Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
What mode were you on?
Rocket mode, pretty much only ride in that mode. On a more typical ride with about 1500’ vert I can get about 20-25 miles on full/rocket mode on a fully charged battery. This is with charging the flats and up hills, putting in non-assist bike effort just going faster and having way more fun. Here is my Fazua tune. I can get full power in any mode just need to pedal harder but again pretty much only ride in the full power mode and if the terrain allows I’m charging as fast as I can go. I’m still learning to utilize/manage the power in slower tech; I need to play around with lower power settings in these areas.

IMG_4791.png

Last edited:

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
4,400 ft of elevation on rocket mode is pretty darn impressive! I had to be on eco mode (40/100) to even reach 4,000ft. Thanks for the info!

Jcobb78

Oct 14, 2023
Hope Mills, NC
My bike had a few quirks but outside of that, it has been a blast to ride.
1. The motor was creaky. To solve, I sprayed silicon lube in to the bolt thread housings. Easy fix
2. The ring controller original sucked and was not operating reliably. Bought a new one from Transition and all is well.

IMG_4872.jpeg IMG_4871.jpeg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Couple of other notes:

1) So it has been record breaking heat here in Central Texas. 107' is common, with the heat index it's about 115' Fahrenheit. The trails here are also very chunky, especially the ones I ride. They are also steep but not for long. As much as the heat kills me, I've been riding anyways. My Relay has had a shutdown problem and it generally happens after very steep climbs about 1x per ride. It's always the same situation, I climb in the 'rocket' mode but still work my butt off. Typically, these climbs are only 2-4 minutes but it's very steep. 1st gear, rocket mode, me pedaling pretty hard. I'll get to the top and basically collapse because of the heat and when I sit there, the lights will shut themselves off after about 1 minute. Pushing the button will not restart it, but pulling the battery will. Now my motor and controller were all replaced under warranty, but the problem remains. After discussing with Transition, we agreed that the motor is overheating and shutting itself down, If I had say kept moving but maybe under less stressful conditions it might not have shut down as it might have gotten some cooling. I guess when Fall arrives I'll know if this problem still occurs. Don't feel too bad for us, it'll be between 50-85' for the other 9 months of the year.

2) My Relay has a stiff Downhill rated rear rim, a 27.5 x 2.5 DD Aggressor rear tire & an insert. Also, I'd consider my terrain so loose and rocky that it's a bit hard to really 'load' a tire really hard. But either way my rear tire rubs (harmlessly from what I can tell) on both sides of the swingarm. Picture attached. View attachment 123066
I did a chunky G-out and my rear rim became so loose that it was wobbling.

This wheel had been built especially for this bike by a local shop but the spokes had become quite loose.

Point is that I don't think this wheel/ tire would have rubbed the Relay chainstays if I had not had a wheel loosening up like this.

frank_doktor

Oct 20, 2023
bellingham, wa
Any size small owners actually able to fit the fidlock bottle without the shock hitting it? Hell, it seemed just as likely to fit a regular one as this thing.

Also did brake swap from TRPs to XT 4-piston for my wife. Was a bit frustrating, because I didn't want to separate chainstays/main pivot. But eventually got it and put back together. (luckily I love the TRPs)
Talked with Transition and their customer service sent me this guide, which others may find helpful. I just copied it from his into my Google Drive since he had it restricted even after trying to share it.

Next up will be swapping XO Transmission for Shimano setup. She is a Shimano girl caught in a SRAM world. And maybe fork decals.
IMG-1390.jpg

IMG-1391.jpg

IMG-1392.jpg

Oh yeah, have to order another set of these brake adaptors since these were supposed to be for my cyclocross bike.

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
Is an ebike subpar just because of a few ealry stage hickups of the electric system ? What about geo,suspension,trail feel,frame durability ??? I see that Fazua are working on their bugs (though I agree they should have done it prior to getting out to market) and know that most brands have had issues with the systems as well - Levo sl very weak motor and plenty of noise,Shimano ep8 rattle and many errors,Brose motors on Levo's breaking (I know some riders with 8 motors in 2 years !),Rocky mountain alot of noise/friction issues due to the pully system etc...

Unfortunatlly there are issues on ebike systems,but saying all bikes with a Fazua are subpar is a bit harsh imho.
Like it or not but Ride60 motor was (when released) an unfished or at least unrefined system. The remote was not functioning properly, the 5 diods indicator is basic and the motor faced quite some technical bugs (hardware and software). Hopefully the latest firmware updates are addressing these.

Then on the comparison to other system's brands issues, let's be fair....
The power output of SL1.1 cannot be seen as a technical issue per se, it was one of the first light ebike basically shaping this new category and had apparently for some not enough power. But this was per design.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Next up will be swapping XO Transmission for Shimano setup. She is a Shimano girl caught in a SRAM world.

As a historically stubborn Shimano drivetrain fan, I gotta say I don't understand this decision. The GX Transmission on my latest rig converted me immediately.

frank_doktor

Oct 20, 2023
bellingham, wa
As a historically stubborn Shimano drivetrain fan, I gotta say I don't understand this decision. The GX Transmission on my latest rig converted me immediately.
She is getting used to it. But it is a bit slow. She also likes the trigger action of Shimano. Plus, we can sell it and make some money/pay down the bike.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
She is getting used to it. But it is a bit slow. She also likes the trigger action of Shimano. Plus, we can sell it and make some money/pay down the bike.
Gotcha, the XO part of the equation certainly makes sense as a win in terms of cost difference.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Hi, my wife is looking at getting a Relay and we've been trying to find out how easy it is to swap between mullet and 29r setup in terms of the motor/software. Is it easy to change the settings if you swap wheels and how is it done? Been looking online but can't find an answer.

Thanks, Paul

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's only a 1 mph difference in the assist cut off speed if you are running the 29er set up but with a 27.5" rear wheel.
Only a Fazua dealer has the software to make the change.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Thanks. Maybe that's the question I should have asked first; when you swap between mullet/29er setup, do you notice much difference in the way the motor responds... or does it feel fine either setup?

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
How does the bike ride? It’s really good! For reference I’m 6’1 200lbs.
Kenevo SL S4 vs Transition Relay L - Push ElevinSix was on my Kenevo and the Relay has the Fox Coil, same wheel set, group set, bars, stem, and brakes moved over to the Relay from the Kenevo.
First three rides and I‘ve already had some PR‘s on trails that I ride quite often. The two biggest differences Ive noticed were how much more speed the Relay carried versus the Kenevo. The second was it climbed significantly better with the steeper seat angle. I ride a loop at least once a week that averages 14% for a little over two miles. The bike also feels better through the chunk than the Kenevo while still being more playful. Obviously there really isn’t a comparison in the motor department. The Fazua has significantly more power and quieter. I also find myself able to climb in 2-3 gears higher than the Spesh motor on the same climbs. The Spesh really struggles with gradients over 7%. The motor just doesn’t have the torque. As well as having more drag. The Relay is the first ebike I’ve ridden that feels like a regular bike past the speed limiter.
Cons - the overall electronics package is not as well integrated as the Spesh for sure, the ring controller could certainly have a more quality feel, feels pretty cheap in comparison. Most of those complaints aren’t a knock on Transition just the reality of the Fazua Ride 60 package.
Reliability - still a question to be determined on the Relay, only three rides where I had hundreds of rides on the Kenevo. The Kenevo had the motor replaced (had around 4 other friends who needed a motor replacement). Also needed a new TCU replaced. Specialized was great with the warranty department and both replacements parts took about a week.
So far stoked with my decision to switch to the Relay.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Myself and the wife are similar height and we often swap bikes... I let her take the lighter bike uphill and the gnarlier bike down ... we have a YT Jeffsy and Capra as our analogue bikes.

Recently I got a Forestal Cyon, which is an SL 29er trail bike with 150/160 travel... which my wife steals most of the time! It's a great balance of nimble/playful but still pretty stable, but when things get really gnarly and/or steep she finds she struggles... the seat tower isn't that low so the saddle knocks her butt, and it doesn't have the bump eating ability of a longer travel bike.

She demo'd a Relay and the new Nukeproof Megawatt - she loved the plow ability of the Megawatt, and the power, but found the 24kg weight a bit much to handle and it didn't seem to have great rolling speed, which made it feel quite cumbersome.

She's looking at the pnw version but the local shop is struggling to get one (we are based in Scotland) but they are willing to custom build a 29er to a pnw spec - mullet, coil and 38s.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
would absolutely recommend the relay pnw over regular relay if you terrain allows it (fort williams and the area seems great for that).

i was a bit of a die-hard 29er, but after swapping the relay between full 29 and mullet im a mullet guy for this specific bike. it helps with the rear feel while descending (feels like a much lighter bike on mullet) works great with a coil + 170mm up front, feels like a normal bike other than climbing isnt tiring and the weight doesn't matter so i can run a coil full time..;)

going non-mullet 160mm, i think i'd also look at other options, still a great bike - but in 170mm mullet there's just nothing like the Relay. Fun, not too heavy, not too plowy but still extremely stable, super capable, etc. hits all the boxes for me.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Not that I'm looking for a new bike, but this bike is really intriguing to me. Especially with the prices the way they are currently. The PNW version catches my eye really bad. There's literally not a thing I would change on it.

The main thing I can't wrap my head around is the alloy PNW version is 50lbs. I currently have a Vitus E-Mythique with shockingly similar geometry and close to the same build spec (fox 38 and x2). That bike weighs 55lbs. I know 5 pounds more is alot, but it has a 95nm motor and a 630wh battery. I just don't know if it makes sense.

The real answer is the carbon PNW version but I just can't see spending that kind of money, even with the sale.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Aluminum Transitions are always anchors.

Spring for the CF.

That said, it's not as light as some other's because it's built robust, has the geo it has, a bash guard, a removable battery, huge dropper, etc. All of these things add weight.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
i
Not that I'm looking for a new bike, but this bike is really intriguing to me. Especially with the prices the way they are currently. The PNW version catches my eye really bad. There's literally not a thing I would change on it.

The main thing I can't wrap my head around is the alloy PNW version is 50lbs. I currently have a Vitus E-Mythique with shockingly similar geometry and close to the same build spec (fox 38 and x2). That bike weighs 55lbs. I know 5 pounds more is alot, but it has a 95nm motor and a 630wh battery. I just don't know if it makes sense.

The real answer is the carbon PNW version but I just can't see spending that kind of money, even with the sale.
im not sure id get the alloy version either. its not just the frame adding weight but still.

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon

Get it! I just picked up a grey CF PNW!

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
How does the bike ride? It’s really good! For reference I’m 6’1 200lbs.
Kenevo SL S4 vs Transition Relay L - Push ElevinSix was on my Kenevo and the Relay has the Fox Coil, same wheel set, group set, bars, stem, and brakes moved over to the Relay from the Kenevo.
First three rides and I‘ve already had some PR‘s on trails that I ride quite often. The two biggest differences Ive noticed were how much more speed the Relay carried versus the Kenevo. The second was it climbed significantly better with the steeper seat angle. I ride a loop at least once a week that averages 14% for a little over two miles. The bike also feels better through the chunk than the Kenevo while still being more playful. Obviously there really isn’t a comparison in the motor department. The Fazua has significantly more power and quieter. I also find myself able to climb in 2-3 gears higher than the Spesh motor on the same climbs. The Spesh really struggles with gradients over 7%. The motor just doesn’t have the torque. As well as having more drag. The Relay is the first ebike I’ve ridden that feels like a regular bike past the speed limiter.
Cons - the overall electronics package is not as well integrated as the Spesh for sure, the ring controller could certainly have a more quality feel, feels pretty cheap in comparison. Most of those complaints aren’t a knock on Transition just the reality of the Fazua Ride 60 package.
Reliability - still a question to be determined on the Relay, only three rides where I had hundreds of rides on the Kenevo. The Kenevo had the motor replaced (had around 4 other friends who needed a motor replacement). Also needed a new TCU replaced. Specialized was great with the warranty department and both replacements parts took about a week.
So far stoked with my decision to switch to the Relay.

Nice write up, thanks. I’m considering switching from Kenovo SL to Relay as well. I own a S4 KSL and would go for a L Relay. How do you like the geo of Relay L compared to a S4 KSL?

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
Nice write up, thanks. I’m considering switching from Kenovo SL to Relay as well. I own a S4 KSL and would go for a L Relay. How do you like the geo of Relay L compared to a S4 KSL?
not addressed to me but i rode both and i like both, they feel fairly similar, the relay pnw mullet being a tad more playful in practice (which can be good or bad depending on your preferences). id be happy with either bike geo wise and suspension wise personally. some differences, but same type of bike.

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
The geo are very similar between the two. Initially, I thought the whole steeper seat angle was more bike industry marketing than an actual improvement. But in regards to the Relay I was absolutely wrong. The ability to climb steeps is significantly easier and more comfortable because you’re no longer having to hang over the bars to keep the front wheel from wondering. Switch backs also seem easier while climbing. It will take a ride or two to get use to shorter reach while the seat is extended because of the seat angle. Otherwise really no noticeable difference in geo feel. You’ll feel right at home on the Large Relay.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles