Looking to go tubeless.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi, I’m looking to go tubeless on my 2021 cube reaction hybrid pro 625 but not sure if my wheels come tubeless ready.
Does anyone know if they are tubeless Ready and if not is just a matter of taking existing rim tape off and put the correct tape on with a tubless valve.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
if your tyres say "tubeless" on them, then you just need a valve and sealent, maybe rim tape depending on if it holds air..?
my last cube was a 2019 model and it was apparently "tubeless ready", but after several attempts I found out the rim tape was not sealed, it was leaking through the spoke nipples so I had to remove and fit new tape.
I don't really understand what the whole "tubelsss ready" thing is about. basically what there saying is if it has tubeless tyres on, then it's "ready" for you to do the bulk of the work to convert it by applying rim tape, fitting a valve, refitting the tyre and filling with sealent.
using that logic you could argue any bike is tubeless ready

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
if your tyres say "tubeless" on them, then you just need a valve and sealent, maybe rim tape depending on if it holds air..?
my last cube was a 2019 model and it was apparently "tubeless ready", but after several attempts I found out the rim tape was not sealed, it was leaking through the spoke nipples so I had to remove and fit new tape.
I don't really understand what the whole "tubelsss ready" thing is about. basically what there saying is if it has tubeless tyres on, then it's "ready" for you to do the bulk of the work to convert it by applying rim tape, fitting a valve, refitting the tyre and filling with sealent.
using that logic you could argue any bike is tubeless ready
Thanks for your reply. I’ve ordered valves and sealant and I’ll give it a go once received. I’ll pay attention to any leaks from the rim. ?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Looking at the spec list for the bike, it lists the rims as being 'tubeless ready', it doesn't mention the same for the tyres.

Tubeless ready rims means that they are capable of being set up tubeless with the correct rim tape, valves, tyres and sealant.

At a minimum, you would need to get some tubeless rim tape, (the stuff already on will only be to protect the fitted inner tube from the open spoke holes), some tubeless valves, and sealant. The fitted tyres might work tubeless, but they're not guaranteed to work.

My 2020 160 AT came with both tubeless ready wheels and tyres, but I still needed the proper tape, valves and sealant.

HTH

Embee

Aug 14, 2020
Lancashire UK
Get valves with removable cores so you can get the gunge in via the valve - saves having to wear a wetsuit in the garden while swearing profusely as you try and pour pink sh*te between the rim and the tyre !!

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Now tubeless but at the cost of new Pirelli scorpions as as yous said the stock schwable smart sams were not tubeless tyres ?

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Get valves with removable cores so you can get the gunge in via the valve - saves having to wear a wetsuit in the garden while swearing profusely as you try and pour pink sh*te between the rim and the tyre !!
Yip valves with removable core fitted ?

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Hi, I’m running Pirelli scorpions. I commute to work mostly tarmac and also some off road trails and fire trap gravel roads.
The non ebike version?
Im intrested in the scorpions to, i ride the same as you, 50% tarmac, and most xc rides. Wich one do you run xc ,trail and wich versions m, h, s

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
The non ebike version?
Im intrested in the scorpions to, i ride the same as you, 50% tarmac, and most xc rides. Wich one do you run xc ,trail and wich versions m, h, s
Not sure what xc or trail is but I run M version. Not too knobbly and fine for a 50 mile cycle on tarmac ?

C16C2B29-E039-4BD9-8DEB-C5F82FF424D8.jpeg

75AD8343-D28F-4C90-848C-73CFE285ADEE.jpeg

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Mounted them but man they where a bitch to get on ?
View attachment 60587
What pressure do you run then on tarmac ? Tires says up to 4 bar but that seems insane high
Looking good ?
I run mine at 40psi. Yes there a tight fit on the rim but I have managed to slip the tyre on with just my hands but need some lubricant (fairy liquid) which makes a huge difference.

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
I purchased a pair of Continental Cross Race tyres and finally went tubeless. Could not get the front wheel sealed using Schwalbe tubeless rim tape, so ditched it for some 25mm Gorilla tape from Toolstation and bingo, sorted. Went to do the back wheel and when I removed the rear tyre it somehow already had tubeless tape installed which I found unusual as I bought the bike new ?. Done a 40 mile ride Friday and they are still up so happy days ?.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I purchased a pair of Continental Cross Race tyres and finally went tubeless. Could not get the front wheel sealed using Schwalbe tubeless rim tape, so ditched it for some 25mm Gorilla tape from Toolstation and bingo, sorted. Went to do the back wheel and when I removed the rear tyre it somehow already had tubeless tape installed which I found unusual as I bought the bike new ?. Done a 40 mile ride Friday and they are still up so happy days ?.
Gorilla tape is cheap, looks great and it does the job for a while. But the glue can ease out from underneath the tape and stick your tyres onto the rim. I say "can" because for several wheels and tyres on different bikes I had no such problems. But then I did! Oh boy what a nightmare! :eek:
I entertained the forum for a week whilst the fiasco rumbled on. Eventually the tyre was off and I decided to remove the mangled mess of Gorilla tape from the rim. That was another problem. I got the tape off, but finding something to remove the glue was another issue entirely. Even the makers of Gorilla tape would not recommend me a solvent! In the end I used petrol soaked rags to get it off. I used to be a fan of Gorilla tape and recommended it to all and sundry for rim tape duty. But not now, it is the work of the Devil and the LBS that first recommended it to me should be burned to the ground!

The white stuff on the rim is very sticky Gorilla tape adhesive. And it is thick too. This is after several attempts to remove it with a variety of solvents that I had in my garage. I had also tried using Sellotape, which would eventually work but took ages and a whole reel of Sellotape to remove about one third of the adhesive. The second shot is after the petrol and rags approach and about 30 mins of effort.

Sticky rim 2.jpg

Sticky Rim 3.jpg

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
Gorilla tape is cheap, looks great and it does the job for a while. But the glue can ease out from underneath the tape and stick your tyres onto the rim. I say "can" because for several wheels and tyres on different bikes I had no such problems. But then I did! Oh boy what a nightmare! :eek:
I entertained the forum for a week whilst the fiasco rumbled on. Eventually the tyre was off and I decided to remove the mangled mess of Gorilla tape from the rim. That was another problem. I got the tape off, but finding something to remove the glue was another issue entirely. Even the makers of Gorilla tape would not recommend me a solvent! In the end I used petrol soaked rags to get it off. I used to be a fan of Gorilla tape and recommended it to all and sundry for rim tape duty. But not now, it is the work of the Devil and the LBS that first recommended it to me should be burned to the ground!

The white stuff on the rim is very sticky Gorilla tape adhesive. And it is thick too. This is after several attempts to remove it with a variety of solvents that I had in my garage. I had also tried using Sellotape, which would eventually work but took ages and a whole reel of Sellotape to remove about one third of the adhesive. The second shot is after the petrol and rags approach and about 30 mins of effort.

View attachment 61719

View attachment 61720

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles