Newmen Evolution SL E.G. 30 Tubeless ready, REALLY ready?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Several bikes so far with newman rims. No problem with the tubeless setup. You may need to install proper tubeless tape .

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Several bikes so far with newman rims. No problem with the tubeless setup. You may need to install proper tubeless tape .
That's what i meant if there was tape already in, then i don't agree it's tubeless ready :)

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
yeah i took of the tire and it's some sort of duct-tape like tape...
going to with tubes untill i have time... is it doable DIY or better to leave it to the shop for a few eur extra?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
yeah i took of the tire and it's some sort of duct-tape like tape...
going to with tubes untill i have time... is it doable DIY or better to leave it to the shop for a few eur extra?

What's your concern? I've had no issues with duct tape ( more specifically, Black Gorilla Tape | Gorilla Glue )

4 bikes at a time over the past 5 years, the only bikes that have had tape failures were the ones using " correct" tubeless tape ! ( 3 so far )

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Gorillatape is known to be really tough indeed...
this is how the rim looks like on the inside.

1649247355235.png

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I hade mine done at the LBS, at £25 a wheel from memory it wasn’t worth trying myself with no knowledge or experience lol. I assume it didn’t need much effort for that money.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Is it easy to do yourself if you clean the rim enough with ipa after removing that ducktape style tape?
Leave on the tape that’s already there. No need to remove. It took me about 1.5hrs to complete. I used Muc Off Valves as they have different shaped seals so you pick the best for the rim profile. I had never done it before and was nervous to try but worked well. I did have a compressor to inflate the wheel also. I watched a GMBN Tech video for instructions

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
Just did a tubless conversion on my 2022 140TM and all i did was add valves, sealant and air. for the bike shops to charge £50 to convert a bike I think is a bit of cheek expecially if it is just a matter of installing valves, really no worse than changing a tube. With a budget of what the bike shop charges you can get some top shelf valves and 1L of sealant and still have something left over for the beer fund.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
My rims were ready with tape, conversion was fast and easy.
I have some pics in the tread in my signature.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles