New Spectral:ON 2022

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Another review :)

Good review where they praise the agility, handling and the battery capacity of the bike!

Downs where the high speed stability (they request better suspension than the entry Fox 36 fork on the CF8 for that (CF7 has the entry Lyrik fork)) and the ground clearance. How low is the ground clearance and how does it compare to other bikes like the Levo? I can't find that info online.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Good review where they praise the agility, handling and the battery capacity of the bike!

Downs where the high speed stability (they request better suspension than the base Fox 36 for that) and the ground clearance. How low is the ground clearance and how does it compare to other bikes like the Levo? I can't find that info online.

Ebike-MTB reviewers seem to be pretty much enduro or DH riders, who want very much downhill capable bikes. To me it seems that Spectral has fairly steep head tube angle, short chainstays and thus fairly short wheelbase for a modern bike. IMHO the bike feels like a very capable trail bike, which it really is.

BB drop is listed at 36 mm, which is 3 mm more than my older Spectral. Also the wheelbase is longer. When I tested the bike, I got a couple more pedal strikes than with my own bike a day earlier on same trails. Upping the fork travel to 160 mm should help some.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Ebike-MTB reviewers seem to be pretty much enduro or DH riders, who want very much downhill capable bikes. To me it seems that Spectral has fairly steep head tube angle, short chainstays and thus fairly short wheelbase for a modern bike. IMHO the bike feels like a very capable trail bike, which it really is.

BB drop is listed at 36 mm, which is 3 mm more than my older Spectral. Also the wheelbase is longer. When I tested the bike, I got a couple more pedal strikes than with my own bike a day earlier on same trails. Upping the fork travel to 160 mm should help some.
Yeah, I agree, the Spectral is first and foremost a trail bike (with enduro capabilities). Being experienced helps, as they mention, so one can time the pedal strikes. Yes, 160mm up front and/or shorter crank arms should alleviate the issue. I'm very much eager to try it but will probable not change anything the first season.

Last edited:

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
I will get the new Spectral next week and change to 160mm up front is possibly the first change, will use the bike as a trial bike mainly so maybe 150mm is perfect :). really looking forward to try the bike out

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Next week already! I've to wait until end July for my CF7.

Looking forward to a ride report from you! Which version and battery did you order?

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
And I’m waiting on the idiots from DHL, should have delivered on Friday but the driver took a early weekend ☹️

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
And I’m waiting on the idiots from DHL, should have delivered on Friday but the driver took a early weekend ☹
Hope you got it by now. Am eagerly awaiting your first ride report!

Can you also check if the chain is or isn't rubbing against the chain protector? If yes, which gears are affected, the smallest cogs I assume?

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
Yes today I got the bike and have put it together and took a short ride to tune it in and so far its really good but I think I need to spend some time to tune the suspension, will check my Decoy how my fork is setup :)

The chain is close to the chain protector and I will keep an eye at that on the coming rides this week,, sorry I have the saddle in the low position.
I will do some longer rides this weekend so I will have a better view on the bike by then :)
spectral22.png

• Agree
Reactions: TKB

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Hmm, this comment written by Ro Jas, found under the Send it Frankie video is a bit worrying!
Screenshot_20220629-180508_YouTube.jpg

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
Ohh not much happening in this thread :), now I been doing some more riding and I really like the bike and that insane 900Wh battery is really insane today I rode 43km and almost 1000 elevated meter and got home with 55% left..

Today I thought the rear end exploded but I have just been lazy and not removed the newbie disc behind the cassette :)
spectral.png

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Good to hear, Highway! How much of that ride was in Boost mode?

So no issues with anything on the bike? Fittings or the chain rubbing?

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
Today I went for a gravel ride because I had a little crash on Thursday so my knee is a bit sore, todays ride was 66 km 1100 elevated meters probably 90% gravel 10% single track mostly in eco and trail and max 5% boost and got home with 43% left on the battery,,, I need to buy the smaller battery hehe never thought I ever say that :)
spectral.jpg

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Nice on Highway / I’ve ordered the 730 but tempted to change to 900 (wasn’t in stock when ordered) if I’m honest. Can’t decide, havnt dispatched it yet so I’ve chance to change.

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
Nice on Highway / I’ve ordered the 730 but tempted to change to 900 (wasn’t in stock when ordered) if I’m honest. Can’t decide, havnt dispatched it yet so I’ve chance to change.
Im probably around 100kg with all gear on if that help you decide, I normally ride a lot of technical trail and spend most time in trail mode on that type of riding.

But I can absolutely live with an extra kilo to never run out of power 👍

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I'm only 75kg but choose the 900Wh battery because of these reasons.
- live in a very mountainous region and need to climb a lot
- want to minimize range anxiety
- a Li-ion battery degrades quicker if charged to 100% every time, having the large battery means I only need to charge to 80-90%, great for longevity

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
730 it is for me. Spoke to Canyon and they said I’d have to cancel and re order. Thus loosing my order date. I’m happy though as they said once stock levels are sound they will be selling the 900 separate. So if I need one, I’ll get one. Happy Days.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Got a delay email from Canyon yesterday on my CF7 900Wh 😑. Now estimated delivery is mid August, let's see if that holds true or not. Wonder what part is missing.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
TKB - unlucky - when did you order it ? What was your original delivery date ?
cheers
I ordered it the same day Canyon released the CF SpectralON bikes, in end of May! Original delivery time was end of July so not a huge delay, yet...

Edge

Jul 17, 2022
Slovakia
Hi, I bought month ago Canyon Spectral on 7 in white. First impressions: Excellent bike, very agile, fantastic look. I have 900 battery, but with my weight 100kg (without bike) I can ride around 70 - 75km on trail mode with elevation around 1,3 km so for heavier biker I definitely recommend stronger battery. Except front disk breaks re-setup (noise from them) everything was fine tuned from production. There is nothing that I would immediately change, except grips. Also front lyriks are not perfect and at some point they started to make some strange noise, but they stopped after last ride.

I would definitely bought it again, value for money is incredible. Lets hope that I will not need to send it back for service to canyon, as this can be quite frustrating. I rode 400km on it as of today.

I have one question, how you can see % of remaining battery ? I can see just 5 bars, but maybe you have more advanced display.

thanks

canyon.jpg

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Edge, thanks for a good review! I'm still waiting for my CF7.

I think you can see the battery % in the shimano app, but others who already have the bike need to confirm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles