New Shimano FW update E8000 - 4.9.0, E7000/E6100 - 4.6.0, E5000 - 4.4.2

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yes I know. Do you know why?
Because of speed calibration by a manufacture (safety reason). You can change this calibration on your bike by altering the circumference. But, I bet you can't do this with your car :)

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Not exactly by safety reasons. The law (for example the following directive regarding speedometers EUR-Lex - 32000L0007 - EN - EUR-Lex) requires that speedometers don't indicate speeds lower than the actual. Due to this enforcement cars manufacturers calibrate their speedometers to have a tolerance about +/-10% which is an average error a speedometer can be affected by tire diameter caused by wear, temperature, pressure, load, etc. I didn't expect that the same rules apply to bikes with preinstalled speedometers. I'm not sure if they are a truly certified speedometers but if so then they must comply. Finally it means that I should be happy that there's only the 5% diff :)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
5% is a huge difference and gps is not that inaccurate. I have observed different measurements against gps and the difference was never that big. I'm pretty sure that if I mounted a simple odometer using a sensor on a wheel spoke it wouldn't show the same distance as the steps computer. In my case.

And it's not only about distance. Actual speed is also different.
for one thing, you'll always get a delay via gps speed readings; you're always seeing your speed from just back there :LOL:. You're putting absolute faith in various different things - the world doesn't work like that. Personally I've experienced insane information via gps.

If you mount a simple odometer using a sensor on a wheel spoke, you still need to enter the wheel circumference into that simple odometer. If you have the same circumference entered in the odometer and whatever app you're using, then my guess is that you will get the same results. All they do is calculate number of revolutions x wheel circumference for distance. It seems that you're ignoring physics to blame something that you have your sights on. There are limitations to gps as there are to an odometer measuring distance - one will generally read slightly greater, the other will generally read slightly less. How much accuracy do you need? The shimano setup shits me that you can't change wheel diameter which is essential for reasonable accuracy of speed and distance. The + or - 5% thing doesn't actually change the recorded speed or distance; the motor will still cutout exactly where it always cut out, distance will be recorded exactly as it has always been recorded. The + or - 5% in the basic shimano setup only effects the display readout; I've tested this. This is one reason why we might want a 3rd party app - to do something that we should be able to do normally.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
New firmware in EP8 1.9.2021

"Ver. 4.1.6 - Optimized the process when turning off the power."

What is this "process"?
Like g00gIe and ms and apple, they only ever tell you what is beneficial about this update to you; they don't tell how much of the update is for them (control, limititions, data / information gathering). I believe that many updates, in the world of computers and phones, are for the company; they have to add some benefit to us so that they can get us to install it. It's the same with apps - all those business related phone apps are for the business to collect data / information, but how do they get us to install them? There's usually some type of reward, discount, incentive etc.

Re computers and phones; once I set things up, I generally disable updates. I have never suffered any negative consequences doing this for over 20 years. "They" do like to peddle fear to make you do what they want when all else fails, in the name of security.

Generally you'll know if you need an update or a fix, won't you? Like if your finger is bleeding, you need to put a bandaid on it.

For example, I have an e8000; if I read about the above update, I'd ask myself "do I have any trouble turning off my ebike?" :LOL:. Updates should also be applied with caution - an incomplete update can be disastrous. Because these are done "over the air", that increases the potential for things to go wrong. Again, I would say, only update if you need to.

Last edited:

alekseypav

Feb 22, 2021
Москва РФ.
Hello, I have such a question, I bought a flashlight specifically for an ebike, but in firmware 4.9 it was no longer possible to turn on the flashlight through the display. The flashlight turns on only in this way. How is this possible? Are Shimano's assholes?

Last edited:

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
I upgraded last weekend, had no issues with my motor until upgrade, first down hill I hit e020 followed by e010 then w020, then it bricked. My motor is 5months old never been anything but factory settings, now in shop, telling me it’s a possible engine replacement job.

alekseypav

Feb 22, 2021
Москва РФ.
I upgraded last weekend, had no issues with my motor until upgrade, first down hill I hit e020 followed by e010 then w020, then it bricked. My motor is 5months old never been anything but factory settings, now in shop, telling me it’s a possible engine replacement job.
E020 – Communication error detected between battery and drive unit

JoseBQ

Dec 20, 2021
ES
Hello, I have such a question, I bought a flashlight specifically for an ebike, but in firmware 4.9 it was no longer possible to turn on the flashlight through the display. The flashlight turns on only in this way. How is this possible? Are Shimano's assholes?
Same problem, it's possible to activate the light from the display?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
If I have the PCE02 hardware, can I adjust the market settings and circumference without needing downgrade the firmware or buy a licence for the ST unlocked app an an E7000?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
If I have the PCE02 hardware, can I adjust the market settings and circumference without needing downgrade the firmware or buy a licence for the ST unlocked app an an E7000?
If you want to use STUnlocker - you'll need the Premium licence. You can change settings via PCE02 without the downgrading

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
I have a question

l purchased Stunlocker and used it to change the wheel circumference but it's still 5% out.

The bike went back to the shop because of battery issues and they've upgraded the firmware to 4.9

The Stunlocker settings l previously entered are still working and l can still get into the "wheel size" setting on Stunlocker. What will happen if l change the wheel
size by 10cm and press "save settings" will it work?
l don't want to do it, if it will lose the settings l already entered

But l worked out that if l reduce the wheel circumference by a further 10cm then the bike speedometer will perfectly match my GPS

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
I was looking at the distance, Strava will say l've done (say) 20 miles and the bike will say 21.2

So l assume the bike is also over reading my speed.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Hi Vadll, I'm trying to change the settings on an E7000, f/w 4.7.4, using ST unlocker on windows. It can read the bike values fine, but when I go to 'update settings' is comes up with a popup box saying 'connection issues'.

I've tried it with 2 computers now, both do the same. ETube can change the settings ok (such as power modes etc). Any ideas?

P.S. I've got a license for the motor.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Update: I've downgraded the firmware using windows to 4.4.0. 4.5.0 only seems to install an uninstaller .exe?

I can now use the app to change the settings but still get the same error with the windows app.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
PM sent..
After years of avoiding an update- the first time someone else gets hold of my bike, they f*ck me with an update...I should know better..! 😥

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was looking at the distance, Strava will say l've done (say) 20 miles and the bike will say 21.2

So l assume the bike is also over reading my speed.
I don't think gps can account for ups and downs - the satellites are in low orbit of the earth. If strava uses gps then it should read something a bit shorter than actual ground covered. 1.2 miles does seem to be too much of a discrepency over an approx. 20 mile ride, although it wouldn't be where I ride.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Once you re install the earlier software and alter the settings they will remain if you update the software again.

So, if you set the country to USA (20mph limit) and alter the wheel circumference, and then update the software, the 20mph limit and wheel setting will remain, although you won't be able to change them any more.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Once you re install the earlier software and alter the settings they will remain if you update the software again.

So, if you set the country to USA (20mph limit) and alter the wheel circumference, and then update the software, the 20mph limit and wheel setting will remain, although you won't be able to change them any more.
Presumably, this doesnt restrict modifying the motor settings as well does it..?
With E-Tube, a;tering the assistance within a range was always possible IIRC- hence my dumb question. Forgive me, I havent yet had the chance to see what else has been "hobbled? in the app because of the update...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
No, you can still change the assist settings in the Stunlocker app, you just can't alter the maximum speed or wheel size once the firmware is updated.

But it retains and settings you changed before you updated it.

To be honest once you've downgraded the software and used Stunlocker l wouldn't bother upgrading the software again, l did but there was no difference at all that l could notice.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
The only difference I noticed was that they've changed the reported battery wear, as reported by either st unlocker or estimated range on the display with a freshly charged battery. Mine went from 79% wear to 90%. :unsure:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Is there a way to install previous iOS eTube app on a new iPhone?
I understand one cannot install old ver over the new one, but what if it’s ‘virgin’ / untouched phone?

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Is there a way to install previous iOS eTube app on a new iPhone?
I understand one cannot install old ver over the new one, but what if it’s ‘virgin’ / untouched phone?
Not sure if this answers your Q but I just tried to open the app on my older phone which previously ran an old version (5.0.2 or earlier?)- it immediately downloaded an update over the old version of e-tube for the newest v5.0.4
Shimano have no interest in supporting anything that they havent retrospectively been back across to block the what they clearly see as loopholes. Its about protecting their intellectual property...
What a PITA Shimano...
It looks like an in depth process to rewind the update. You've really got to want it in IMO.
It took the guy 5 minutes in the store- and he charged me 30euros for the pleasure. He sold me a cable that was too short. Didnt have the controller I needed in stock anyway ( there was no need to plug the bike in atall. He could tell after testing the controller alone that it was bricked already) And all this after I expressly said I avoided updates as they would brick my app...

My question is whether it wouldnt be easier to use the e-tube project on a windows platform and PCE interface, and wind back the update that way...? Of course, that presumes access to said Windows platform and PCE...LBS or such I suppose...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles