Newmen wheels tubeless

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Hey all
I noticed on the Newmen evolution wheels that the profile is round with no flat where the valve stem comes through.

Has anyone set them up tubeless and did the round profile cause any issues with the stem not sealing?

What valves did you use?

I like the tubeless Numark Schrader valves but as they are a larger diameter than presta I'm concerned they will not seal properly.

Last edited:

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I’ve two wheel sets from them and add issues with large valve stems. I’m now using Muc-Off valves they are great because they come with 3 different rubber adapters to fit most of rim shapes

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I feared that might be the case.
I like the Schrader valves as it's easy to inject the sealant through them once the tyre is mounted.

Is it easy to do the same with presta valves?

I'll look into the muc off valves 👍

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I like the Schrader valves as it's easy to inject the sealant through them once the tyre is mounted.

Yes presta works too, the hole is a bit smaller.
I use this so I don't have to drill the wheels, but still can pump up with a car tyre tool:

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland

Yes very easy you just unscrew the valve core, inject the sealant with a syringe and screw it back.

The valves are on sale on their website by the way. But probably some other good brands work similar

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Thanks for the help chaps, think I'll pick up a set of the muc offs.

I didn't know those Schrader adapters where a thing so might get some of them too as all my pumps are set up for Schrader.

Cheers.

onosendai

Jun 30, 2020
Italy
I tried to tubeless these rims that just arrived this week on my new Cube without success, I don't think it's a valve problem, I have DTSwiss and MucOff, the manual says to tape the rim, I would have avoided this job but it seems necessary on these wheels. A lots of air leaking from the nipples.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I've got hold of some muc off valves now so will be doing this soon.

What rim tape did you use and how many wraps around the rim did you do.
I've heard it's necessary to do at least 2-3 layers at the valves opening.

A little air leak around the valve and spoke ends should seal up after a time.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I've got hold of some muc off valves now so will be doing this soon.

What rim tape did you use and how many wraps around the rim did you do.
I've heard it's necessary to do at least 2-3 layers at the valves opening.

A little air leak around the valve and spoke ends should seal up after a time.
In my experience Schwalbe, DT Swiss and Stan's no tubes tapes all work equally good.
One wrap is enough, start a little bit before the valve hole and finish a little bit after then you have a double layer there. Important is to put a good tension on the tape while wrapping.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I tried to tubeless these rims that just arrived this week on my new Cube without success, I don't think it's a valve problem, I have DTSwiss and MucOff, the manual says to tape the rim, I would have avoided this job but it seems necessary on these wheels. A lots of air leaking from the nipples.
Except some rim designs like Mavic where the inner rim wall is not drilled you always need some tubeless tape for sealing

onosendai

Jun 30, 2020
Italy
I've always had DT Swiss and never problems with taping, I have 25 and 35 MucOff tape at home, I'll have to order 30mm to be sure, too bad about that, I would have preferred better category wheels.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My air inflators seem to be gathering dust. I’ve switched over to Filmore air valves on two bikes. Both bikes were tubeless before but when I needed to install new tires I decided to try these Filmore presta valves.

IMG_6235.jpeg
IMG_6236.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg
I usually ride with 26psi front and back on the Full Suspension with a CushCore Pro on the rear only. I believe these CCPro are slightly larger so they fit into the RaceFace Offset 35mm (29”). I use a Maxxis Assigia 2.6” on the FS.

A LBS mechanic showed me a few techniques to help with the tubeless tires after I replaced the hubs and upgraded the rims to RaceFace offset alloy rims. 30mm for the Hardtail and 35mm for the Full Suspension. The increased POE on the hubs was a noticeable improvement. Anyways, I installed the presta Filmore valves.

I used Stan’s tubeless rim tape on all the wheels. I use to think you needed 3 hands to apply the rim tape but a soft floor and a wall worked. Support the rim between your legs, on the floor and against the wall. Begin taping 5” before the valve hole while slightly stretching and making sure the tape is positioned in the valley first. Use a small towel to do this so you don’t accidentally cut the tape with the pressure of your fingers. Lift the tape to remove any wrinkles as you apply and centre the tape. When you’re satisfied with the application heat an awl to melt a hole through the tape and valve hole. Insert the valve and finger tighten the nut. I then tighten an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn to insure a better seal between the rim tape and rubber on the presta valve. Check this again after the tire and sealant is installed.

I’ve been using Filmore valves with good success. It’s easy to fill with air or sealant but I have added sealant directly into a de-rimed tire. I don’t get any clogging and I can’t remember the last time I’ve added psi to any tire when using these valves. Problem is…they’re not cheap $$.

onosendai

Jun 30, 2020
Italy
I recently do it, and use for the 1st time this newmen tubless strip with no issues.
Good for you, unfortunately mine don't keep air in the rim with that blue tape, in the next few days I'll redo the complete work with 30mm tape, let's see what happens.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Good for you, unfortunately mine don't keep air in the rim with that blue tape, in the next few days I'll redo the complete work with 30mm tape, let's see what happens.
You have to install proper tubeless tape. If the blue tape looks messy, or a kind of plastic one remove it. If not, you can let it stay under the new tape.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Mine hold pressure fine with the standard blue rim tape, Rimpact valves and Peaty's Holeshot sealant. Initially they went down slowly overnight but that's because I didn't have time to ride the bike right away after doing the conversion. I've always found that a ride and a bounce around right after adding the sealant especially with brand new tyres (or tyres that have never seen sealant before) makes them seal up nicely as it gets the sealant spread everywhere.

A mate of mine had a small issue on one of his wheels where the sealant leaked slowly out of some of the spoke holes but simply pumping the tyres back up for a couple of days in a row and riding it solved that.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have always been puzzled by the fact that people can install latex sealant though a Presta valve. The diameter of the hole is smaller than the size of a puncture that the sealant is supposed to seal! On the one occasion that I managed to get the sealant in through a Presta valve it was because I had forgotten to shake up all the bits that were clogged at the bottom of the bottle. The very next day I got a puncture and I had a jet of latex leaving the tyre (never seen that before). Turning the wheel so that the puncture was at the bottom stopped the leak a few seconds later. But as I discovered, only once the pressure had dropped to low enough to allow the sealant to seal. Once I had re-pressured the tyre the seal held for about half an hour before leaking again. It was tube time. Later investigation revealed that the hole was made by a thorn and should have been zero problem. If only I had remembered to shake the bottle! But then the sealant would not have gone down the Presta valve because the bits would have sealed the valve!

Do some latex sealants NOT have bits in? :unsure:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
You removed the valve core right? 🤔🤣 I mean, of course you did, you'd have trouble getting any type of sealant actually through the valve core. I should think before I reply.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You removed the valve core right? 🤔🤣 I mean, of course you did, you'd have trouble getting any type of sealant actually through the valve core. I should think before I reply.
Yes of course I did. :ROFLMAO:
I was also in the habit of removing the valve core when first installing a tubeless tyre to allow the air to flow in much faster to "POP" the tyre beads onto the rims.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Yes of course I did. :ROFLMAO:
I was also in the habit of removing the valve core when first installing a tubeless tyre to allow the air to flow in much faster to "POP" the tyre beads onto the rims.
🤣 Figured. That's how I do mine, tyre on, no sealant, valve core out. Pop the bead with some kind of tubeless inflater or whatever, let the air out, and sealant through the valve, insert valve core, inflate normally, shake the wheels around, go ride.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Just a thought, I've always put my sealant in with the valve at the 3 o'clock position so any sealant I'm putting in is falling down to the 6 o'clock position on the wheel so it can't just fly up and start sealing the valve, especially as there is no air pressure in the tyre at that point.

The sealants that claim to seal 6mm holes or whatever don't actually have peices of latex in that are 6mm big, I'm guessing it seals when multiple smaller pieces jam together in the hole so only seals holes when there is air pressure forcing sealant out through the hole causing the pieces to jam together. So when you're initially filling the tyre through the valve there is nothing forcing the sealant back out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
....... I'm guessing it seals when multiple smaller pieces jam together in the hole so only seals holes when there is air pressure forcing sealant out through the hole causing the pieces to jam together. So when you're initially filling the tyre through the valve there is nothing forcing the sealant back out.
Like too many people trying to get out of a doorway?
In normal times, no problem. But someone shouts FIRE and you get a people jam!

Bazza156

Nov 7, 2020
Swansea
I trying to convert a Cube Stereo hybrid to tubeless but the tape installed on it originally isnt looking very good and doesnt look tubeless ready and doesnt cover the seam well enough! I popped the beads but it not holding air well because its coming out of the seam and im dubious about putting sealant incase it doesnt hold. I'm thinking I need to put some tidy tubeless tape on it to cover the seam properly to hold. Anyone had original tape work?

Last edited:

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I believe the stock tape isn't tubules ready and will need replacing with proper tubeless tape.

Any of the big brands should work equally as well, just get the right width.

I used gorilla tape which has mixed opinions, though for me it's working well.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I believe the stock tape isn't tubules ready and will need replacing with proper tubeless tape.

Any of the big brands should work equally as well, just get the right width.

I used gorilla tape which has mixed opinions, though for me it's working well.
I´ve seen several unit´s and some came with tubless tape, same no. Also some with a slopy tape instalation. i´m now using the elastic tubeless tape from newmen, and I think it´s a good produt/solution.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles