New wheel set needed, what's strong?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I wonder how strong it will be considering it has 28 straight pull spokes instead of 32 J-bend. Are those kind of spokes common? It also specs an 11 speed XD cassette? Does that mean it can not run a 12 speed cassette?
Straight pull spokes are common, often on high end and probably more on light weight wheelsets. I've had no problems with straight pull. XD is XD, they handle 12s.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
AFAIK the number and type of spokes doesn't really matter provided the wheel is well designed and well built to suit its intended purpose. DT Swiss say they designed the wheel to take higher loads with a stronger hub and thicker spokes. It seems to be the same as the HXC 1501 but with an aluminium rim rather than carbon. Perhaps they changed their mind on offering both varieties and are flogging off the HX 1501s?

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
Hmmm... I am sure there is someone out there who uses the stock tires and likes them. I am NOT that person. I tried then out on the first Specialized bike I bought (Kenevo) thinking a tire is a tire is a tire. They were no good with the slightest bit of moisture on the ground or on rocks and roots. I have sold every set I have had since.
Spank make good products. I had some Spank wheels on my last Knolly. I am committed to Hope Pro4 hubs now. I have a Cascade link on my Levo SL. Seems like its working well with no complaints! If I could do a blind side by side test between my KSL and my LSL, I wonder if you could tell the difference as they are set up very similar. All these subtlies people talk about in geometry are just numbers to me 🤷‍♂️. I am old. I break things. DT Swiss EX511 rims/ Hope Pro 4 hubs with Cushcore for the win!
I actually quite liked the traction from the specialized tires, it was just that they were too flimsy for aggressive riding. The new compounds that they use are quite good. I actually like the new Butcher better than the DHF that I’ve ran in the past. I’m sure if I had their Enduro casings I would’ve kept them. The weak side walls were the reason for the dent, the compound and tread pattern were excellent. Yeah, I’m really looking forward to the cascade link. The added 8% progression and extra 10 mm of travel should make the back end feel a lot more Enduro like.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I put that wheel in my basket last night, for the price your a complete wheel with DT Swiss 240hub for less than a 240hub! I don’t really need the wheel but 100% better than a Hope Fortus or Hunt Trail wide, straight pull can be issue with getting replacement spokes but it’s DT not Mavic 😂
The rear wheel from that set is still in stock. I ordered it from Wiggle (also at chainreaction) for AU$313 shipped to Oz. Built strong apparently.

DT Swiss HX 1501 Spline 30 Boost Rear Wheel | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com)

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
AFAIK the number and type of spokes doesn't really matter provided the wheel is well designed and well built to suit its intended purpose. DT Swiss say they designed the wheel to take higher loads with a stronger hub and thicker spokes. It seems to be the same as the HXC 1501 but with an aluminium rim rather than carbon. Perhaps they changed their mind on offering both varieties and are flogging off the HX 1501s?
It has been my experience that less spokes are for lighter riders on less aggressive trails. The wheel have been discounted 66% for a reason but that hopefully does not apply to you!

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Hope Fortus30 here - they're so good. They have the extra internal strengthening too. I'm sure you'll be happy with them, mine have taken some serious downhill abuse and still perfectly straight

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles