new lightweight ebike from transition - the relay

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
it's not really a surprise ?
No, its not a surprise. My point is for folks looking at lightweight burly enduro bikes at 20KG+(like this one), is there any point to them versus full fat enduro emtb....

As an example, the full power 85Nm Bosch Orbea Wild is 20.8KG with Fox 38/X2 and 625Wh battery, 85Nm (although Exo+ tyres).

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
No, its not a surprise. My point is for folks looking at lightweight burly enduro bikes at 20KG+(like this one), is there any point to them versus full fat enduro emtb....

As an example, the full power 85Nm Bosch Orbea Wild is 20.8KG with Fox 38/X2 and 625Wh battery, 85Nm (although Exo+ tyres).
Agreed Orbea frame is light, non removable battery. But also carbon wheels, light cassette other light weight components if you want to compare apples with apples - just boils down to what's important. If they made the Orbea in a Mullet it would be more tempting for me. I do like being able to remove the battery if I want to although I'd be happy with a Trek EXE style option.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
so 19.8kg with pedals? and thats with exo+ tyres too? so 20kg ish with a doubledown or similar on the rear?

its quite heavy for a high end lightweight ebike build, probably similar cost to the new wild fs Mltd and not much lighter.

edit: although I guess you could probably reduce the weight of the transition further still if willing to spend a little more, whereas the orbea is probably as light as it gets without compromising its ability.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
I will add though, that the build I'd go for is likely to be around 20.5KG. I do wonder if these burly lightweight ebikes are verging on full fat weight but much lower punch and with smaller batteries...
Exactly... this is the reason why Orbea, the leader of the lightweight eMTB market, decided to develop the Enduro Version not based on the Rise concept but on the FF Wild.
Starting from that weight of 20,5 kg and adding 1,5 kg, you can have a full power eMTB with much more fun uphill.
Probably there are more interesting variables ( such as Geometry, Suspension Kinematics... ) to define the bike character and riding experience, than 1,5 kg of weight difference.
Is the XC and Trial bike category the only "happy place" for these Light eMTB,?
@Rob Rides EMTB what do you think?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The Orbea Wild is compelling for certain with that weight

Even though the weight difference isn't substantial, it seems the ride feel and stealthiness are world's apart from a mid-power.

My trails are essentially undulating but very rough and I can already haul *ss on them (on my current pedal bikes). I'm afraid that the FF Bosch, even in the low setting, would become quite boring as I just would not have to work hard enough. Also, subtlety (sound and looks), definitely matters in my locale.

I'd also imagine that one could get away with some lighter components on a mid power e-bike that you just couldn't on a FF, particularly in the drivetrain area.

That said, I agree that any mid-power needs to be as light as reasonably possible to highlight the differences between the midpower and the FF e-bikes.

The weight is pretty decent on the Relay, but it definitely gained 2#s due to the removable battery (completely useless option btw) and that's really a shame.

I am still eagerly awaiting the updated Levo SL to make my final bike buying decision. Well final, for this season!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Is the XC and Trial bike category the only "happy place" for these Light eMTB,?
@Rob Rides EMTB what do you think?
There's definitely only marginal gains once you start hitting 20Kg on a mid power bike. And some big downsides on certain things, like climbing.

Every bike is a personal choice. There will be many people that the Relay is the perfect ebike. For me and my riding I couldn't exclusively ride a 20Kg mid power ebike. I'd much rather a 23Kg full fat.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I am still eagerly awaiting the updated Levo SL to make my final bike buying decision. Well final, for this season!

I went for the fuel exe - and enduro'd it up a little. 2020 Fox 36 160mm ebike fork (so same weight as fox 38 - it was all I had lying around) , maxxis exo+ on the front, doubledown on the rear. Magura mt7 brakes - And a load of other detail changes to the rest of the spec using lighter components to make the bottom of the range 9.5 model lighter. It comes in at ~19.3kg with pedals, ~19kg without pedals.

It could go lighter still with carbon/lighter wheels, a normal fox 36 fork (or lyrik) , but that is starting to get into diminishing returns for me. It works pretty well as it is.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

To be honest, that's exactly where my thoughts were on that. Why would you give up the full fat motor and battery for what 1-2kg? Is there a huge saving on the transition or other Lightweights over similar spec Orbea?

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
To be honest, that's exactly where my thoughts were on that. Why would you give up the full fat motor and battery for what 1-2kg? Is there a huge saving on the transition or other Lightweights over similar spec Orbea?
The Orbea has a really light frame so any lightweight at the same spec is never going to be much if any more than 2 kg lighter with something like a Fazua.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
The Orbea has a really light frame so any lightweight at the same spec is never going to be much if any more than 2 kg lighter with something like a Fazua.
Which means the Orbea surely is the best of both worlds to me then and doesn't come at a crazy £££ premium either....

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
This seems pretty heavy, I'm sure my stock KSL was closer to 18kg out the box

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
This seems pretty heavy, I'm sure my stock KSL was closer to 18kg out the box
My S3 size KSL with Shimano Sain SPD pedals, tires front Butcher 2.4 T9 and rear Maxxis HDR Exo+ 2.5 weight 19.2 kg. It's still 4 kg lighter than my old FF Kenovo S3 with same pedals and tyres.

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
What is the hold up on the first ride impressions? lack of bikes being delivered to reviewers? Rob, have you not spent any time on the bike you weighed? Transition preventing folks from saying anything? Surely someone has ridden the dang thing?

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
I will add though, that the build I'd go for is likely to be around 20.5KG. I do wonder if these burly lightweight ebikes are verging on full fat weight but much lower punch and with smaller batteries...
Price of the Relay is the same as the high end Orbea Wild. 20,5kg vs 21kg…
And the best price spec ratio is the alloy PNW version of the Relay with 38/dhx2 Performance Elite. Almost don‘t want to know the weight of this buddy 😃

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
I've been looking for my next bike since October to replace my 2021 Orbea Rise. My XL Rise M10 has 170mm airshaft Fox 36, 162mm EXT Storia coil shock, 29r, 64.5mm Head Angle, 350mm BB (2 Offset bushes) With Alu wheels/ASS+DHR2 EXO+ weighs 18.9Kg, with carbon wheels+XTR+Dissector/DHR2, 18.1Kg, bigger brakes, but lighter pedals & saddle. Robust where it matters, weight saved where it doesn't. Basically a slightly less glamorous conversion of what Rob did to the Fuel exe recently to make that more 'enduro'.

It's awesome for trails AND can do bike parks. Having gone to all that setup effort, I can't find the 'next bike' to move on to - I was really hoping this Relay was it, but it costs 50% more, weighs more AND has a Fazua motor, which I've yet to try, but reviews suggest has less punch than the EP8 RS.

The surprise front runner (if I'm to move anywhere) for me is now the Orbea Wild - Good price, plays firmly in the full fat enduro space out of the box, and I hopefully can still lift it over a stile and not look like a weed.

In the meantime, I'll revel in what I've got.

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
I've been looking for my next bike since October to replace my 2021 Orbea Rise. My XL Rise M10 has 170mm airshaft Fox 36, 162mm EXT Storia coil shock, 29r, 64.5mm Head Angle, 350mm BB (2 Offset bushes) With Alu wheels/ASS+DHR2 EXO+ weighs 18.9Kg, with carbon wheels+XTR+Dissector/DHR2, 18.1Kg, bigger brakes, but lighter pedals & saddle. Robust where it matters, weight saved where it doesn't. Basically a slightly less glamorous conversion of what Rob did to the Fuel exe recently to make that more 'enduro'.

It's awesome for trails AND can do bike parks. Having gone to all that setup effort, I can't find the 'next bike' to move on to - I was really hoping this Relay was it, but it costs 50% more, weighs more AND has a Fazua motor, which I've yet to try, but reviews suggest has less punch than the EP8 RS.

The surprise front runner (if I'm to move anywhere) for me is now the Orbea Wild - Good price, plays firmly in the full fat enduro space out of the box, and I hopefully can still lift it over a stile and not look like a weed.

In the meantime, I'll revel in what I've got.
Almost the same here. I have a full customized Levo SL with Cascade Link, EXT Storia with 160mm Rear, Fox 36 160, Custom Wheels, drivetrain etc etc.
With the price rally I am just waiting for the next step of the motor systems: TQ will go up in NM, Fazua has to change the lever and display, Spesh will upgrade the motor as well… AND full fat bikes will get lighter.
Maybe 2 years and there will be something really interesting on the horizon.
Relay won‘t be my next bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles