New Spectral:ON 2022

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
So in respect to the rear brake change over / it was a ball ache !! The motor had to be removed to allow the new brake cable to be threaded back into fixings. Two man job as it was tight and needed to be gently eased around the bends in order to not kink the hose. Won’t be changing that again ! Ha
Picture shows the interenal routing of cables. Pretty cool inside tbh. Only good thing was to actually see how the inside works, interesting.
EACBA8DD-E3D5-47EE-A542-F9BE88DDDB9E.jpeg

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
Hi guys!
I'm considering to buy spectral:ON 22 cf7 model as my first ebike. As i read that thread I saw some of You riding this bike and maybe would help me and answer some questions I have.

0. is it your first ebike or not?

1. How long do you have it and have you had any problems with it (frame, motor, etc) that required you to send the bike back for warranty, etc? All sorts of problems, from the more serious to the minor ones, such as: unsatisfactory finish quality.
2. If so, has the problem been resolved (no additional costs)?

3. how many kilometers have you ridden on your spectral so far? Is there any option to see on shimano steps whats is current battery life / maximum capacity, like on smartphones? If yes could you tell how is your battery after X distance?

4. I read that charger can get really warm, any problems with charging or charger itself besides that? How long it takes to full charge?

5. How would you rate the frame? Is it feel robust? Do you have any concers when riding steep walls or rocky gardens? Or you feel confident that frame with handle every trails/downhills you ride? ;)

6. I see there is a canyon 'standard' for water cage.. (hate that things) but is that canyon watre cage compatibile with non cnayon water bootles? ;D

7. Overall user experience and would you buy it again? Ew. what do you like about it and what not.

Thanks in advance!

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
0. is it your first ebike or not?
I think this is number 5 or something like that

1. How long do you have it and have you had any problems with it (frame, motor, etc) that required you to send the bike back for warranty, etc? All sorts of problems, from the more serious to the minor ones, such as: unsatisfactory finish quality.
I had mine (CF9) since June or maybe July, no problems so far

2. If so, has the problem been resolved (no additional costs)?
This is my second Canyon EMTB and my other have had an issue with battery connections and for that I had some support from a local shop that also is a Shimano service center, cost covered by Canyon

3. how many kilometers have you ridden on your spectral so far? Is there any option to see on shimano steps whats is current battery life / maximum capacity, like on smartphones? If yes could you tell how is your battery after X distance?
I have done 780km on my spectral so far and on my Neuron 7500km hehe
If you want exact readings my advice is to connect your bike to a Garmin device I use an Edge 830 and then you get % left insted of the 5 stupid bars.
To see number of charges on you battery and "health" you can download Shimanos E-tube app on your phone and connect thru bluetooth

4. I read that charger can get really warm, any problems with charging or charger itself besides that? How long it takes to full charge?
I have not experienced this. I have the 900 battery and think it takes like 5-6 hours, Canyon have a 6 amp charger as well and I think its supposed to take like 4 hours for a 900 battery but with such a big battery atleast I dont need 2 charges per day ;)

5. How would you rate the frame? Is it feel robust? Do you have any concers when riding steep walls or rocky gardens? Or you feel confident that frame with handle every trails/downhills you ride?
My bike have Fox dampers and the front have Grip 2 damper that I had my settings from my other bikes, but the rear shock was new to me and to some time to tune after that I think it's a great do it all bike til next year I will put in a different airshaft in the fork so I get 160 or 170mm travel

6. I see there is a canyon 'standard' for water cage.. (hate that things) but is that canyon watre cage compatibile with non cnayon water bootles? ;D
I have used other bottles than Canyons own bottles but I have so far only used 0.5 liter bottles I think

7. Overall user experience and would you buy it again? Ew. what do you like about it and what not.
I think I would buy this one again it's a great trailbike but I think it really depends on what type of riding you are doing, if you are more into hardcore enduro/downhill there are better options. The other question is what battery to choose I almost regret taking the 900 battery it's tooo much range ;)

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I think I would buy this one again it's a great trailbike but I think it really depends on what type of riding you are doing, if you are more into hardcore enduro/downhill there are better options. The other question is what battery to choose I almost regret taking the 900 battery it's tooo much range ;)
Tusen takk Highway ;)
I ride mostly trails, local hills and some single tracks nothing hardcore. Highest hill in my neighborhood is 1100m. I will definitely go with smaller 720 battery.
I guess as you live in Norway you ride/rode your emtbs during winter time? Is it noticeable that battery do not last as long as it do in summer time?
One more question, did your spectral: on comes with tubeless sealant in tires? Or it comes with tubes?

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
I think Spectral will be perfect for you because it's a great pedaling bike so it's great on the trails.

I have not noticed any big changes on range on my Spectral but I use a Canyon Neuron:eek:n all year around and when it's below 0 I get around 20% less range.

My tires where setup with tubes but tires and rims where ready with tape and so on

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I think Spectral will be perfect for you because it's a great pedaling bike so it's great on the trails.

I have not noticed any big changes on range on my Spectral but I use a Canyon Neuron:eek:n all year around and when it's below 0 I get around 20% less range.

My tires where setup with tubes but tires and rims where ready with tape and so on
Thanks a lot for all information!

Got in contact with Canyon customer service and they answered quickly. I should just disregard the extra screws and use as spare parts. Dropper post cable came out after some mild force.

My CF7 is put together now and I had a short ride. First impression: what a bike!! Plush ride but still playful. And a very quiet motor! Compared to my wife's Focus Aventura with Bosch gen 4 motor, the Canyon is shifting much more smooth and the motor is definitely more quiet.

View attachment 93984
Hi TKB! Could show some more photos of your spectral on? I'm considering to get spectral in this "infinit red" colorway too.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Hi drocho! You wont be disappointed with the infinit red color :). Have no other pictures right now but can say that the black or white version are booring (according to me).

Bike is still a killer. However, I have one minor issue, there is some rattling from the cables going throu the head tube, when pedaling rough terrain. Will try to re-align the cables. Any other got rattling from the heat tube? And no, the head tube itself is not loose, it's thight and snug.

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
Hi drocho! You wont be disappointed with the infinit red color :). Have no other pictures right now but can say that the black or white version are booring (according to me).
Yes but I preffer gloss finish and from what I see here on the pictures the stealth and infinit red are matt colorways. Only boundless grey (white) looks like it's gloss finish.

Hi, I bought month ago Canyon Spectral on 7 in white...

View attachment 92552
Hi Edge, any chance for more pictures of your bike, as you are here the only one who has spectral on in boundless grey? ;)

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
I am so stuck between the spectral and the torque as I love to throw my bike around and ride jumps.
I do fear the 500 wh battery but I rarelly ride more than 2 hours as I get tired hehe

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
Same on mine. Not an issue.
Canyon changed the kinematic a bit, so the 22 model has 155mm travel with a 230x60 shock.
21 model had „only“ 150mm

Both can handle strock up to 65mm wirhout any issue.

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I am so stuck between the spectral and the torque as I love to throw my bike around and ride jumps.
I do fear the 500 wh battery but I rarelly ride more than 2 hours as I get tired hehe
reading or watchig yt reviews the most common disadvantages about torque: on are low bb, steep seat angle and small battery. If you spend most of your time jumping in bike parks where is no lift or anything then I think it could be good option, but the battery could be limiting. If you ride in bikeparks where are lifts or something that can drive you up then I think I would go with classy non e torque. It is a very specific bike, Spectral in current form looks much more universal.

LPay

Nov 28, 2022
Dolomites Italy
Change the stroke from 60 to 65mm, added offset bushings and a 180mm Zeb
I would be really interested to hear how the geo changed and how it feels? do you have new figures ?
The 180 zeb would slaken the headtube and raise the BB thats prob a good thing?
what did you do with the shock ? did you keep it 155?

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
I would be really interested to hear how the geo changed and how it feels? do you have new figures ?
The 180 zeb would slaken the headtube and raise the BB thats prob a good thing?
what did you do with the shock ? did you keep it 155?

I checked not all figures (yet), only head angel, which is now 64 degree.
I guess, BB is a bit higher.

It feels much better, I have less ground contact.
I was fearing a bit, about climbing, but also this is perfect.

Only thing, the front is a bit heavier then the back, so jumping needs to be done more "active".

What do you mean with "what did you do with the shock ? did you keep it 155?"
I change to 65mm stroke, which gives me around 14mm more travel.

BTW: here you can find the pictures: Zeb 2023 180mm in a Spectral 2021

LPay

Nov 28, 2022
Dolomites Italy
I dont know much about the geometry appart from a couple of you tubes vids and 15 minites reading here and there . Ive though about picking up one of the spectrals but always though it was a little to much trail and have thought about changeing a few parts out like you have. Picture look nice btw so do those 2023 zebs. Ive seen allot of people changing forks out for slack head angles but not so many adding longer shocks looks like it could mess up the geo allot just wondered how you did this with bushings etc

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
There is written so much stuff, which is just not true, that's the issue.

Read, try, test, decided. You need to do it by yourself.
non fidarsi di qualcosa che non si è provato da soli

Spectral is a perfect Trail bike, but also a good Enduro. And mine is now for me a perfect Enduro.

HaroutK

Dec 15, 2022
France
Hi Everyone,

I plan to buy a Spectral:ON CF8.
The first upgrade I would do due to my riding skills and type is mounting 220mm brake rotors...
Shimano's system implicates a sensor on the rear triangle (left lower arm) and I guess a magnet on rotating parts...
But on CF8, Hayes rotors haven't any magnet...

It's hard to figure out how it's done on the bike...
Could you please post some detailled pictures of the sensor and the rear disk with it magnet please?

Thanks in advance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles