Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thanks again! The leakage I was referring to though was from the hose that remains connected to the calliper. Does nothing come out when it is pulled through or pushed through the frame?
Ohhh well, I think a bit but unless you undo the bolt to get air in I think it stays put mostly. You can always jamb a small bolt in there. I never did, I just yanked it.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Thanks Christian! Daft question coming up but I’ve never messed with brakes and internal routing before. If I split the Code R or the new brake at the lever in order to pull the hose out of the frame or push the new one through, is there going to be fluid leaking everywhere? I don’t have to drain the system do I?
I've just done a set of Codes on a Levo, leaked everywhere. I'd at least partially drain them first.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
@Tbar
I changed the Code to a MT7 two weeks ago and had no problems by doing this. The barb-connector from Rockshox helped a lot.

I did the front break first, because it's an easy job and the cut-off is the tool, which helps to pull the the new rear hose through the frame.

I took out the coil and the screws of the cableholders in the sidearm of the frame.
After this, I cutted of the Code's hose near the lever because I wanted it as long as possible and pushed it back till it came out of the frames sidearm.
Next I connected it with the off-cutted hose from the front brake and pushed/pulled it back carefully through the motor until I could see the barb connector coming out of the chainstay. After disconnecting them, the tool for getting the new brakehose from the chainstay up to the sidearm is inside the frame.
This method is also useful for the second step through the upper tube.

Really easy and I had no leaks. The brakes were directly ready for use.

robwormald

May 16, 2020
Santa Cruz Mountains
I picked up my 2020 Kenevo Expert a couple of weeks ago, I had a Stumpjumper 10 years ago but haven't really ridden an MTB properly since then. I've been out on it every single day.

It was good the first two weeks, but today I climbed a local fire road, just an insane slog up a loamy backwoods trail, and took it downhill properly for the first time. Epic.

I've lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains for a few years now and mostly been on motorcycles. This thing opens up a whole new world.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Testing mullet

IMG_20200522_151910.jpg

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I picked up my 2020 Kenevo Expert a couple of weeks ago, I had a Stumpjumper 10 years ago but haven't really ridden an MTB properly since then. I've been out on it every single day.

It was good the first two weeks, but today I climbed a local fire road, just an insane slog up a loamy backwoods trail, and took it downhill properly for the first time. Epic.

I've lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains for a few years now and mostly been on motorcycles. This thing opens up a whole new world.

?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Here's another test drive with a mullet. Front tire is Maxxis DHR II 2.3. Pressure 1.5 bar
Have to take one spacer away under the stem.
Tire size can also be 2.4 WT I think.

More precise steering, easier and faster on the root/rocky sections. I'll keep it, until the muddy season starts

IMG_20200524_135848.jpg

IMG_20200524_132532.jpg

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Here's another test drive with a mullet. Front tire is Maxxis DHR II 2.3. Pressure 1.5 bar
Have to take one spacer away under the stem.
Tire size can also be 2.4 WT I think.

More precise steering, easier and faster on the root/rocky sections. I'll keep it, until...
Have you played with the flip-chip? The HA is pretty slack mulleted, right?
One of the drawbacks with the stock bike is the BB height, I think. I have so many pedal strikes and numerous hits of the battery cover on my local trails. Rocky/rooty terrain...
So it is tempting to mullet, flip or both.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Have you played with the flip-chip? The HA is pretty slack mulleted, right?
One of the drawbacks with the stock bike is the BB height, I think. I have so many pedal strikes and numerous hits of the battery cover on my local trails. Rocky/rooty terrain...
So it is tempting to mullet, flip or both.
Didn't touch the flip-chip. I like slack HA and bike feels so good after reducing stack high of the bar

ggeorge

Jun 25, 2018
Greece
Hello guys from Greece,
Hope everyone I safe and healthy!
I had to visit specialized dealer last week because of a motor failure (mag s).
After 800kms suddenly the Kenevo's motor stopped transferring power to the wheels.
No problems until that time.
No messages on the app.
It seems to be the ball bearing transferring the power to the wheels.
New motor coming this week covered on warranty.
Hope to have it on the weekend.

BrockDM

Apr 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
For those of you that have changed dropper posts:

Did you replace the cable housing as well? My LBS managed to jam my housing down into the frame tube and it's all wound up and twisted now to the point where I need to replace it. I tried to pull it through but it appears it is snug in place. Do you need to remove the motor in order to swap cable housings? It looks like the housing runs down towards the motor but I can't tell if it is actually gong under it or not.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Anyone with an expert able to verify the boxxer setting as per the sram manual? I don't know if this is the measurement to use with them being OEM. Mine is about 155mm at present.
Screenshot_20200527-223308.jpg

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
For those of you that have changed dropper posts:

Did you replace the cable housing as well? My LBS managed to jam my housing down into the frame tube and it's all wound up and twisted now to the point where I need to replace it. I tried to pull it through but it appears it is snug in place. Do you need to remove the motor in order to swap cable housings? It looks like the housing runs down towards the motor but I can't tell if it is actually gong under it or not.
You don't need to remove the motor, but you will need some deft handiwork! The cable housing comes down the sidearm, does a loop above the motor, then heads back up the seat tube. What you'll need to do is thread the housing in at the head tube, through the top tube and out at the sidearm (relatively easy). Then you'll want a piece of wire, with a loop in the end, pushed down the seat tube, ready to hook the cable housing as you push it through. You then need to pull the cable housing up the seat tube before pushing at both ends, which forces it down to create the loop above the motor housing.

That or get an AXS dropper! ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Brothers S3 is 157mm
That's really useful thanks. My about 155mm is also 157mm now I've measured more accurately.
I wonder why the difference between OEM and retail 200mm boxxers? I had assumed just a shorter airspring.
Actually 156mm is the measurement for the upto 2018 models now I've checked. At least they seem correct anyway.

Last edited:

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Now after I have ridden Mullet Kenovo couple of weeks, I can say it's the best combination for a smaller guy.
My Kenovo size is S3

Bike parks, rocky and rooty trails it's much better combination.

Thanks for your thoughts.
How tall are you? It is very tempting to test the mullet set-up. The 27.5" lack roll-over ability over the 29".

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Update to my Mullet project.
Just installed Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4. Clearance is ....hmmm. enough. Not for a mud ride, but good for other rides.

Hope the steering stays as precise as with 2.3 size tyre...tire...what ever.

Last edited:

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Has anyone upgraded to the 2.1 Charger damper to make it a Boxxer Ultimate?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles