Everyone is cheating compared to this guy!

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Ha. I (and every other kid) used to ride this type of bike in late sixties and mid seventies. All the braking was provided by rear hub. I don't know the English term for it, but we used to call it "kontra". Skidding it always was the name of the game. Steel frames, leather seats. Fun.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a fixed gear, like a track bike, rather than a coaster brake, you actually have to physically lock your legs up to lock up; the back wheel - its a lot of fun, but also lethal if you get it wrong.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Fixed gear, or sometimes known as the "Velo Llama".

A set of Hakkapeliittas makes one harder to skid but makes a great winter bike. In this form with the flat bars they are also known as "Scorchers"

bobpoor.jpg

A friend of mine in CO could rip single track on a bike like this.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Here’
Its a fixed gear, like a track bike, rather than a coaster brake, you actually have to physically lock your legs up to lock up; the back wheel - its a lot of fun, but also lethal if you get it wrong.

Here’s a video by “MC Spandex” making fun of the fixed-gear fad, which I had hoped was gone. Certainly the opposite of an eBike and waaay off topic:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
That’s bonkers, and (here in the UK at least) illegal - you need two forms of braking to ride in ten road (one of which can be back pressure via the fixed gear). That idiot who killed a lady on his track bike learnt this the hard way in 2017...

Cyclist Charlie Alliston jailed for 18 months over death of pedestrian | Cycling | The Guardian

That guy got what he obviously deserved and perhaps less even. However attached to that article was this:

E-bike crash death prompts debate over safety on UK roads

Which hits a little closer to home in regards to this forum but points to the fact that it really isn't about the bike, it's about the rider and their awareness as well as the awareness of pedestrians. Hopefully the eBike guy wasn't as much of a douche.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
E-bike crash death prompts debate over safety on UK roads

Which hits a little closer to home in regards to this forum but points to the fact that it really isn't about the bike, it's about the rider and their awareness as well as the awareness of pedestrians. Hopefully the eBike guy wasn't as much of a douche.
He left the scene before the police arrived which was pretty awful; I didn't know he had been released without charge (so far) though. There was CCTV footage from a distance that seemed to show the lady dashing across the road at a pedestrian crossing at the very end of the time allocated for pedestrians to cross, but it was somewhat indistinct.

Person killed in London by EMTB - EMTB Forums

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Fixies are everywhere in cities in the US, popularized by the bike messenger tribe because they are less likely to be stolen. Some road racers ride them in winter as a change of pace and to work on their spin. They're pretty fun to ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles