Other New to eMTB and have a few Levo Turbo questions

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
  • I want a Turbo Levo with 27.5" wheels front and rear so am I correct in thinking that that would mean I need a 2018/2019?
  • I also want one with the 700w battery so is that 2020 onwards
  • 2020 Onwards only has 29" wheels?

So if the above is correct I have two options:

Option 1 being I get a 2020 model and swap the wheels out to 27.5", so is that possible and is there a general preferred wheelset for this? Don't need anything too mental as it'll mainly be used for urban plus light trails with the odd light downhill but obviously want a hub and freewheel that can handle ebike use and some big fat rims and tyres, I don't even know what wheel fitment these bikes take.

Option 2, I get a 2018/2019 model with the 500w battery and add a range extender.

I'm told the 2018/2019 motors don't have as many issues as the 2020 model had but they are louder and generally not as good?

Currently I'm leaning towards a 2020 model and changing the wheels so any particular pros and cons with either option?

I suppose there is also an Option 3, a 2020 Kenevo as that already has 27.5" wheels and a 700w battery but will that be too much work to manhandle and too slack for urban and light trail use? This would be the easiest option but don't want it to end up being hard work to ride when I'm not on downhill trails.

** I'm not a total noob, just new to ebikes, I'm 41 and have been riding proper mountin bikes since I was about 14 and currently have a 2012 Trek Fuel and a 2019 Inspired Fourplay Team for when I feel like pretending I'm Danny Mac.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Also consider:
This bikes on my shortlist, alongside some 29ers and mullets. Looks like great value. Bosch motor is fantastic too.

You don't want to run 27.5 on a 29er bike, it'll be too low. I did have a 2018 Levo and while it's dated now it was a great bike. Wasn't too loud and the power was enough, but it was meant run 2.8" or 3" tires and wasn't quite right on smaller (too low again). The motor also needed a new belt fairly regularly not a big issue but not something you need to accept these days. I think you're better off going for something like the Cube above if you really want both wheels 27.5. Much more capable bike than the 2018 Levo I'm sure, with a far better powerplant.

And yes as you suspect the Kenevo is a lot of bike and not something I would get unless destined for proper gnarly trails that need that kind of burliness.

The Levo is on my shortlist but I'd run it mullet as it's meant to be and frankly it's really pushing the budget more than it's worth I think (here in Aus).

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
With my current budget I'd probably be looking at a 2020 Cube Stereo 160 so is that still a decent option over the 2022 version?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I just picked up a used 2020 Cube Stereo 160 SL for £2850 so hopefully that'll work for me. If not I'll just have to sell it on and get something else. It's my first venture into ebikes so glad I've not had to spend 4k+ for now.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I just picked up a used 2020 Cube Stereo 160 SL for £2850 so hopefully that'll work for me. If not I'll just have to sell it on. It's my first venture into ebikes so glad I've not had to spend 4k+ for now.
True , I've got a 2019 model, so same as what u want , I upgraded the wheels and changed rear to 27 . Definitely improves the bike . There nice bikes . I like the trek rails too . Have you test rode one yet ? I think that's pretty important.
Well I picked up a 2020 Cube Stereo 160 SL (27.5" wheels and 625w battery I believe) this morning so that's where I'm at currently lol. Seems ok so far, I'm 5'7" so should definitely have a Medium which i got but reckon I want a slightly longer stem and I'll be sorted, if it doesn't work out for me I'll sell it on get something else.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I changed my Levo SL from 29" to 27.5" wheels and 2.1 tires. It lowered the bike about 19 mm, quickened the steering and changed the trail slightly but no other changes to the geometry. I do not ride rock gardens and have had no pedal strikes or any other ground clearance issues.
Your description of "urban and light trail use" is probably similar to what I ride (dirt, sand, gravel plus 6 miles of pavement to get to the dirt).
And that's as close as I get to the water! ;)

20210613_112417_resized.jpg

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I changed my Levo SL from 29" to 27.5" wheels and 2.1 tires. It lowered the bike about 19 mm, quickened the steering and changed the trail slightly but no other changes to the geometry. I do not ride rock gardens and have had no pedal strikes or any other ground clearance issues.
Your description of "urban and light trail use" is probably similar to what I ride (dirt, sand, gravel plus 6 miles of pavement to get to the dirt).
And that's as close as I get to the water! ;)

View attachment 89610
Thanks, that's what I was going for but for now I've gone with a different bike, thanks for sharing though as it's good info for if/when I get a Levo and do the same thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles