat headset (under fork crown/steer tube)

I started noticing a slight creak but not any noticeable play in the headset.
sure enough, the bolt that tensions the headset / swat system had backed out a bit.

cheers ?
I noticed this too.
I just over tightened it, tightened up my headset and then backed off the swat tool screw a tad and it’s been good since.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I swapped the geo on my last ride to the "Middle" + "High" on the flip chip. Previously (stock) it was "Midde" +"low". I was just seeing what it would do as on the geo chart, I was intrigued by the potential of slightly more nimble + better climbing position. Well...

1. PR'd my singletrack climbs by over a min (14:53 w/previous PR at 16:00 on my SL). This is a windy, rocky, technical climb trail. The STA is noticeably more upright, and the reactive suspension just floats over everything.
  2. Mid-stroke support increased a lot. At least it feels that way. I was way over jumping on my typical doubles. One so much so that I careened into the bushes. It could be the shorter chainstays as well, but the overall leverage rate felt a bit more progressive.
  3. Bike felt a tad more nimble and less ultra-stable. Mind you, it still a very fast, capable DH monster. But it feels a smidge closer to all arounder than a DH machine. Honestly, probably best for most trails that have some technical climbing and/or flow type stuff.

Moral of story - try out the geo changes. They make a surprisingly bigger difference than I thought, and I didn't even push the extremes. Next I will try "Slack" and "High". I think it may add some of that stability back, with even steeper STA . Will be a little more "party" with the front/rear bias.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
@jcmonty - I’m also happy with the “middle” + “high” geo setting. I made this change mainly for climbing clearance, which it has improved.

“slack” + “high” - can’t wait to hear what you think of that change.
Cheers

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
@jcmonty - I’m also happy with the “middle” + “high” geo setting. I made this change mainly for climbing clearance, which it has improved.

“slack” + “high” - can’t wait to hear what you think of that change.
Cheers

i didn’t expect as much difference in the kinematics. Less regression at the end of the stroke too apparently. Caught be by surprise for sure. It’s definitely a better climber in this mode.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
i didn’t expect as much difference in the kinematics. Less regression at the end of the stroke too apparently. Caught be by surprise for sure. It’s definitely a better climber in this mode.
Where did you get the info on the leverage change with the geo change?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Got to ride my friends Kenevo today. Felt more similar to my Enduro than it did my ebike. Really fun bike that I could probably get used to. Not sold on the low power/range yet though. I like having 2 full sized batteries for my EP8 Commencal and can get 8k’ (2440m) elevation gain without even thinking about conserving.

7F6D3A26-AC65-46B8-9736-65C8851FF5FA.jpeg

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Where did you get the info on the leverage change with the geo change?
I chatted up cascade components, but it makes sense too. (Egging them on to do a link For the ksl (not likely due to small volume). )

the curve shifts left a bit which pushes that regressive end portion off the curve and has more of the progressive start. Honestly felt like I had a new link

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Got to ride my friends Kenevo today. Felt more similar to my Enduro than it did my ebike. Really fun bike that I could probably get used to. Not sold on the low power/range yet though. I like having 2 full sized batteries for my EP8 Commencal and can get 8k’ (2440m) elevation gain without even thinking about conserving.

View attachment 65849
Yeah it’s not going to be your “smash 8k vert as fast as possible “ bike. But man is it fun going down.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Yeah it’s not going to be your “smash 8k vert as fast as possible “ bike. But man is it fun going down.
Agreed. Highly considering selling my Enduro + Commencal to get one as my only bike. I don’t like having more than one bike at once anyways.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil
We have an amazing RS service shop here locally that I like working with. The setup, custom tune and the fact that I can work with them on getting the shock just right, has been a good experience.
Any thoughts on the coil as of yet?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I chatted up cascade components, but it makes sense too. (Egging them on to do a link For the ksl (not likely due to small volume). )

the curve shifts left a bit which pushes that regressive end portion off the curve and has more of the progressive start. Honestly felt like I had a new link
What would you like to achieve with a different link?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
What would you like to achieve with a different link?

honestly, not much. Perhaps get rid of the regressive part at the end of the curve which makes for harsher bottom outs occasionally. You can somewhat negate that with volume Spacers on an air shock or some sort of progessive bumper or hydraulic bottom out on a coil.
All in all, the kinematics are fantastic on this bike and probably why you won’t see a link.

however, Cascade did one for the enduro which brought the progressivity up to 35% from 25%. It’s just not as “needed” than it was for the fairly linear Levos.

My comment was more around the surprise about how it felt different just by the flip chip. And I like to nerd out on these things. ?

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
I have the Levo, the Levo SL , and just sold my Enduro a month ago.
Rode my Kenevo SL yesterday for the first time, I ride in the PNW Seattle area, steep, techy trails.
The Kenevo SL its amazing for this terrain, had fastest time on every single trail I rode, and that was on the first try.
Having said that, I would not take it to the more cross country mellow trails, too much bike, Levo SL works good on those.
This bike rides even better than the Enduro on techy steep trails, super stable, plush and confidence inspiring.
So my recommendation, is depending on the terrain you ride, if techy and steep, this could be the best bike out there.

Dji

Jun 12, 2021
Montréal Canada
Rode my Kenevo SL yesterday for the first time, I ride in the PNW Seattle area, steep, techy trails.
The Kenevo SL its amazing for this terrain, had fastest time on every single trail I rode, and that was on the first try.
Having said that, I would not take it to the more cross country mellow trails, too much bike, Levo SL works good on those.
This bike rides even better than the Enduro on techy steep trails, super stable, plush and confidence inspiring.
So my recommendation, is depending on the terrain you ride, if techy and steep, this could be the best bike out there.

How is the uphill? Im afraid this is too weak to climb real mountain compare to a regular levo. What's you thought on this?

I'm a gravity guy for sure but I'm lazy for the uphill. Im on the fence between ksl ans levo gen 3.

Thanks
JF

Last edited:

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
How is the uphill? Im afraid this is too weak to climb real mountain compare to a regular levo. What's you thought on this?

I'm a gravity guy for sure but I'm lazy for the uphill. Im on the fence between ksl ans levo gen 3.

Thanks
JF
Uphill, plenty of power IMHO I kept turning it ON and Off to have some excercise because rode my second lap with my friends on regular bikes.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Any thoughts on the coil as of yet?
I won't receive the new coil shock for another week or two.
(Custom tuned for bike and rider - not just set factory spec) (y)

I also ordered a progressive MRP spring.. Looking forward to see how that feels from standard spring.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

Amping… thx for posting this. Actually had a pair of Enduros setup somewhat differently that I’ve just now sold to clear the cards for the KSL I’ve ordered.

Off the bike for a few months with a busted clavicle. Hoping KSL shows up right on time. The waiting is actually good for me (for once :)

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Uphill, plenty of power IMHO I kept turning it ON and Off to have some excercise because rode my second lap with my friends on regular bikes.
Unless you are over 200lbs and not in great shape. Then I would say it will be nearly as difficult to ride uphill as a normal bike when in eco mode, and you’ll drain the battery super quick when in Turbo.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Unless you are over 200lbs and not in great shape. Then I would say it will be nearly as difficult to ride uphill as a normal bike when in eco mode, and you’ll drain the battery super quick when in Turbo.
As long as you remember that it still helps double what you are able to produce

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles