Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
Hey guys, looking for some technical advice and wondering if anyone else has tried or looked into this at all........thinking it will be an amazing couple of upgrades if it's possible.

I would like to fit an Sram Eagle AXS Derailleur / Controller as well as a Rockshox AXS Reverb Dropper with the maximum drop that will fit.

So, I need to know if my Cassette and Chain will be compatible and if not which ones I will need to get to make it work (thinking I'll need to change these to Eagle 12spd for sure).

Here's what I think I'll need:

Eagle AXS Setup
Sram X01 Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit (Der, Shifter, Battery, Charger) 12 Speed
Pg-1230 Nx Eagle Cassette 12Sp 11-50T (think this will fit straight onto the existing hub)
Gx Eagle Chain 12 Speed, but not sure how many Links I'll need

Dropper
Reverb AXS 34.9 170mm A1 00.6818.040.011 (Will this one fit ok?)

The bike size is an S4.

Hoping someone has already done it or knows what is needed to complete this little project.

Cheers!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey guys, looking for some technical advice and wondering if anyone else has tried or looked into this at all........thinking it will be an amazing couple of upgrades if it's possible.

I would like to fit an Sram Eagle AXS Derailleur / Controller as well as a Rockshox AXS Reverb Dropper with the maximum drop that will fit.

So, I need to know if my Cassette and Chain will be compatible and if not which ones I will need to get to make it work (thinking I'll need to change these to Eagle 12spd for sure).

Here's what I think I'll need:

Eagle AXS Setup
Pg-1230 Nx Eagle Cassette 12Sp 11-50T (think this will fit straight onto the existing hub)

Dropper
Reverb AXS 34.9 170mm A1 00.6818.040.011 (Will this one fit ok?)

The bike size is an S4.

Hoping someone has already done it or knows what is needed to complete this little project.

Cheers!
I have the 170mm dropper, it misses out by around 5mm from going all the way in. I’m 5”10 and the height is fine.

580B8974-3DF8-43C2-95CE-FF7541B03C62.png

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Nice, I assume it's an S4 as well? Is the extra 10mm drop very noticeable?
Yes S4, I had it on my Medium 2019 Kenevo which was a massive difference over the Wu post. With the new 2020 post I only rode it in the car park before I changed it so can’t really remember how it felt as I was so excited!
The Axs seat on the other hand is bloody unreal. Way way better seat that anything with a wire.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Eagle AXS Setup

The PG-1230 fits on the standard hub and will also work with the AXS Eagle, but i don't know the exact length of the chain. The 12 Speed chain will definitely be necessary.

Maybe usefull for you...
I changed the pg-1130 to a sunrace csmx8 11-46 cassette and had no problems with the length of the chain. It was even some space left.
I estimate, the original length could also fit for a 11-50 cassette. But without any guarantee.;)

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
So I’ve had a few rides on the new bike so I thought I’d share my thoughts.
First and foremost I love it! Like a lot!
There are many reasons why but the sizing was the main advantage
I am 5”10 and my old Kenevo was a medium which I found a tad small. The new one is an S4 and it’s just spot on.
I have upgraded mine with a longer front and back shock so it’s essentially a mini downhill bike. Exactly what I’ve always wanted since I first heard about ebikes.
I now feel complete.

For those that want to know the differences between 2019 and 2020 here goes,
I rode my 2019 last week after putting it back to standard.
First of all it was noticeably lighter and more snappy/agile. On the tight technical climbs it was definitely better suited than the dual crowns. Seemed to be easier to track through and navigate the rocks.
On the rough stuff it obviously wasn’t as smooth as the larger travel forks and the 65 degree head angle wasn’t as stable through the faster gravity trails.
All in all I enjoyed it in its standard form but yeah defiantly the sizing was too small for my style of riding.
Enter the 2020, yes it’s designed to go down fast, yes it loses some of its “trail riding” abilities but by no means can it not take on any climb. Sure there are places you may have to get off the bike or work it a little more but that’s very few places and most were quite steep. I still got through it all fine though so it’s not like it can’t be done.
On the downhills though it’s goodbye old Kenevo. The bike is just so good.

If you want a downhill bike that can climb 2020 Expert or 2019 with triples.
If you want a enduro bike that can go downhill and climb buy a 2019 or 2020 comp
If you want a XC bike with the odd gravity trails buy a Levo.
I found 29er mullet setup was a really nice upgrade to balance playtime with roll over ability.
For my style of riding which is predominantly gravity I have found that you can’t have too much travel. I ride my 200/200 travel bike everywhere I can and I absolutely love it. Most important decision I made was the correct sizing. Once again I found bigger was better but that suits me.

A119C3A6-F77F-41DC-B3CA-4B19CD9E80E9.jpeg

D83CB298-56A2-48BF-9C0E-AC23EB2CFEA2.jpeg

Last edited:

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
The PG-1230 fits on the standard hub and will also work with the AXS Eagle, but i don't know the exact length of the chain. The 12 Speed chain will definitely be necessary.

Maybe usefull for you...
I changed the pg-1130 to a sunrace csmx8 11-46 cassette and had no problems with the length of the chain. It was even some space left.
I estimate, the original length could also fit for a 11-50 cassette. But without any guarantee.;)

We're about to find out....parts ordered :)
Got the dropper as well - she's gunna be even more awesome!
Will post pics next week when she's all done :cool:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am 5”10 and my old Kenevo was a medium which I found a tad small. The new one is an S4 and it’s just spot on.
I have upgraded mine with a longer front and back shock so it’s essentially a mini downhill bike. Exactly what I’ve always wanted since I first heard about ebikes.
I now feel complete.

First of all it was noticeably lighter and more snappy/agile. On the tight technical climbs it was definitely better suited than the dual crowns. Seemed to be easier to track through and navigate the rocks.
On the rough stuff it obviously wasn’t as smooth as the larger travel forks and the 65 degree head angle wasn’t as stable through the faster gravity trails.
All in all I enjoyed it in its standard form but yeah defiantly the sizing was too small for my style of riding.
Enter the 2020, yes it’s designed to go down fast, yes it loses some of its “trail riding” abilities but by no means can it not take on any climb. Sure there are places you may have to get off the bike or work it a little more but that’s very few places and most were quite steep. I still got through it all fine though so it’s not like it can’t be done.

If you want a enduro bike that can go downhill and climb buy a 2019 or 2020 comp
I found 29er mullet setup was a really nice upgrade to balance playtime with roll over ability.
For my style of riding which is predominantly gravity I have found that you can’t have too much travel. I ride my 200/200 travel bike everywhere I can and I absolutely love it. Most important decision I made was the correct sizing. Once again I found bigger was better but that suits me.

View attachment 20513

View attachment 20514

Holy Sh1t Batman .. look at those pictures .. you've created another monster !!! :) Like it !

Ok, so I'm the same height as you and opted for the Large on a 1.3 Kenevo - so all is good .. I'm older and more distinguished so a sedate Kenevo makes far more sense than the new one :)

Really good review and summary. Sadly, it wasn't a "complete" review as you didn't fall off.

Will you swap the rohloff over ? or wait until there is an e14 ?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Spot on I believe and that's why the 2019 suits the trails here for me.
Good question Z yes it looks like you haven't transplanted the Rohloff yet.
Was thinking today which do I use more, the Rohloff or the AXS Reverb. Maybe I use the gears more than the dropper but not by much.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Holy Sh1t Batman .. look at those pictures .. you've created another monster !!! :) Like it !

Ok, so I'm the same height as you and opted for the Large on a 1.3 Kenevo - so all is good .. I'm older and more distinguished so a sedate Kenevo makes far more sense than the new one :)

Really good review and summary. Sadly, it wasn't a "complete" review as you didn't fall off.

Will you swap the rohloff over ? or wait until there is an e14 ?

Thanks it sure is a beast!
As for falling it hasn’t happened yet but it’s hot here now and much more slippery so stay tuned for that. I almost dropped it today but I caught it in time.
I’m holding off on the Rohloff as I need to cut the motor cover a little to fit it but it will go on soon as I miss the gear change system. I defiantly dislike the feeling of a derailleur change. I am also hoping for an e14 solution before I cut things up so fingers crossed.

Spot on I believe and that's why the 2019 suits the trails here for me.
Yes good question Z and yes it looks like you haven't transplanted the Rohloff yet.
Was thinking today which do I use more, the Rohloff or the AXS Reverb. Maybe I use the gears more than the dropper but not by much.
I would defiantly stick with the 2019 if your more trail focused. The obvious upgrade to that is the comp 2020 as it has the bigger battery but the motor differences aren’t that big. Mainly smoothness and little bit of torque but not hugely different. I rode them back to back and they’re very similar

I miss the Rohloff though, it’s just a better all round system. Much more convenient and a lot better gear engagement. As I’ve said previously my motors run off was quite a lot and I’ve got them replacing it atm. The new one does what it’s meant to so it would be much nicer on the Rohloff. I’ll give it a couple more weeks and then make a decision.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Memo to the graphic design department:

The guys in Taiwan aren’t happy about the upside down Specialized decal. Something about bad Feng shui. Anyway they want you to come up with a Flip Flop Hologram decal.

Apparently you just use multiple right side up 2D images of the logo and that displays Specialized the right side up whichever way you look at it!

How difficult can that be - it's a sticker right?

You guys rock
Top floor
Head Office
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 9.07.03 pm.png

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Memo to the graphic design department:

The guys in Taiwan aren’t happy about the upside down Specialized decal. Something about bad Feng shui. Anyway they want you to come up with a Flip Flop Hologram decal.

Apparently you just use multiple right side up 2D images of the logo and that displays Specialized the right side up whichever way you look at it!

How difficult can that be - it's a sticker right?

You guys rock
Top floor
Head Office View attachment 20515
Haha yeah ahhh I requested it that way for when I table top the bike to my right all the photos show the Specialized the right way...

Now I’m gonna have to practice that trick to justify the sticker placement!

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Did Berkshire Cycles ever open up their specialized e-bike only shop? I remember seeing Chris talking about it in a video with Rob, was going to be the first in the world.

blackwood

Oct 16, 2019
Oregon, USA
Hi all, I am not quite a Kenevo owner yet. Still waiting on availability for a 2020 Export in my area. Has anyone in the USA been able to get one yet? Or does anyone know when they will be available in the US. I talked to the local Specialized shop and they didn't know, they were going to talk to the rep and get back to me.
Anyway can't wait to get one. I've been waiting for an e-bike like this.

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Has anyone gotten or seen the dove grey/ red Comp yet? Picked the grey one over the gun metal due to availability, but I have only seen owner picks of the gun metal...

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Hi all, I am not quite a Kenevo owner yet. Still waiting on availability for a 2020 Export in my area. Has anyone in the USA been able to get one yet? Or does anyone know when they will be available in the US. I talked to the local Specialized shop and they didn't know, they were going to talk to the rep and get back to me.
Anyway can't wait to get one. I've been waiting for an e-bike like this.
Me too. Pre- Ordered a S4 X. Stoked! I'm hearing December.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
I now feel complete.

View attachment 20513

View attachment 20514
Hey Christian,. Nice looking bike!! What size shock were you able to fit? Is the stock boxxer fork a dogged down 200 mm or is it fixed at 180mm travel?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey Christian,. Nice looking bike!! What size shock were you able to fit? Is the stock boxxer fork a dogged down 200 mm or is it fixed at 180mm travel?
Thanks mate! Not sure on the BoXXer fork. I’ve got the 200 Ohlins front and the Ohlins rear is a 240/76 shock with a reduced shaft down to 70mm which gives me 201mm travel and then I run two custom offset bushes to get the 230mm eye to eye.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Thanks mate! Not sure on the BoXXer fork. I’ve got the 200 Ohlins front and the Ohlins rear is a 240/76 shock with a reduced shaft down to 70mm which gives me 201mm travel and then I run two custom offset bushes to get the 230mm eye to eye.
That's awesome!!!

Reactions: CjP

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Like many on here, I've been agonising over whether to go for a 2020 Levo Comp and beef it up a bit, or the 2020 Kenevo comp.

Anyway, listened to Rob’s recent podcast on his Kenevo Expert and it was the final push I needed to pull the pin on a Kenevo Comp S5 along with a 700 batt. Thanks Rob ?
I'm around 6'1" and 14st without bike gear on. Managed to get a ride on an S4 and S5 (just on the road) and was surprised to find the S5 a noticeably better fit for me (had been planning on S4 based on reach numbers etc).

First proper ride yesterday. Everything stock - just set up tubeless and slapped some decent pedals on. Rode with the heavier 700 batt.
Rode some local off piste trails that are generally steep, slippery and tight with some faster and flatter loam tracks too. I’d just ridden the same trails in the last week on my ‘18 Meta Power and Orbea Rallon acoustic so it was a good opportunity to compare.

First impressions
  • Climbs well - you can feel the steepish seat tube angle compensating for the slack HA
  • Butcher Black Diamonds surprisingly good. Was going to swap out but don't really feel the need now (for the moment anyway)
  • Brose motor noticeable quieter (in this installation at least) than the Shimano on my Meta Power and the Bosch on my previous Haibike Nduro
  • Standover on the S5 is great BUT as others have mentioned, could do with a longer travel dropper than the 160 Manic
  • On steep very tight technical trails, the bike felt reasonably agile. I was really worried the (very) long wheelbase and reach of the S5 would make it difficult to get round tight steep switchbacks but it didn't seem disadvantaged against my size Large Meta Power and XL Rallon.
  • Haven’t dialled in the suspension yet, but on drop offs and smaller jumps it felt very assured and confidence inspiring. The standard 600lb spring on the S5 seemed just about spot on for my weight. Need to ride it a lot more and on different types of trails to give any meaningful comment, but so far, I’m happy with the Marz /Fox coil and fork combo. Will get it up to BPW soon which should give a better indicator.
  • Slightly harder to pop the front up than my Meta but not really an issue - just needs a bit more man handling.
  • As an aside, love the 700 battery – a big reason for wanting to change bikes. Had a monster ride yesterday (almost all in trail) and still had around 100wh left. Not fussed on the awkward battery retaining bolt (same as on the Levo). I tend to charge my battery off the bike most of the time (in work etc) and the bolt just seems a bit of a faff when taking the battery on and off. Small grumble really but just feel this could have been better designed from the off.
Anyway, early days and all that (… and I’ve still got Brose motor anxiety), but so far it’s a thumbs up!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles