No, ebikes aren’t cheating

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Depends on how I ride. If I want a proper workout on my e, I try to keep 15-20 km/h on every uphill. Then I feel i get a good work out. Legs are still nowhere near as pumped as on my analogue bike though

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Yeah, what do scientists know? Just because they've got "methodology", done "research" and "analysis", and have arrived at a conclusion that tallies with other studies...
They can say whatever they want,all I know is that I'm nowhere near 93% on my E as I am on my normal mtb..say a lot for there methodology and research..does anybody else on here feel they get near 90% of the workout?
So my conclusion is its utter bollox

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
They can say whatever they want,all I know is that I'm nowhere near 93% on my E as I am on my normal mtb..say a lot for there methodology and research..does anybody else on here feel they get near 90% of the workout?
So my conclusion is its utter bollox

me and a pal went to bedgebury the other day. Pushed for time we done three laps flat out in turbo.

i was totally bolloxed and blowing.

so yes imo you can get a proper workout.

can’t comment on the original link tho. But I do think you’d be surprised.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
me and a pal went to bedgebury the other day. Pushed for time we done three laps flat out in turbo.

i was totally bolloxed and blowing.

so yes imo you can get a proper workout.

can’t comment on the original link tho. But I do think you’d be surprised.
You absolutely can get a workout,but if you've paid 000s of pounds for 7%help then we must all be mad

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
You absolutely can get a workout,but if you've paid 000s of pounds for 7%help then we must all be mad
I think you’re confusing a 93% heart rate compared to those who aren’t on an ebike, with that somehow being only 7% “assistance”. I don’t think the data says that. It just says that those on an ebike are getting 93% of the cardiovascular workout (heart rate) than those who are on non ebikes.

Then add in the fact that those on ebikes most likely cycle farther than if they had been on a non ebike and you can see that the two forms of exercise are actually similar in the cardiovascular workout it gives you. Admittedly, this is not covered in this study, but everyone is different and cycling style will be a big part of it.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

what we paid it for then? ?

I paid it for more miles and longer rides. Can’t comment on anyone else

but my bike has surpassed all expectations I had for it.

Love riding it and it’s become my main source of exercise which I didn’t intend it for

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
if you ride in Eco then you get a good workout as all eco does is negate the extra weight of the bike. I just have the added luxury that if I don't feel like blowing out of my arse I don't have to by going into a higher mode of assistance

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
I think you’re confusing a 93% heart rate compared to those who aren’t on an ebike, with that somehow being only 7% “assistance”. I don’t think the data says that. It just says that those on an ebike are getting 93% of the cardiovascular workout (heart rate) than those who are on non ebikes.

Then add in the fact that those on ebikes most likely cycle farther than if they had been on a non ebike and you can see that the two forms of exercise are actually similar in the cardiovascular workout it gives you. Admittedly, this is not covered in this study, but everyone is different and cycling style will be a big part of it.
Can't use science and then say e will probably ride further lol

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Listen,everyone's entitled to there opinions however bizarre,but of you feel your getting 93%of a workout on your ebike then good luck,enjoy,but I'm getting much different

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Did I quote any science? No science whatsoever.

but surely you expect the fact if you ride further in the same time but assisted it’ll be closer in terms of rider input. Even assisted

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I would still say an hour on my e..where I could blast out 10 or so miles is still less work/excersize than an hour on my regular bike where I might get just half the miles.

yeah I think you are right. In terms of climbing and cardio.
But then if you are doing a lot more decents and trails as the e bike let’s you cover the ground... you need to factor in that too...

either way. Both fun. ??

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
7% would be around 7-11 fewer beats per minute - I'm not sure that equates to 7% less effort. There's a good chance that would put you in a lower HRZ too.
Personally emtbs give me 100% more exercise than analogue bikes because I don't have one :)

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading

Thought this was interesting, those on ebikes heart rates are 93% of those riding the same trail on an analogue bike.

Cheating at what? I bought an E as it’s different and I can bang out a 20 miler in the time I took do a 13 -15 miler. “Go Further Faster” is my motto. (But watch out for trees). And I’ll take 93%......I am nearly 50!!

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I did some testing on shorter ride 12 kmh with 50 percent uphill other flat, and 400 meter climb gain...I have 135 AVG ? beat with xc bike and 105 AVG ? beat with ebike on forest road with 400 meter climb. Max 166 with ebike and max 180 with xc bike. Average speed 18 kmh on ebike Vs 12kmh on xc bike.. time on xc bike 55 min vs 35 min on ebike...So that means much less exercise on ebike and 77.7 percent of heart rate. This is all normal driving not pushing hard on either bike. I used data from many rides with xc, at least 10 and 5 ebike rides coz I have it only couple of days.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Peoples heart rate for a given amount of effort will depend on their fitness level. I think most of us judge the amount of exercise we have had by how tired we feel. That is not scientific because it that may be physical or psychological......it may be muscle exhaustion or lack of general stamina. Are you able to determine what it is that makes you say..."I have had enough now"?
Yesterday I did my first day at a Bike Park (Windhill) I usually ride natural forest trails or trail centres. I was amazed how tiring it was. I rode back up after each run....most walked. Downhill the motor is doing nothing except making the bike go faster and making it more physical to ride the berms and jumps due to the extra weight. I did about 8 runs on the blue and red runs and sessioned a set of 3 table tops about 15 times. In the end it was my legs that cried enough...not cardio vascular or anything psychological. Im nearly 70. On an analogue bike most of my time would have been spent walking/pushing back up the hill.
So the science means nothing to me. Am I cheating? Yes...I am cheating old age......and gravity.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Cheating at what? I bought an E as it’s different and I can bang out a 20 miler in the time I took do a 13 -15 miler. “Go Further Faster” is my motto. (But watch out for trees). And I’ll take 93%......I am nearly 50!!
Yep, this is the point discussed the last time the same article came up on here:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles