New Shimano FW update E8000 - 4.9.0, E7000/E6100 - 4.6.0, E5000 - 4.4.2

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yesterday Shimano releases new updates for E8000/E7000/E6100. It looks like something was changed related to derestriction.

Well, as usual: don't update FW until you are sure that it is compatible with the features you need.

Last edited:

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
Any news on this? I accidentally updated and now can't change any settings in the app. Doh!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Anyone notice any functional changes with the 4.9.0 firmware on the E8000 drive unit?

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Updated to 4.9.0

no functional changes
No change in motor noise or torque

However, if you use Stunlocker to try and change the market, it won’t let you change it. I’m assuming Vadll is working on a fix for this. The guy in the bike shop tells me it’s to stop people derestricting the bike and bricking motors

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
Interestingly, I was on 4.8.0 and used Sunlocker to detune my torque across the board. I unload my bike at the trailhead, go to turn it on, and the display pops up then immediately goes off. The bike worked fine earlier in the day, and I hadn't messed with Stunlocker for a few weeks. I drop the motor to check the small pins (Norco Sight VLT doesn't have easy access to them like some bikes), clean them, nothing still. A day later it decided to turn on, so I quickly upgraded it to 4.9.0 and reset my assist settings using Stunlocker (E-tube throwing an error when trying to do it prior to resetting to default)
Anyone have an idea what gives? Should I be not trusting my motor or Stunlocker?
I really wish Shimano would give us assist % and torque assist settings in E-Tube. I'm assuming only the EP8 has it.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Anyone have an idea what gives? Should I be not trusting my motor or Stunlocker?

If you want Shimano features, run their latest FW and use their tools. If you want more flexibility and different features, use another application to manage your motor and run their recommended FW. I've seen two different aftermarket programs run on various bikes and each has worked great for many, many, many rides.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
If you want Shimano features, run their latest FW and use their tools. If you want more flexibility and different features, use another application to manage your motor and run their recommended FW. I've seen two different aftermarket programs run on various bikes and each has worked great for many, many, many rides.
That’s the thing, I was running the recommended firmware (4.8.0) and had no issues many many rides until I did. I just have no idea what could have caused my issue. No threads on it, and a complete tear down everything was fine. I’m stuck waiting until January for my SM-PCE02 so I’m attempting to figure out what happened in the meantime to be able to trust my ebike in the winter months when it will see peak use.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Updated to 4.9.0

no functional changes

However, if you use Stunlocker to try and change the market, it won’t let you change it. I’m assuming Vadll is working on a fix for this. The guy in the bike shop tells me it’s to stop people derestricting the bike and bricking motors
Oh, of course, they're worried about people bricking their motors :ROFLMAO: Reading the reviews for the e tube app on download.com, it seems that shimano has the monopoly for bricking motors with their software.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Any progress on Stunlocker compatibility with 4.9?
4.9.x (E8000), 4.6.x (E7000/E6100), 4.4.x (E5000). 4.1.x (EP8) was relased by Shimano to avoid mass derestriction via Bluetooth. About what progress are you talking about?

p.s. It's strange that they did it just now and not a couple of years ago.

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
I upgraded to 4.9 on release ( newbie enthusiasm) but Id like to purchase Stunlocker and take advantage of its full features. But it seems that its not fully compatible with Shimano E8000 FW 4.9 yet?

Thanks

P

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I upgraded to 4.9 on release ( newbie enthusiasm) but Id like to purchase Stunlocker and take advantage of its full features. But it seems that its not fully compatible with Shimano E8000 FW 4.9 yet?

Thanks

P
Hmm... Did you read my prev post?
Anyway, you have to downgrade to 4.8.0 if you want to derestrict your ebike

dykov

May 25, 2020
Poland
I have made an update to the latest version of Shimano's software but my bike was already derestricted before by Stunlocker. So after an update the app doesn't work but the bike is still derestricted. Actually I have used Stunlocker just once on one purpose - to derestrict and I do not play with all other options. I go mostly off-road so I don't really care about regulations and I live with this - I didn't make a downgrade to the previous version.

MTBJay

Jul 20, 2020
UK
Hi I've updated to the new Shimano software, StUnlocker still connects but if I purchase the license can I still change the system to US area code? so I can gain extra speed

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi I've updated to the new Shimano software, StUnlocker still connects but if I purchase the license can I still change the system to US area code? so I can gain extra speed
You have to downgrade if you want to deresitrct

SightVLT

Nov 29, 2020
Melbourne
Updated to 4.9.0

no functional changes

I think mine has been bricked.
Is there anything I can do?

Loys

Jan 20, 2021
France
Hello,
I've got e7000 with 4.6 firmware. There is a way to downgrade to 4.5 without pc interface ?
Where are the files ?
Thanks

eito

Feb 25, 2021
California
I know the manual says 4.8.0 but wondering if anyone has tried updating the gearing settings with 4.9.0. My buddy has a Decoy that was DI2 but he has since swapped it out for mechanical shifting and every time he gets to 1 bar on the battery he loses pedal assist due to the ECU reserving battery for shifting. I want to use ST Unlocker to change his settings to mechanical. I would rather not downgrade and after hearing that 4.9.0 was purely for derestriction it seems like it should be fine for gearing but figured I’d reach out here first

Reactions: Ryn

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles