New Member - I have no idea

GriffithsHMD

May 6, 2022
North Wales
Hello - I am a mum of 16 yo who had a mtb accident last year. it has left him with reduced mobility/knee range of motion. He was an avid MTB and can no longer get up the hills. Looking for inspo from people who know about E bikes as what bikes are good and what are the pitfalls. He could do with a bike for the next 18 months before he starts with driving to Get around and hang on the mountains with his mates that he hardly sees due to restriction.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Hi, really sorry to hear that and I am sure that an ebike will do a great job of opening up the mountains to him again. A lot depends on your budget really but I would shop around the well known brands: Specialized, Orbea etc. Try to get a demo bike for a trial and even consider used especially if you can test it before you buy it.

I am sure others will give lots of good advice on here.

GriffithsHMD

May 6, 2022
North Wales
Thank you @Rich-EMTB-UK . See I never even considered a bike for trial. We live in the sticks of N Wales so not many bike shops here to try. He has a YT std bike but we have had problems with that and less than 2 years old when accident happened. Thanks for your advice

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sorry to hear, I'm always fearful of this happening to my lad.. same age.
an ebike will almost certainly get him around, if he can walk then he will be able to pedal an ebike but as Rich already said, some places will hire you a bike for a weekend and then refund the money if you go on to purchase.. last time I enquired about this it was £70 and woul dbe well worth it.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
One of the best-value quality full-suspension e-mtb bikes in the UK is the Decathlon Stilus, v1 is £2.7k and v2 is £3.5k.

They also do a "Rockrider" range that is hard-tail (no rear suspension) but even cheaper.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A young lad out with his mates in some of the best mtb territory..............mmm......I dont think he would be happy with anything that lacks capability, or possibly more important, that he and he mates consider not to be a good bike ( or "cool")!!
So you really need to start with what budget is available, and what size bike is likely to fit him.
A good capable/"cool" bike bought brand new is going to be c £5k to £7k so if that is out of reach even with a finance deal, you are really looking at second hand.
If you look at buying an EMTB second hand then warranty is important. Some bike brands only warranty the original owner, others have transferable warranty. The most important aspect of warranty being the motor.
An example that could combine lower price with good transferable warranty remaining would be a 2020 Specialized Levo. The 2019 and 2020 Levos were given an extended warranty for the motor of 4 years ( standard was 2 years) from original date of purchase and all you need is the original purchase receipt to be a ble to use that extended warranty. There are lots of Levos for sale on Ebay and FB marketplace if that is the route you choose. Maybe best to get advice from the forum in respect of any listing you find of interest. There are a number of checks you need to do to help ensure the bike is not a rip off!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles