All the gear, no idea!

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
Hi all,

I got myself a 2022 cube stereo 140SL a few months ago. The idea was to replace my KTM enduro as I was fed up travelling so far just to be able ride the thing off road. So in that respect it’s been great.

I found this place while looking for a fix to my first problem. (Probably like most people who sign up!) the chain keeps jumping off the chainring when in a high gear. Already snapped a chain and made a mess of the chainring.

View attachment 91889

I’ve YouTube’d how to set the derailleur once I’ve replaced the chainring but now I’m struggling to find a 34T for my bosch gen4 motor. Can anyone suggest a decent chainring? Or is it worth buying a spider to open up options? It’s a 12 speed Shimano set up with a 52mm boost chainline (whatever that means!) should I also be replacing the chain regardless?

TIA

@TommyC - Sorry to hear about the issues. There seems to be a combination of factors which are causing that issue on a small qty of this specific Cube model. Moving out the chainline improves the problem. Reach out to us via our warranty form here and we can get you sorted: https://support.ethirteen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038827791-Warranty-Request-Submission-Form

Regards

Chris

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
A friend recently had the chain coming off her Trek Powerfly 4. LBS quickly realised the freehub was sticking and pushing the top run of the chain towards the chainset, creating slack so that it derailed. Pedals rotating when the bike was pushed forwards was the giveaway. New pawls in the freehub I think was the fix.

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
I had a similar issue…. I did not read all the replies.
But I had a loose motor mount. Under load it would shift and throw the chain.
Check your mounts.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Have you checked the clutch ternion on the rear derailleur. That's the one thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. And it's the one thing that will also do what you're complaining about. The Shimano derailleur has an adjustable clutch tensioner for the rear derailleur. With the clutch on there should be minimal resistance to twisting forward and back the jockey Wheels go find a YouTube that explains how that is measured tested and how it is remedied make sure that if it's grabbing a little too tightly and you go to lubricated as it will be a standard Shimano process and should be done at this point make sure that you purchase the exact right lube Grease to lube this little spot it's a unique Grease look it up check it out and then report back here please.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
So
It could be that with supply issues, they've put an 11t chainring on or just made an error on the whole batch. I know Focus did something similar last year and it resulted in lots of chains falling off and other issues.

So I’ve spoken to leisure wheels where I bought the bike and they’ve told me it is a known fault on this model and they will send me a replacement chainring. I will compare with the existing one when it gets here and report back!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
would the chainrings have a different offset then?
no..the offset is determined by the hub width...so boost is boost whether 11 or 12 speed. What may be different which is what I think @Zimmerframe was referring to, is whether the chainwheel was for a 11 speed rather than 12 speed chain. Again ( before I have to be corrected) I am more familiar with SRAM than Shimano and there seems more confusion/disagreement as far as Shimano kit is concerned, as to whether you can mix 11 and 12 speed components successfully. It does seem to me that using Shimano branded components rather than 3rd party is a safer route to follow.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I live in Florida and ride on sandy/dirt ground. I use a dry lube (goes on wet, then dries) which works well to keep the dirt off the drive train, as well as soft-brooming the dirt and sand from chain and cogs after each ride. However I had a recurring issue with chain skip in high gear and my chain jumping the chain ring. Took me a while to find the issue. Turns out it was very fine dust getting into the chain links and causing one or more links to stiffen (not move freely). I degrease, clean and re-lube my chain more often now and no more problem. I kept looking for more complex problems as the cause when all along the issue was that simple.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles