New wheel set needed, what's strong?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Wheels on the Reign are made of cheese, some impressive dings in the rear after 4 months. Any recommendations for a good value but strong wheelset?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
A hand built set of wheels all day long DT Swiss 350 on DT rims or Spank Hex hubs
Hope Fortus heavy shit 2.5kg a set!!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Wheels on the are made of cheese, some impressive dings in the rear after 4 months. Any recommendations for a good value but strong wheelset?

If you are getting dings in your wheels are you sure there isn't another issue other that crappy wheels? If Giant is anything like Specialized, they don't exactly put a lot of money into their wheelsets. I am a firm believer in Cushcore inserts which have stopped me from messing up my rims. We have had good results with Race Face ARC 30 rims (also ARC 30 HD) on Hope Pro 4 hubs which are mid grade wheelsets. We also use DTSwiss EX511 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs but you can spend way more and still dent your rims if your tires and pressures do not match your trails and riding style. Try Cushcore, its the cheapest solution!

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Running around 25psi in the rear with a DHF DD casing. No insert, I may have to rethink that if I do replace these wheels.

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
I really like the look and reviews of Spank wheels and hubs. Great value with a strong build. They also have a emtb specific rear hub that has a steel free hub, nice. Also like the vibrocore tech they use. Going to try them when I finally destroy the stock wheels.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Hope hubs with DT Swiss EX511, lighter and stronger than Fortus.

Also, run an insert in the rear.
2nd this no personal experience but currently looking at wheels and similar setup been recommended a good few times. I am trying to stick with DT Swiss hubs just from past experience they caused no issues and are so easy to maintain.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I really like the look and reviews of Spank wheels and hubs. Great value with a strong build. They also have a emtb specific rear hub that has a steel free hub, nice. Also like the vibrocore tech they use. Going to try them when I finally destroy the stock wheels.
It has been my experience that an HG aluminum freehub will get chewed up by the cassette so I have switched to a steel one on my Hope Pro 4 HG rear wheel. I also have one mircospline freehub which should be better than an AL HG freehub but XD freehubs seems to be superior until you have to pay for the cassette 😬

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
If you stretch your budget a bit Blueflow wheels are excellent, very strong with a lifetime warranty. The owner is a really nice guy to deal with too. They really make a difference to how the bike rides too.
I’m nothing to do with them, just happy with a set I bought👍

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It has been my experience that an HG aluminum freehub will get chewed up by the cassette so I have switched to a steel one on my Hope Pro 4 HG rear wheel. I also have one mircospline freehub which should be better than an AL HG freehub but XD freehubs seems to be superior until you have to pay for the cassette 😬
This is my experience too. The only issue with a steel HG freehub is having to use an NX cassette which is heavier than a Shimano MS SLX cassette and doesn’t shift as nicely.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
If you stretch your budget a bit Blueflow wheels are excellent, very strong with a lifetime warranty. The owner is a really nice guy to deal with too. They really make a difference to how the bike rides too.

I had a set of Carbon wheels from Stuart and couldn't agree more, outstanding wheels and service if you are looking for Carbon. This time out though I'm going Alu.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Having ridden AL wheels since I started mountain biking, other than denting rims which has been solved by Cushcore, I was wondering what exactly that difference actually is other than double the price of AL wheels? Granted I am not at such a high level or that sensitive to notice the difference in 500g for a wheelset but it is still difficult to drop over $2000 CDN on a set of carbon wheels! What has made you so happy with yours?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
This is my experience too. The only issue with a steel HG freehub is having to use an NX cassette which is heavier than a Shimano MS SLX cassette and doesn’t shift as nicely.
When you bought your KSL, did if come with a XD, HG or Microspline? I find it frustrating that I now have so many different freehubs! I now have a dedicated rear wheel with the steel HG freehub on it for a DH setup so I don't really notice the shifting issue as I don't shift all that often. I am starting to switch over to XD freehubs as trying to remove a cassette of an AL HG freehub was brutal with all the dents it made by the cassette. 4 bikes and 5 wheelsets, which all look the same, and all get swapped around. :rolleyes:

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
So far so good with the aluminum freehub on my Levo, but I will definitely replace it with a steel one eventually. The chain been another story though.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
XD but I haven't used it, I put my Hope/EX511 wheel set on straight away. My Rail has Microspline.
Haha... I kept the cassette and sold the crappy wheelset. I either run my Hope/EX511 wheelset (HG) or my WeAreOne wheelset (XD). My wife has a Chromag hardtail which has a DTSwiss 370 freehub which I think has our only Microspline.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
So far so good with the aluminum freehub on my Levo, but I will definitely replace it with a steel one eventually. The chain been another story though.
Are you running the stock wheels on your Levo? Can you even get a steel freehub? It took me forever to source a Hope Pro4 steel freehub. What is the problem with your chain?

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
Are you running the stock wheels on your Levo? Can you even get a steel freehub? It took me forever to source a Hope Pro4 steel freehub. What is the problem with your chain?
Yup running the stock wheels. I dented the rear wheel within a few rides, my fault really as I should have taken the trail tires off immediately. As far as the steel freehub, yes Spank has a hub with a steel freehub. As far as purchasing just a freehub from Spank, that I’m not sure about. Not something I would do anyways as I would want to have a better hub out back.

The GX chain snapped when I picked up a few gears quickly then stood up to pedal. Sent the bike sideways and injured both my ankles lol. By the time I’m ready to ride again I’ll have a new KMC e12 turbo chain as well as a Cascade link installed 😍.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Yup running the stock wheels. I dented the rear wheel within a few rides, my fault really as I should have taken the trail tires off immediately. As far as the steel freehub, yes Spank has a hub with a steel freehub. As far as purchasing just a freehub from Spank, that I’m not sure about. Not something I would do anyways as I would want to have a better hub out back.

The GX chain snapped when I picked up a few gears quickly then stood up to pedal. Sent the bike sideways and injured both my ankles lol. By the time I’m ready to ride again I’ll have a new KMC e12 turbo chain as well as a Cascade link installed 😍.
Hmmm... I am sure there is someone out there who uses the stock tires and likes them. I am NOT that person. I tried then out on the first Specialized bike I bought (Kenevo) thinking a tire is a tire is a tire. They were no good with the slightest bit of moisture on the ground or on rocks and roots. I have sold every set I have had since.
Spank make good products. I had some Spank wheels on my last Knolly. I am committed to Hope Pro4 hubs now. I have a Cascade link on my Levo SL. Seems like its working well with no complaints! If I could do a blind side by side test between my KSL and my LSL, I wonder if you could tell the difference as they are set up very similar. All these subtlies people talk about in geometry are just numbers to me 🤷‍♂️. I am old. I break things. DT Swiss EX511 rims/ Hope Pro 4 hubs with Cushcore for the win!

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
These were a bargain when they were in stock. I grabbed a rear.

The rear wheel from that set is still in stock. I ordered it from Wiggle (also at chainreaction) for AU$313 shipped to Oz. Built strong apparently.

DT Swiss HX 1501 Spline 30 Boost Rear Wheel | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com)

Last edited:

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I should have looked up and posted the rear only. I mostly beat up rear wheels so when I missed out on the set I wasn't too upset. My wallet and wife were also happy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles