New to e-bikes and general riding. Wanting a few upgrades. No idea.

NickyBrown1983

May 30, 2023
Rotherham
Hi. I am very new to mtb and E-biking in general. I have a Giant Talon e sport + 27.5. I love the bike and generally use it for commute to work and rides at the weekend. I am wanting to upgrade a few things, like suspension and a dropper post. I have looked it to suspension but finding it very confusing. My current forks are Suntour xcm 32. Has a tapered stem and believe a 15mm x 100mm boost axle. Has anyone any recommendations or help. Thank you.

target2804

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
Its hard to give you any advice if we don´t know what kind of bike you have and which parts are already on it. Also without knowing what kind of rides you do at the weekend, its really hard to say.

A boost axle has 15x110 mm.

General info for replacing the fork / damper:

Don´t change the travel unless you want to change the geometry of the bike. Have a look at your offset that you ride at the moment and try to find a fork with the same.
For example: if you have a Rockshox 35Gold 150mm fork with 44mm offset, you can replace that with a different 150mm fork (e-bike compatible) with the same offset. You can also change the offset but if you don´t know what that is and what it does to your bike, i´d not recommend it.

Damper travel can be found on the Rockshox Trailhead app or website. You just put in the serial number of your damper and get the dimensons. For me its 205x57,5 trunnion. I now can look for a better damper with the same specs and buy it.

I almost changed every part of my bike already. Possibilities are endless. But you have to find out what you really need.

NickyBrown1983

May 30, 2023
Rotherham
Hi, thank you for the reply. It’s a Giant talon e+ sport 27.5. The forks I have on are suntour xcm32 with 100mm of travel. I mainly ride trails at the weekend, nothing serious at all. As I said previous, it’s a tapered head tube and yes it’s has a boost axle.

I have been looking at the Rockshox Judy silver with 120mm of travel which seem to be a good fit.

Thank you .

target2804

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
Its hard to say how a larger travel will affect your bike geometry. I am not an expert when it comes to things like that. In general i´d say its possible to get a 120mm fork but my question would be: is 20mm travel worth the effort? I don´t think so.

I also don´t think that upgrading to a Judy Silver TK Solo Air is a big upgrade. I´d at least buy a Reba with adjustable low speed compression. But as I already said: i don´t think its worth an upgrade. i would not consider your bike as a trail bike, too. If you want to ride trails, go get a fully with 140 - 150mm travel.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi. I am very new to mtb and E-biking in general. I have a Giant Talon e sport + 27.5. I love the bike and generally use it for commute to work and rides at the weekend. I am wanting to upgrade a few things, like suspension and a dropper post. I have looked it to suspension but finding it very confusing. My current forks are Suntour xcm 32. Has a tapered stem and believe a 15mm x 100mm boost axle. Has anyone any recommendations or help. Thank you.
When I get a new bike the first thing I change is the grips, because I have problems with my hands. I use Ergon GP1. Pedals that come with new bikes are usually very basic ones, so I fit my preferred ones - DMR Vaults the same ones I've had for years. I keep the original pedals for when I sell the bike. Next up is the saddle. I will not use a saddle, other than for a test ride, that does not fit my sit bone width. I prefer WTB's Rocket. Sit-bone width is grossly undervalued, see here how Rachel Atherton measures it. I prefer to sit on a piece of corrugated carboard and measure it directly. See here for WTB's fit right system, introduced by Rachel:

So that is the contact points sorted (grips, pedals, saddle), what's next? The first thing is to get the bike set up for you, lever angles for brakes and shifters, dropper remote and so forth. Is the saddle in the right place fore/aft, is it at the right angle. There are lots of guides on MTB fit.

Then it's time to get the suspension set up to suit you. I can set it up very quickly and get it close enough for my first ride, but it takes several rides to get it dialled in. You may have to add or remove some travel spacers from the suspension if it has that level of adjustability. This is useful for beginner and expert alike:

Bikerumor Suspension Setup Series: Full Series PDF - Free Download!

Do not forget to experiment with tyre pressures! Buy a digital tyre pressure gauge and you will not waste your money. I first saw the following guide years ago and it was transformative: Tyre pressures can have an enormous impact on grip and ride comfort.

Tech Tuesday - Find Your Tire Pressure Sweet Spot - Pinkbike

Only when I believe that I have the got the best out of my existing bike without spending much money (if any at all) will I start looking at spending some hard-earned cash. By "upgrades" I assume that you don't mean cosmetic stuff like coloured grip collars, pedals, brake disc spokes and so forth.

Start by asking yourself what things are happening that you either don't like or want to improve? Here are a few suggestions that shouldn't cost major amounts of money, not in any particular order.

Are you running wide on corners, skidding sideways, rear wheel spinning out on loose climbs? Then take a look at tyre pressures and/or different tyres. Don't just go wider or more knobbly, consider a softer compound as well. If the tyres are too draggy for where you ride, then consider a harder compound and a lower profile tread.

Are you troubled with lots of punctures? Then consider going tubeless with sealant, first with your existing tyres if you are otherwise happy with them. Or maybe using tubes that already have sealant in them. There are other solutions available.

Is braking a problem? Are the levers spongy, do they improve if you pump them repeatedly? Then they probably need bleeding. If they are loud, then the pads and discs have become contaminated. Look on YouTube for what to do. If the brakes are not spongy but just not stopping you fast enough then consider different pads, larger diameter discs, or ultimately a new braking system. That is an upgrade that really will allow you to go faster! (Because you know you will be able to stop!)

To get your riding more responsive and more comfortable at the same time, you may want to research the impact of wider bars, more upsweep, shorter or longer stems. I fitted some wider bars and a shorter stem to one bike and I could not believe the extra control it gave to the bike. Not too expensive either.

Is your shifting troublesome? Is it properly set up, has it been adjusted since new, has the chain, cassette, ring worn out (any, some, or all)? Advice on here and on YouTube is plentiful. You can replace items if they are worn, whether you choose to replace with a more expensive item is down to you, but the sweet spot for cost/value is said to be Shimano SLX and its Sram equivalent (not sure, but may be GX).

If the terrain is a bit steep and the downhills are looking and feeling scary, then a dropper seatpost is an absolute essential. If I bought an mtb without one, it would the first thing I'd fit after I'd got the contact points sorted out. If your chosen trails are not steep then you don't really need one (they are nice though). Don't be talked into spending hundreds of pounds. The Brand-X droppers sold by CRC are fantastic value and judging by experience theyseem to be just as durable as the expensive ones. Make certain that you buy the correct size, it's easy to get it wrong.

Now you are coming to the real money, the suspension. This is an area where big changes can be expensive and small changes may not be worth the money. Take lots of advice and be clear in your own head what you are looking for. Do you want a stiffer fork, more and better controlled rebound damping, more travel, more and better controlled compression damping. Any, some or all are available at a cost, maybe be quite a large cost. Almost any air spring fork is better than an entry level coil spring fork. Take advice.

I almost forgot. One of the most beneficial upgrades, in terms of bang for buck, is an upgrade to the rider! I would urge you to consider going on a skills course or two, or three. I used to go on at least one and sometimes two per year. Eventually I stopped when I realised that I had reached peak skill and no amount of coaching would make me any better. (That was a sad day). :unsure:

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
When I get a new bike the first thing I change is the grips, because I have problems with my hands. I use Ergon GP1. Pedals that come with new bikes are usually very basic ones, so I fit my preferred ones - DMR Vaults the same ones I've had for years. I keep the original pedals for when I sell the bike. Next up is the saddle. I will not use a saddle, other than for a test ride, that does not fit my sit bone width. I prefer WTB's Rocket. Sit-bone width is grossly undervalued, see here how Rachel Atherton measures it. I prefer to sit on a piece of corrugated carboard and measure it directly. See here for WTB's fit right system, introduced by Rachel:

So that is the contact points sorted (grips, pedals, saddle), what's next? The first thing is to get the bike set up for you, lever angles for brakes and shifters, dropper remote and so forth. Is the saddle in the right place fore/aft, is it at the right angle. There are lots of guides on MTB fit.

Then it's time to get the suspension set up to suit you. I can set it up very quickly and get it close enough for my first ride, but it takes several rides to get it dialled in. You may have to add or remove some travel spacers from the suspension if it has that level of adjustability. This is useful for beginner and expert alike:

Do not forget to experiment with tyre pressures! Buy a digital tyre pressure gauge and you will not waste your money. I first saw the following guide years ago and it was transformative: Tyre pressures can have an enormous impact on grip and ride comfort.

Only when I believe that I have the got the best out of my existing bike without spending much money (if any at all) will I start looking at spending some hard-earned cash. By "upgrades" I assume that you don't mean cosmetic stuff like coloured grip collars, pedals, brake disc spokes and so forth.

Start by asking yourself what things are happening that you either don't like or want to improve? Here are a few suggestions that shouldn't cost major amounts of money, not in any particular order.

Are you running wide on corners, skidding sideways, rear wheel spinning out on loose climbs? Then take a look at tyre pressures and/or different tyres. Don't just go wider or more knobbly, consider a softer compound as well. If the tyres are too draggy for where you ride, then consider a harder compound and a lower profile tread.

Are you troubled with lots of punctures? Then consider going tubeless with sealant, first with your existing tyres if you are otherwise happy with them. Or maybe using tubes that already have sealant in them. There are other solutions available.

Is braking a problem? Are the levers spongy, do they improve if you pump them repeatedly? Then they probably need bleeding. If they are loud, then the pads and discs have become contaminated. Look on YouTube for what to do. If the brakes are not spongy but just not stopping you fast enough then consider different pads, larger diameter discs, or ultimately a new braking system. That is an upgrade that really will allow you to go faster! (Because you know you will be able to stop!)

To get your riding more responsive and more comfortable at the same time, you may want to research the impact of wider bars, more upsweep, shorter or longer stems. I fitted some wider bars and a shorter stem to one bike and I could not believe the extra control it gave to the bike. Not too expensive either.

Is your shifting troublesome? Is it properly set up, has it been adjusted since new, has the chain, cassette, ring worn out (any, some, or all)? Advice on here and on YouTube is plentiful. You can replace items if they are worn, whether you choose to replace with a more expensive item is down to you, but the sweet spot for cost/value is said to be Shimano SLX and its Sram equivalent (not sure, but may be GX).

If the terrain is a bit steep and the downhills are looking and feeling scary, then a dropper seatpost is an absolute essential. If I bought an mtb without one, it would the first thing I'd fit after I'd got the contact points sorted out. If your chosen trails are not steep then you don't really need one (they are nice though). Don't be talked into spending hundreds of pounds. The Brand-X droppers sold by CRC are fantastic value and judging by experience theyseem to be just as durable as the expensive ones. Make certain that you buy the correct size, it's easy to get it wrong.

Now you are coming to the real money, the suspension. This is an area where big changes can be expensive and small changes may not be worth the money. Take lots of advice and be clear in your own head what you are looking for. Do you want a stiffer fork, more and better controlled rebound damping, more travel, more and better controlled suspension damping. Any, some or all are available at a cost, maybe be quite a large cost. Almost any air spring fork is better than an entry level coil spring fork. Take advice.

I almost forgot. One of the most beneficial upgrades, in terms of bang for buck, is an upgrade to the rider! I would urge you to consider going on a skills course or two, or three. I used to go on at least one and sometimes two per year. Eventually I stopped when I realised that I had reached peak skill and no amount of coaching would make me any better. (That was a sad day). :unsure:
Well, I wish I had this advice when I first purchased my bike. Good write up and I just might print this out and hand it to any new bike owner. 👍🏻

I basically followed this method when I first purchased my bike. It probably saved me hundreds $, if not thousands $. But this is a great guide.

NickyBrown1983

May 30, 2023
Rotherham

Now you are coming to the real money, the suspension. This is an area where big changes can be expensive and small changes may not be worth the money. Take lots of advice and be clear in your own head what you are looking for. Do you want a stiffer fork, more and better controlled rebound damping, more travel, more and better controlled suspension damping. Any, some or all are available at a cost, maybe be quite a large cost. Almost any air spring fork is better than an entry level coil spring fork. Take advice.

Thank you for all the pointers and advice. Very much appreciated. Will look at saddle and going tubeless. Again thank you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles