new lightweight ebike from transition - the relay

Ronen

Apr 6, 2022
Israel
You may want to wait with a lightweight bike
I read about an Israeli startup that manages to reduce the weight of the electric motor by 70 percent and increase the range of the battery twice
Interestingly, they have an agreement with the Bush company that plans to incorporate this technology into bicycles.
The following is a translation of the article from Hebrew to English:
IRP Systems from Ness Ziona announced today (Tuesday) that it has signed an agreement with the German company Bosch for the mass production of motor controllers that it has developed for electric vehicles. Alongside the products it develops and manufactures, Bush also offers manufacturing services for companies in the automotive industry. The collaboration with Bush will focus on the production of controllers for personal electric vehicles such as scooters, bicycles and small cars, which is the segment where IRP has the largest foothold today. The company's solutions have already been implemented in a number of commercial models and to meet the increase in demand it is now expanding its production capabilities through the agreement with Bosch.
Last year, she participated in the Renault-Nissan innovation lab in Tel Aviv. During this collaboration, its technology was tested in Renault's light electric vehicle. As part of a joint Proof of Concepts experiment, four electric motors and IRP control system were installed in the Twizy lightweight electric vehicle. The company reported that the size of the new engines is only about a third of the size of the original engines, and that they have achieved a doubling of the travel range between battery charges, and higher acceleration speed thanks to stronger torque of the engines.
The Bosch company announced that the test and automation - already in the planning stages. The knowledge will be implemented through the Bosch Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) unit located in Mondville, France, in collaboration with the local team of Bosch Technologies Israel.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I read about an Israeli startup that manages to reduce the weight of the electric motor by 70 percent and increase the range of the battery twice
Interestingly, they have an agreement with the Bush company that plans to incorporate this technology into bicycles.
IRP Systems from Ness Ziona announced today (Tuesday) that it has signed an agreement with the German company Bosch for the mass production of motor controllers that it has developed for electric vehicles. Alongside the products it develops and manufactures, Bush also offers manufacturing services for companies in the automotive industry. The collaboration with Bush will focus on the production of controllers for personal electric vehicles such as scooters, bicycles and small cars, which is the segment where IRP has the largest foothold today. The company's solutions have already been implemented in a number of commercial models and to meet the increase in demand it is now expanding its production capabilities through the agreement with Bosch.
Last year, she participated in the Renault-Nissan innovation lab in Tel Aviv. During this collaboration, its technology was tested in Renault's light electric vehicle. As part of a joint Proof of Concepts experiment, four electric motors and IRP control system were installed in the Twizy lightweight electric vehicle. The company reported that the size of the new engines is only about a third of the size of the original engines, and that they have achieved a doubling of the travel range between battery charges, and higher acceleration speed thanks to stronger torque of the engines.
The Bosch company announced that the test and automation - already in the planning stages. The knowledge will be implemented through the Bosch Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) unit located in Mondville, France, in collaboration with the local team of Bosch Technologies Israel.

Bosch won't want to be left behind in the hotting up 'light emtb' race. In 2023 the market will be awash with them (V1's), will be interesting to watch the shakeout and market winners. Then in 2024 the V2's with the bugs sorted will be worth buying.
popcorn.gif

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
Similar to the new Trek? And the mid/high spec specialized?
Trek with Select+ and XT is 9,5k
Transition with Fox Performance is 11k.
Pivot Shuttle SL with Fox Factory ist 10,5k.
Don’t really understand what‘s going on with Transition… crazy

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Looks awesome.... does faruza have enough runs on the board versus the rest ???
This is gen 2 for Fazua who started with the Evation system. They are a big player in eRoad bikes and smaller eMTB (eZesty etc). Made a light eMTB before Specialized Levo SL.

The 60 looks like a good idea. Fazua motors are light and very very quiet.

Gordon

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Fazua motors are light and very very quiet
Maybe quiet when under power, but apparently it still uses ratchets so you get that tick-tick-tick sound when backpedaling and a brief moment after you stop pedalling. More troubling is perhaps the 15 degree play (if it uses 24 points of engagement). I re-watched the old LaPierre eZesty review by Rob and I really hope the new Fazua is better in this regard.

Xinto

Jun 21, 2022
Finland
Trek with Select+ and XT is 9,5k
Transition with Fox Performance, GX and Code R is 11k.
Pivot Shuttle SL with Fox Factory ist 10,5k.
Don’t really understand what‘s going on with Transition… crazy
Where did you get that Transition price?
Can't seem to find any price info from web.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Maybe quiet when under power, but apparently it still uses ratchets so you get that tick-tick-tick sound when backpedaling and a brief moment after you stop pedalling. More troubling is perhaps the 15 degree play (if it uses 24 points of engagement). I re-watched the old LaPierre eZesty review by Rob and I really hope the new Fazua is better in this regard.
The are not as bad now, I actually counted quickly yesterday and it seems 48 ratchet points at least. Much better!

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I have an eZesty. And another Fazua powered bike.

The ratcheting is a non-event. It almost never happens in normal riding and you hardly notice it when it does. It does become an issue if you over tighten your cranks. When Rob mentioned it I had to get on my bike to check it was there as much as he said. It’s not in your face like the rattle motors. I upgraded my rear hub to a high engagement hub because of the 15 degree engagement (industry 9 hub). That sorted that and it rides like any other bike I have. Other than the i9 hub the bike is nearly silent to ride.

The new Ride 50 and 60 motors have a much higher engagement number so I doubt it’ll be an issue at all. I’m in the process of organising an upgrade of my eZesty to the ride 50 system. Not many brands make it easy to just order the parts through your local LBS and get the latest motor. I think only Fazua offer an upgrade path to current bike owners.

None the less I have really liked riding my eZesty. I’d love to see the Trek but other than the aesthetics, 29er vs 27.5 and the bigger battery (the biggest real issue of the Fazua Evation) I doubt there will be much if any performance or noise difference when on the trail. Power is about the same. Noise is about the same. Just battery life and wheels.

Gordon

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
There's quite a bit of information in the Fazua 60 FAQ here: FAZUA - FAQs

About the freewheel: Two freewheels are installed. In the FAZUA RIDE 60 DRIVE UNIT, a ratchet freewheel with 52 teeth is installed. The decoupling of the motor from the bottom bracket shaft itself takes place by means of a sprag clutch.

Efficiency: In general, the FAZUA RIDE 60 Drive System achieves an average efficiency of ~80%. Although, this efficiency depends slightly on the motor speed and hence pedaling cadence. Is 80% the norm for ebike motors?

Light output: 12V, 2A (24W). Pleased to see this.

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
Love the motor system and the Relay: capable trail/all mountain bike. These allrounder of bikes are getting less…

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Depends promising. But not for 2023.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
This year at the Sea Otter Classic in April, I recall seeing a bike with a removable motor & battery. I think it was the NOX, with a Fazua. What ever became of that concept? Was that the first gen Fazua?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
This year at the Sea Otter Classic in April, I recall seeing a bike with a removable motor & battery. I think it was the NOX, with a Fazua. What ever became of that concept? Was that the first gen Fazua?

I believe the first gen Fazua system was designed where you could remove the motor. With the new systems used by Transition, Pivot and now Ghost the motor is not removeable.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I believe the first gen Fazua system was designed where you could remove the motor. With the new systems used by Transition, Pivot and now Ghost the motor is not removeable.

Thanks, that makes sense... Crazy thing is, that was only 5 months ago they were debuting that bike... I can't wait to see what the next 6 months brings.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
Top of the list for next eeb. I'll be really interested to see the weight differences between the carbon and alloy, and if this does actually work as an analog bike when the battery is removed. I prefer alloy but have my doubts as my alloy Patrol park bike is 40lbs (DH casing rear, DD front, Flow EX3 rims, Zeb, Super Deluxe, Deore 11 Speed). Transition do claim the carbon Patrol is 2.8lbs lighter, so hoping the Relay is a similar story there. That type of weight savings is worth the extra $1K-1.5K, especially with Transition's lifetime warranty. I ride with guys at the local Transition shop (we all have Transitions now lol) and have heard good things about their warranty process in general.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles