New Spectral:ON 2022

HaroutK

Dec 15, 2022
France
Let's talk about upgrade :
Have any of you who own the Spectral:ON CF7/8/9 2022 improved it?
If so, why? In what way? Is the expected improvement noticeable?

I read that on 2020/2021 version, rear shock absorber can be replaced by a 230x65 instead of 230x60...
Do you think this is also feasible on 2022 version? Did any of you try to do so ?

As I wrote 2 or 3 posts before, I'm considering to change for 220mm rotor disks for both front and rear..
Did any of you make this same modification ?

Thanks

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I just got the bike, overall everything looks ok, there are some stuff that bothers me, especially headset integration and chain rubbing through protector on gears from 1st to 4th.. I know that bike will be mostly riding on gears from 6th to 12th but still.. I was convinced that it is not touching the protector at all.
p2.JPG

Its weird that someone in canyon let that happen, chain will take all the dirt & mud from that protector and also it will destroys it after some time, new one cost 40eur+shipping.

This is interesting, canyon manual shows to tighten pre load headset bolt at min 2Nm which is very tight and at that torque handlebars don't move freely from what Ive learned. Maybe it is recommended because of the acros headset?
IMG-2581.JPG

Did anyone disassemble upper headset? I wonder is there inside some standard bearing or some specific s### that is hardly available..
There is exploded view manual, but there is no information about bearing specifications.. I will soner or later check that but maybe anyone of you do this?
p4.png

some paint chips around axel thread, normal stuff in cheaper brands but canyon, come on guys.
p3.png

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I just got the bike, overall everything looks ok, there are some stuff that bothers me, especially headset integration and chain rubbing through protector on gears from 1st to 4th.. I know that bike will be mostly riding on gears from 6th to 12th but still.. I was convinced that it is not touching the protector at all.
View attachment 103296
Its weird that someone in canyon let that happen, chain will take all the dirt & mud from that protector and also it will destroys it after some time, new one cost 40eur+shipping.

This is interesting, canyon manual shows to tighten pre load headset bolt at min 2Nm which is very tight and at that torque handlebars don't move freely from what Ive learned. Maybe it is recommended because of the acros headset?
View attachment 103298
Did anyone disassemble upper headset? I wonder is there inside some standard bearing or some specific s### that is hardly available..
There is exploded view manual, but there is no information about bearing specifications.. I will soner or later check that but maybe anyone of you do this?
View attachment 103299

some paint chips around axel thread, normal stuff in cheaper brands but canyon, come on guys.
View attachment 103297

I would call Canyon right away. that sort of thing is not acceptable on new bikes

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I would call Canyon right away. that sort of thing is not acceptable on new bikes
Canyon statement with that 'chain rubbing chainstay protector' is, this is totally normal stuff, its by design. And from what I've read some comments of the spectral users they say its not a big deal but I think this may have some imptac for chain longevity but I may be exaggerating that. Tbh the bigger concern is how long will last ep8 motor or that acros headset ;)
I still have time to eventually return that bike but its hard to find something comparable at this price point.

Giustizio

Mar 16, 2021
Italy
Let's talk about upgrade :
Have any of you who own the Spectral:ON CF7/8/9 2022 improved it?
If so, why? In what way? Is the expected improvement noticeable?

I read that on 2020/2021 version, rear shock absorber can be replaced by a 230x65 instead of 230x60...
Do you think this is also feasible on 2022 version? Did any of you try to do so ?

As I wrote 2 or 3 posts before, I'm considering to change for 220mm rotor disks for both front and rear..
Did any of you make this same modification ?

Thanks
Any news?

HaroutK

Dec 15, 2022
France
Hi Giustitzio

I've not and will not test personnally the rear shock switching... But I'll still be investigating...

But about 220mm disks brake, I'll do the modification in coming days/weeks as I ordered the parts few days ago.
I'll give the feedback but without comparaison with 203mm disks as I've not ride in rough tracks yet but only easy rides.

BR

luigi3883

Jan 14, 2023
porto, Portugal
Little harsh. Some of us quite like the Shimano motor.
I have a Rail with the Bosch and a Focus and Canyon, both with the old E8000 (the Focus and Canyon combined, which I bought in 2018 and 2019, cost less than I paid for my Rail 7 last autumn. Those were the days). I far prefer the feeling that my legs are stronger than they really are that I get from the Shimano motors rather than the "Oh, I've got a motor doing all the work" that I get with the mighty Bosch. And you've always got the magic of Stunlocker with Shimano.

I don't understand what you mean by your second point.
hello, im looking at stun locker for my new E8, have you used it?

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
Did anyone know why Rob never did a review video on the one? I thought when he released the overview video that a review was coming.
That's what I was thinking too.. Maybe they (canyon and ROb) didn't get along in terms of how long he got bike or money side..

Meanwhile Sam Piligrim joins canyon team and he is stress testing spectral:eek:n ;)

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
Anyone know if the Canyon Spectral ON CF8 comes with the older shimano EP800 or the newer EP801?

This just in from Canyon customer service:

"The model of the motor is the 800. Thanks!
All the best,
Fernando
Service Center | Canyon Bicycles USA Inc.
Canyon Bicycles USA, Inc.
www.canyon.com"

I wonder why they are still using the old motor?

Last edited:

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
I think canyon got some bigger batch of 800 motors so they need to sell bikes with that motor first to put newer. But is new 801 motor much better to wait? There is no information about internal differences (sealing, gears, etc) between 800 and new 801. Knut first impressions is that the motor is more silent which can suggest significant changes but this can be objective or it could change over time.

Last edited:

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
Why not? The only advantage would be the new power button, which they don't use in general, because they have their own on their own battery.

"Why not?" - Because the new motor is refined and reported to be quieter w/o the annoying clunk and also have higher cadence power.

According to Shimano.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Does anybody on here actually on this bike? Reading reviews it's pretty controversial. Lots of people are negging it for conservative geometry, but it is what it is, a trail bike. The bike radar review gives it 3 out of 5 stars and says that it's harsh even when set up plush. That just doesn't make much sense to me. I get that a stiff frame and wheels can affect the way it feels. But I would think it's more in the way that it holds a line in rough terrain and the way it goes in and out of corners. Feeling stiff over chatter has to do with spring weight and compression, right?

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
Does anybody on here actually on this bike? Reading reviews it's pretty controversial. Lots of people are negging it for conservative geometry, but it is what it is, a trail bike. The bike radar review gives it 3 out of 5 stars and says that it's harsh even when set up plush. That just doesn't make much sense to me. I get that a stiff frame and wheels can affect the way it feels. But I would think it's more in the way that it holds a line in rough terrain and the way it goes in and out of corners. Feeling stiff over chatter has to do with spring weight and compression, right?
I have had a cf9 for 6 months - absolutely love the bike and its night and day from my 7 year old enduro. Best bike I have owned ever and so capable. I had a 170mm Lyric on the old bike and much prefer the 150 fox 36. Bike is really poppy and rails

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
I have had a cf9 for 6 months - absolutely love the bike and its night and day from my 7 year old enduro. Best bike I have owned ever and so capable. I had a 170mm Lyric on the old bike and much prefer the 150 fox 36. Bike is really poppy and rails
Good to hear - I just ordered one! How tall are you, what size did you get, and how is the fit? I'm 5'10+ and ordered a Medium and have been sweating whether I should have ordered a Large.

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
Good to hear - I just ordered one! How tall are you, what size did you get, and how is the fit? I'm 5'10+ and ordered a Medium and have been sweating whether I should have ordered a Large.
I am 182cm so similar height and had the same sweats - ordered a medium, it's the right size for sure. You will love it. Does it come with the 900 as standard now? - when I bought could only get the 720 which I can easily do in 3hrs and 1200m but then to be honest am fecked by then

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
I am 182cm so similar height and had the same sweats - ordered a medium, it's the right size for sure. You will love it. Does it come with the 900 as standard now? - when I bought could only get the 720 which I can easily do in 3hrs and 1200m but then to be honest am fecked by then
Thank you for your reply! That makes me feel better - it is so hard buying bike w/o the opportunity to throw a leg over it first. I ordered the CF8 and it comes with the 900 w/h battery. The CF7 comes with the 720 w/h battery.

Jdz

Jan 2, 2022
LHC
So tempting with the sale prices, had one in the cart for a couple days keep talking myself off the ledge.

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
anyone here moved the travel to 160 or 170mm - pretty happy with it at 160mm as its great down the steep stuff as it is so wondering what feedback you all have with more travel

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
has anyone here changed the travel on the fork or changed to a fork with more travel yet?
interested in this, happy with the performance of the 150mm and the Geo so don't know whether to mess with increasing the travel, did you change yours? thanks, John

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
p2.JPG

Its weird that someone in canyon let that happen, chain will take all the dirt & mud from
Exact same for me, I'm thinking about taking it off and fitting a lower profile one

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Nice, let us know when you get it and assembled and how it all goes.
It arrived today, assembly was easy, everything was there. Came with various tools including a shock pump.

The rear brake needs to be bled as it is pulling all the way to the bar and the front brake rotors are rubbing against the disk but I'm not worried about that cos it is rubbing evenly and is spinning ok so once the pads wear down a bit it will be fine.

I can't see any cracks or paint chips.

It's just finished charging and it's all set up so I'm going to give a short ride tomorrow and take some pictures and begin the suspension set up

Reactions: Jdz

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles