New 2020 Levo Turbo Comp, have a few questions

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Hey,

Nice to be a part of this community. Just got the bike a couple of days ago but haven't ridden it much (it's harsh winter here in Canada). I have a few questions:

1 - My front suspension doesn't lock and the "compression" knob doesn't seem to do anything, as it doesn't change my sag or how it responds when I test load it (without actually riding it).

2 - My rear suspension has a lock position but it doesn't lock either. In the open position it sags to about 30% with my weight on it and on the closed position it sags to about 28%.

I'm 220lbs + gear, I'm running 110psi front and 300+ psi rear. The rear needed a lot of PSI. All my other mountain bikes were able to lock, even cheaper suspensions so I'm a little surprised about this. I find that locking helps climbing. Is my suspension defective?

Another question, should my bike store have given me tokens for the suspension, tubeless valves, sag tool, rim tape, etc. I didn't get any of those and I see in this video:

This bike came highly recommended in the reviews across the web but the one thing that I didn't check was user forums. Now I see here that these motors are breaking left and right. Wish they had sorted this out in 2019 but I guess they were busy making the Levo SL (which I only found out about now). I guess I will ride it very hard and hope the motor breaks before the 2 year warranty runs out so I can get a revised motor replaced.

Here in Canada the bike comes with 2.3 rear and 2.6 front tires, already ordered some mud guards because on my first and only ride there was so much gunk on the motor.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
That's what I thought. If there's an issue, which there clearly is, take it back to shop. Its not like a $4 purchase from Amazon that's too much hassle to argue over.

I can only speak for the shop I bought from, but they gave me the option to go rimless at no extra charge, and gave me the tubes too.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
"Bring it back"? Is that what you say over there?
I only thought of that because in Goodfellas, RdN shouts at the mobster in the bar when he comes in with his wife in a fur coat "Bring it back, bring it back" which struck me as an odd use of English. (Bit Off topic. I grant you)

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
1 - My front suspension doesn't lock and the "compression" knob doesn't seem to do anything, as it doesn't change my sag or how it responds when I test load it (without actually riding it).

2 - My rear suspension has a lock position but it doesn't lock either. In the open position it sags to about 30% with my weight on it and on the closed position it sags to about 28%

1: you adjust your sag with an air-pump (more air, less sag)
2: the lock-out does not block your suspension...it just slows it down.

You need to ride your bike, to feel suspension adjustments.
It's propably just fine - be happy :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey,

Nice to be a part of this community. Just got the bike a couple of days ago but haven't ridden it much (it's harsh winter here in Canada). I have a few questions:

2 - My rear suspension has a lock position but it doesn't lock either. In the open position it sags to about 30% with my weight on it and on the closed position it sags to about 28%.

I'm 220lbs + gear, I'm running 110psi front and 300+ psi rear. The rear needed a lot of PSI. All my other mountain bikes were able to lock, even cheaper suspensions so I'm a little surprised about this. I find that locking helps climbing. Is my suspension defective?

Another question, should my bike store have given me tokens for the suspension, tubeless valves, sag tool, rim tape, etc. I didn't get any of those and I see in this video:

This bike came highly recommended in the reviews across the web but the one thing that I didn't check was user forums. Now I see here that these motors are breaking left and right. Wish they had sorted this out in 2019 but I guess they were busy making the Levo SL (which I only found out about now). I guess I will ride it very hard and hope the motor breaks before the 2 year warranty runs out so I can get a revised motor replaced.

Here in Canada the bike comes with 2.3 rear and 2.6 front tires, already ordered some mud guards because on my first and only ride there was so much gunk on the motor.

It is not easy to set your suspension just with SAG...you need to use that just as a starter then go ride. The chances are it will change as the suspension is cycled in use..and then settle down. Your pressure setting do not sound wildly out although I would bet they would both come down if you depressured them and started a gain this time cycling the suspension several times as you gradually increase the pressure. You are right there is no lockout and neither do you need it for climbing. You will find most people run with forks and shock on full open and never change it. The fork compression if set on anything other than full open mostly affects the mid stroke so you are unlikely to be able to notice that without riding it.
Don't be misled by fault reports on the forum. It gives a false perspective. Of course some products develop faults but the vast majority of owners experience no problems. Even so it is worthwhile following the misfortune of others to learn what you can do to either avoid those problems or at least monitor for anything similar happening on your bike.
The bike comes with the ability to be set up tubeless if required so if the lbs does not set it up that way you should get the tubeless valves. The wheels are taped for tubeless regardless. The valves are worth about £8 so I would not worry a bout it. The SAG guide piece of plastic similarly adds nothing since the Rockshox suspension is marked for SAG anyway. You will likely find if you look that both shock and Forks are already fitted with more spacers/tokens than manufacturer spec so no you do not get any more!
Stop fretting and just enjoy your bike. It is a fantastic bit of kit.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the replies. The 3 other MTB suspensions I have lock completely (2 are Fox and 1 is Rockshox) but they are different models so I thought that was the expected behaviour.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Also check your rear tyre...think you will find it is 2.6
I Know that in the UK both front and rear are 2.6, but here in Canada they specced it with 2.3 at the rear and 2.6 at the front. I will double check but I'm pretty sure I saw 2.3 on the tire.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Yup, shock doesn't lock, just really slows down. Hardly use it as:
If I flip the switch forward it nearly catches on my Hot Laps Gripper.
Don't get the same pedal bob on an e-bike, I reckon.
I did have a problem with my fork though, compression didn't feel right and the clicks on the adjuster disappeared. LBS agreed it wasn't right so off it went to SRAM and back in a week fully serviced. Been good since. I wonder if the fork head lesson around for ages and kind of dried up or something.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
the web site and brochures all said 2.3 but don't know anyone that had a bike delivered with anything other than 2.6.
Just confirmed my rear tire is 29x2.3

Rear:
5DCC910B-6B8D-49EE-A50C-A079DFFE1C63.jpeg

Front:
B52D55DC-2C18-4A08-8CBD-764FE631208B.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ah thanks....so the web site was right for your country. Certainly the uk bikes were fitted with 2.6 according to people here on the forum.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Ah thanks....so the web site was right for your country. Certainly the uk bikes were fitted with 2.6 according to people here on the forum.
Interestingly I measured with calipers and I got 2.6 for the front and 2.4 for the rear

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have a 2020 comp and the rear locks, its really noticeable. Front its very subtle but does have some effect. TBH I dont really use either lockout, if used I am likely to forget to unlock before descending. With the battery power I dont really worry about the bobbing any more climbing.

I've also found I've needed to install volume spacers. I am up to 4 in the front, and about to order more to take me to the max of 5. Rear I'm undecided on yet.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
the rear locks, its really noticeable
Ah, that makes more sense, every rear shock I've had before that had a "lock" position would actually lock. Now I wonder if I should take it back to the store to repair the shock. If the lockout is defective I wonder if there are other problems with it.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thanks for the replies. The 3 other MTB suspensions I have lock completely (2 are Fox and 1 is Rockshox) but they are different models so I thought that was the expected behaviour.

They shouldn't do that, particularly in the rear. That creates an INSANE amount of stress on the mounting points.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Rear shock on Levo 2020 Comp doesn't lock either, it's just gets much stiffer ...

Last edited:

iyoon

Nov 10, 2019
Greenville, SC
Rear shock on Levo 2020 doesn't lock either, it's just gets much stiffer ...
Ah, that makes more sense, every rear shock I've had before that had a "lock" position would actually lock. Now I wonder if I should take it back to the store to repair the shock. If the lockout is defective I wonder if there are other problems with it.
My 2020 Levo Comp's rear shock doesn't lock, it stiffens somewhat. My Specialized bike shop confirms that is what it is supposed to do. US web site says it comes with 29x2.3 Eliminator Black DMND as a rear tire but everybody's getting 29x2.6 including me.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are we talking about the same shock? Mine is 2 positions at 180 degrees. Straight up and straight down. Lock and open. Lock just stiffens the stroke a bit like the trail setting on a 3 position shock. There is no full lock out.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thinking about it the suspension both fork and shock are tuned stiffer than the standard versions to cater for the extra weight and forces of an e mtb. They are also both air shocks (Levo) so naturally progressive anyway. Then you have the motor assist which reduces the crank forces that could cause peddle bob when climbing. So most emtb riders I know see no need to use lock out or adjustable compression modes on the fork or shock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles