Hi all, new member wanting to get back into biking

Zirkster

Apr 24, 2020
Lancashire
Hi all hope you are all well, im looking for some advice.

I'm looking to get back into biking and i think i'm definitely looking to get EMTB.

Historically i only only ever ridden mountain bikes in my past, i don't road bikes i just don't fit them well.

Now i watch all the videos and read all the reviews and i decided to make a purchase off decathlon of the new full suspension stylus.

Unfortunately it was not the greatest experience, bike came with missing part so the seat would not attach also handle bars badly scratched and when i got the seat sorted (ordering the part myself, as the support under corvid was so slow with decathlon). when i got finally ride the bike it then had gearing issues where it slipped constantly in bottom gear, i did all the gear adjust possible to try and fix this, my only conclusion was that the derailleur may have been damaged in transit it do look slightly out of position, previous to this i had been offered a discount, but they would not allow me to take it to another shop to repair and they had no repair facilities due to corvid and i had bought last bike so no replacement could be done, so i arranged its return which took ages.

So i purchased a bike and 6 weeks later i now have no bike again and i'm again in the position where i need to choose again which is never a quick process.

Now to be honest, i will use the bike for a daily commute apart from one big hill is an easy easy ride, i live in quite hilly area with access to fire paths and some good off road rides.

Now initially i will be getting used to things and most of my rides will be on the roads or simple off roads.
I'm 45 and overweight so i'm looking to lose weight and get into shape and in a few months venture on to more adventurous climbs and descents.

I want a bike to grow into i'd prefer not to get a hardback then be wanting to change it in a year.

now i have two or 3 bikes which are in my budget two 2020 bikes which are discounted at the present (just over 3 grand)

Focus jam2 6.7 Focus Bikes - JAM² 6.7 NINE (love the possiblity of the feature which allow switch between 29 and 27.5 bike has a lot of ticks for me bosch interface is clunky)

Vitus e-sommet VRS Vitus E-Sommet VRS - Vitus Bikes (lots of rave reviews from last years model does not much different)

and 2019 bike

xf1-integra XF1 INTEGRA 140 TRAIL - Fantic Bikes (just under 3 grand) (down side no dropper post, reviews say good none say excellent)

now i like the look of the first two bikes,

I like the size of the battery size in both the XF1(630) and the Focus(625), from the test run i have been on i did prefer the shift between modes on the shimano motors which is on the vitus has, but i bought bosch before on the stylus and its not a deal breaker.

I have not tried the brose engine which is on the XF1, but i have read excellent things.

So im wanting opinions and suggestion if your willing to give me some of your time, am i buying too much of a bike or are these bikes which will give me a number of years of pleasure.

Thanks in Advance

Paul

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Do you have a local bike shop you can visit that sells/supports ebikes? That's where I'd be looking if I were you

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds like you were very unlucky on the decathlon. Seems like a superb bike for the money and your choice was spot on. Saying that, my first e-bike was a decathlon, which was also scratched up from new and I had various problems with and returned it. A few weeks later I saw it in the shop for sale as new and it had me wondering if mine was even new in the first place .. so I guess that it's fantastic they do the return in 12 months thing, but they unfortunately seem to sell used bikes as new bikes.

For the fantic, great value. I think @Tim29 might be able to tell you more on that ?

You can't really go wrong with the other two either. Vitus can be lacking in their customer support, but you can generally goto a Shimano service centre. The Focus is loved by all who have one.

Zirkster

Apr 24, 2020
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies, well the Fantic in my size had sold out and the vitus was not on 25% discount the next day. The Focus was still 20% off and i was able to get another 5% with a voucher. So i am happy with my purchase, hopefully i shall not get any delivery issues with delivery and build issues like my last purchase.

@lumpy i have to say there is a number of local shops.

one or two i will use for my regular servicing and other things, but i have to say they where all pretty poor in allowing me to try out the bikes or did not seem interesting in selling , one would allow me to try them on a flat car park. also they where badly priced and they seem to lack the credit options i wanted. the most helpful, one was delaying in get in the new bikes, i had tried the Previous focus jam2, but i was definitely more interested in the 2020 model with the large battery.

I did get to try about 10 bikes before bought but i had to go some distance to try these out.

I understand the concern about not buying locally to get things dealt with if there is an issue, i'm quite capable in doing work on the bike, the issue i had with the gear was not a tuning issue , i fully re calibrated the derailleur and the issue still occurred, i would prefer to buy locally, but also i im working to a budget, i have saved over a grand on a 2020 bike so i'm happy, the only focus reseller locally only has 2019 in and with no discount

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles