Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Easy way to test a coil is to take the spring off and cycle it through compression all the way to bottom out.

Totally, I was checking for clearance on the coil with the shock tunnel / linkage.
Leaning my chest on the saddle.
You’re right, I should have mounted without coil first.

Like you, I’m also glad I didn’t cause frame or shock damage. ?

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Totally, I was checking for clearance on the coil with the shock tunnel / linkage.
Leaning my chest on the saddle.
Your right, I should have mounted without coil first.

Like you, I’m also glad I didn’t cause frame or shock damage. ?
Yikes… do you a dimensioned drawing of that shock? I am surprised it doesn’t fit, but that reservoir looks longer than other coils.

I guess the e-storia may be the way to go give the layout if a coil is calling

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Yikes… do you a dimensioned drawing of that shock? I am surprised it doesn’t fit, but that reservoir looks longer than other coils.

I guess the e-storia may be the way to go give the layout if a coil is calling

I did measure the shock clearance and with callipers. It seemed it would fit, even though the RS reservoir is longer.
It’s just a few mm (like 2-3mm) too long and only at a very specific part of the travel.
The reservoir touches the frame but slid past - scuffing the RideWrap.
Nope!

The search for an alternate coil starts today.

… and yes, I’ll mount without coil first this time.
?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Sad news. A RockShox Super Deluxe Coil does not fit the KSL.
The reservoir is just a few mm too long for the top of the shock tunnel during deep compression.

View attachment 66576
Lucky I added RideWrap there.

I also tried it the other way around but the LSC knob hits the linkage plate.
Oh well. Now we know.

Bummer ?

Total buzz kill. Hopefully the shorter res will allow it to work. I've often wondered how any spring shock could fit into that space. The next question is how will the smaller res affect how it works/feels. That thing looks pretty sweet.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Total buzz kill. Hopefully the shorter res will allow it to work. I've often wondered how any spring shock could fit into that space. The next question is how will the smaller res affect how it works/feels. That thing looks pretty sweet.

I have found that the small res on the X2 gets fairly warm on 3-4min DH runs. I haven't seen/felt performance degradation. I can't see that reservoir being smaller than the X2

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I have found that the small res on the X2 gets fairly warm on 3-4min DH runs. I haven't seen/felt performance degradation. I can't see that reservoir being smaller than the X2
Sounds like it's a pretty small difference (~ 3mm) but should solve the super tight clearance issue. (They say).
I'm taking the bike to them this time.. less stress for sure. :cool:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I want to specify that having a backup shock (why not coal coil, right? ? ) is huge, when doing road trips and bike park days.
+ I've been a good human all year.. Why not treat myself?
That’s what I told the wife when I got this bike. And the bike before that… and the one before that..

Heck I will end up with a coil (or coal if she finds out) I am sure once I sell my SL and it’s trove or parts. But I need to read about how much better it is first ?. Backup shock is a good idea with how finicky fox stuff seems to be on the forums

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I did learn today that the x2 on the expert is not the latest with the vvc tech that fox made a big deal about a few months ago.

so probably more performance to be had still.

anyone with the s works care to post their fox id (located on reservoir ) on the x2?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I did learn today that the x2 on the expert is not the latest with the vvc tech that fox made a big deal about a few months ago.

so probably more performance to be had still.

anyone with the s works care to post their fox id (located on reservoir ) on the x2?
Interesting info on the Expert X2!

My Jade coil should be arriving next week with a progressive spring to start with.

Double l

Jul 14, 2021
East Yorkshire
Sorry not the bestest images

IMG_20210525_182010.jpg

IMG_20210525_182021.jpg

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Ok, help me out here. As I understand VVC, it's specific to Fox forks, not the shock?

"Variable Valve Control (VVC) gives you the ability to have this same desired effect via an external adjuster on our GRIP2 high speed compression and rebound circuits in the 2021 34, 36, and 38 FOX forks."

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Ok, help me out here. As I understand VVC, it's specific to Fox forks, not the shock?

"Variable Valve Control (VVC) gives you the ability to have this same desired effect via an external adjuster on our GRIP2 high speed compression and rebound circuits in the 2021 34, 36, and 38 FOX forks."
2021 they added it to the x2 shocks. But not the performance apparently .

it’s nitpicking I am sure , but most reviewers said there was a noticeable improvement between the model years

Reactions: KSL

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Frame is too plain.
I actually really like the sleeper look.
The decals look cool but for me, I’m really happy with the somewhat blank canvas. ?
I added a few small decals of some of our local component companies I have on the bike.

Thanks for sharing though.
Cheers

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I actually really like the sleeper look.
The decals look cool but for me, I’m really happy with the somewhat blank canvas. ?
I added a few small decals of some of our local component companies I have on the bike.

Thanks for sharing though.
Cheers

YUP, I like the simple look as well. I haven't installed them, so there's always time to change my mind. ;)
When I get them, I'll gauge what gives the best look without going overboard. I tend to change Fox fork graphics too when I get bored.

I also have a stealth carbon Yeti, so that certainly addresses the blank look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles