Newbie in North Yorkshire

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Evening all

Just signed up to the forum after watching Rob Rides’ channel for a few weeks

Have a Cube Reaction Pro 625 on order, delivery is estimated between now and February, hoping it’ll arrive tomorrow! Yes I’ve ordered a hardtail. I might regret this later but I’ll mainly be riding tarmac / loose gravel / fire roads / light trail and forest tracks so couldn’t really justify the extra grand and a half for a full suspension trail bike

Been riding hardtails all my adult life, but switched to motorbikes five years ago following an illness. After seeing so many emtb’s flying up steep muddy forest trails local to me my interest was sparked so thought I’d invest in some battery powered fun

Chose the Cube for two main reasons: 1) I’ve had a Cube hardtail before and loved it and 2) there’s quite a few Cube dealers local to me so getting spare parts & servicing won’t be an issue. My closest local bike shop is a actually a Focus dealer but they also have the Bosch motor so can take the Cube there if problems arise with the electronics etc

Looking forward to getting dirty on the North Yorkshire Moors and Dales, closest trails to me are Sutton Bank and Dalby Forest. Just need a delivery date on the bike ...

Cheers

Tubs

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Welcome from a fellow N.Yorkshireman. I am waiting to receive my very first eBike Trek Rail 9 which wont be with me until may/june? I ride Dalby on my non eBike hardtail & love it. Yearsley woods is good fun as well

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi j3ayy. Yes done the Dalby red route many a time on my standard hardtail, Yearsley woods isn’t far for me either, in fact I can cycle there, especially as the battery should do half the work! That Trek is on a long delivery time, I thought mine was an impatient wait but that would drive me bonkers. I do realise there’s an international bike shortage on though!

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi j3ayy. Yes done the Dalby red route many a time on my standard hardtail, Yearsley woods isn’t far for me either, in fact I can cycle there, especially as the battery should do half the work! That Trek is on a long delivery time, I thought mine was an impatient wait but that would drive me bonkers. I do realise there’s an international bike shortage on though!
Yea Yearsley woods is a good ride. I was going to wait but i just love the look of the bike & if i chose a different 1 i probably would regret it.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi & welcome, I am local too, on edge of moors.
Tons of great riding in our local... but don't tell everyone.

Dalby regular, both on E-Whyte and regular hardtail, must look at Yearsley Woods.
Is that Focus dealer in Malton per chance? Sutton Bank Bikes (Mrs Pace) are a Cube dealer, and Big Bear in Pickering do Trek.
All Bosch so that's where my Whyte goes.
Yea its Big Bears where i have ordered my Rail 9. Yea Yearsley is a good morning out plenty of up’s & down’s

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Is that Focus dealer in Malton per chance? Sutton Bank Bikes (Mrs Pace) are a Cube dealer, and Big Bear in Pickering do Trek.
All Bosch so that's where my Whyte goes.

Hi Kilham

The Focus dealer I was referring to is Venture Cycles in Thirsk. He’s more of a service shop than a dealer and does a fantastic job. Sutton Bank Bikes is my closest Cube dealer and Richardson Cycles in Scarborough are damn good too. Know Big Bear well, great shop

Yes we are totally spoilt for choice in North Yorkshire but shhhh the secret is safe with me ;-)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Cycle Hub in Fryupdale is fantastic too although their cafe has been closed for the past nine months due to some daft virus apparently!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Its not a secret ...ridden down that area quite a bit( NYM & Dales ) in the past ..but admittedly not for a few years?
Northumberland & Durham is the big secret for those who don't live there ( and even for some who do) ..?
Oops ..nearly forgot ..welcome Tubby G

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Its not a secret ...ridden down that area quite a bit( NYM & Dales ) in the past ..but admittedly not for a few years?
Northumberland & Durham is the big secret for those who don't live there ( and even for some who do) ..?
Oops ..nearly forgot ..welcome Tubby G

Thanks Hodge. Yes Teasdale and the North Pennines is a favourite place to ride the motorbike but it’s such a secret I dare not mention it! Also want to take the emtb to Hamsterley and check out the trails there, but ssshhhh

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Had a call from the bike shop earlier, my bike has been delivered and will be ready for collection tomorrow. So excited, just in time for the festive holiday period. Fantastic, what a result! I think this forum gave me good luck!

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Had a call from the bike shop earlier, my bike has been delivered and will be ready for collection tomorrow. So excited, just in time for the festive holiday period. Fantastic, what a result! I think this forum gave me good luck!
Well jealous haha

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
Evening all

Just signed up to the forum after watching Rob Rides’ channel for a few weeks

Have a Cube Reaction Pro 625 on order, delivery is estimated between now and February, hoping it’ll arrive tomorrow! Yes I’ve ordered a hardtail. I might regret this later but I’ll mainly be riding tarmac / loose gravel / fire roads / light trail and forest tracks so couldn’t really justify the extra grand and a half for a full suspension trail bike

Been riding hardtails all my adult life, but switched to motorbikes five years ago following an illness. After seeing so many emtb’s flying up steep muddy forest trails local to me my interest was sparked so thought I’d invest in some battery powered fun

Chose the Cube for two main reasons: 1) I’ve had a Cube hardtail before and loved it and 2) there’s quite a few Cube dealers local to me so getting spare parts & servicing won’t be an issue. My closest local bike shop is a actually a Focus dealer but they also have the Bosch motor so can take the Cube there if problems arise with the electronics etc

Looking forward to getting dirty on the North Yorkshire Moors and Dales, closest trails to me are Sutton Bank and Dalby Forest. Just need a delivery date on the bike ...

Cheers

Tubs
I have the same bike and I’m well pleased with it. I ride the same surfaces you plan to and it’s more than capable. I may upgrade the forks, add a dropper seat post and go tubeless at some point but I’m in no rush as it handles everything I have done no bother for now.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
yeah ..that happens .
Let us know what you think once you've been on your maiden voyage ..

I will indeed. First thoughts from my quick 15 minute spin:

- Motor is incredibly quiet. Presume it gets louder as it ages

- Standing start to 15mph is around four effortless turns of the pedals

- Damn why are the motors restricted to 15mph

- Hills. What hills ? Simple

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have the same bike and I’m well pleased with it. I ride the same surfaces you plan to and it’s more than capable. I may upgrade the forks, add a dropper seat post and go tubeless at some point but I’m in no rush as it handles everything I have done no bother for now.

No doubt I’lll always be thinking should I have paid the extra £1.5k for a Stereo full suspension but I’ve been throwing myself down rocky bumpy trails on a hard tail since the early nineties so don’t know any different. Not planning on doing any tricky technical descents on the Reaction as my old body doesn‘t heal broken bones as fast these days

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
yeah ..that happens .
Let us know what you think once you've been on your maiden voyage ..

So then, just managed a ten mile hilly round trip on tarmac to test out the bike, my thoughts:

- Anything over 15mph is just like riding a standard bike, except being much heavier is actually quite difficult to maintain speeds of 20mph + unless going downhill obviously

- I’m seriously unfit! Been on motorbikes for the last five years and done zero fitness, the weight has gained heavily on me and this bike is quite a workout!

- I find hills (with motor below 15mph) actually far easier than maintaining speed on the flat (no motor above 15mph), even fairly steep inclines are a breeze (Had the motor in EMTB mode the whole ride)

- Motorbike saddles are far comfier than MTB saddles!

- Did I mention how unfit I am ?

- hit 39mph on a downhill without trying too hard. Perhaps the extra weight of the bike helps as I struggled to get above 35mph on my non-E hard tail

- definitely need mudguards! My jacket is in a right state, can still taste grit and the constant spray when going downhill at speed was slightly annoying

- motor is soooo quiet

- need to try some muddy inclines to really see the advantage of the motor over a standard mtb

Overall I’m very impressed with how easy the hills are, but a little disappointed that the motor cuts off at 15mph so no real assistance at higher speeds. However, this ride was on tarmac, I’m sure it’ll be a totally different experience when taking it on trails. Just need to get my level of fitness up first as my heart rate is still over 90bpm and I finished the ride over an hour ago!

9DE5DD2D-D824-4E79-958B-A41B3A774B1D.jpeg
B062EA7C-D3CC-4451-B865-CE4FC23D68F7.jpeg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Nice one. (y)

I was in a similar unfit state, but they are a great workout and your fitness will return.

I too felt the same about the motor limit at first, and initially looked at de-restricting, but not any more.
The improved fitness will soon see you powering along above the soft motor cut out.
Might not be a popular view, but I think they have it spot on for off-road.

Nice pictures too

Thanks Kilham. Yes I knew they were restricted to 15mph before buying and thought that at least I’ll get fit as my usual cruising speed is around 25mph but the motor will get me up the hills that otherwise I would have probably avoided

Also, take trails like Dalby red. The fast descents are always the fun part whereas the inclines are just a pain in the arse. The eMTB will make those climbs fun too hopefully!

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
Thanks Kilham. Yes I knew they were restricted to 15mph before buying and thought that at least I’ll get fit as my usual cruising speed is around 25mph but the motor will get me up the hills that otherwise I would have probably avoided

Also, take trails like Dalby red. The fast descents are always the fun part whereas the inclines are just a pain in the arse. The eMTB will make those climbs fun too hopefully!
I used to avoid climbs but now I look for them. I even managed to get a crown on Strava at the weekend (e-bike category).Heart rate was upto 176bpm but I actually enjoyed it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles