• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Need help with the OS Maps app - any users?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'm struggling to get the OS app to keep tracking my position and keep me in the middle of the screen.
I've installed it on a Pixel Android phone and run it as a navigation tool only so it has no SIM but GPS works.
I emailed the OS but received only a generic email - uninstall app, turn off phone etc.
I click on the little compass symbol, it's centre cross turns from white to blue, it recentres but then doesn't keep up with me.
I'd prefer to keep the app as I've got 3 years premium based on my historical map purchases.
Any one any the wiser?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Operating system updated? That was the problem with OS maps on my iPhone. Worked much better after the update. Make sure you have allowed the app to access location data / GPS

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I use it a lot, but not 'always on' - i just open the app occasionally to check location. When I do, it's never self centred. I always have to hit the locate button.

Playing with it now, i see there is a setting in the app's Android permission settings relating to GPS access. Mine is set to use GPS when 'app in use'. I suspect this needs to be 'always' to track location.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Operating system updated? That was the problem with OS maps on my iPhone. Worked much better after the update. Make sure you have allowed the app to access location data / GPS
Yep, always updated. Does it track you on the iPhone. I know some apps work better on IOS.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I use it a lot, but not 'always on' - i just open the app occasionally to check location. When I do, it's never self centred. I always have to hit the locate button.

Playing with it now, i see there is a setting in the app's Android permission settings relating to GPS access. Mine is set to use GPS when 'app in use'. I suspect this needs to be 'always' to track location.
Yes, access to GPS set to always. I even tried switching the GNSS polling in the developer options menu.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have an old iPhone I use as a Satnav for the bike and it sometimes takes ages to find where it is when I first turn the thing on. I think it needs to locate where the GPS satellites are first if you have not turned it on for a while. I guess if GPS is always on and working in the background this would not be an issue. My old Garmin etrek had the same issue when I first turned it on after storage

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I use the OS Map app regularly but only as a quick reference if I'm totally lost. I keep my phone in my pocket and use the Garmin on the bike if I'm following a gpx route

When I did mount the phone to the handlebars I also found that the cursor arrow would only follow the route until it went off screen and I would then have to press centre every time to see where I am on the map, and make the map scroll to the location

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I use the OS Map app regularly but only as a quick reference if I'm totally lost. I keep my phone in my pocket and use the Garmin on the bike if I'm following a gpx route

When I did mount the phone to the handlebars I also found that the cursor arrow would only follow the route until it went off screen and I would then have to press centre every time to see where I am on the map, and make the map scroll to the location
This is exactly my issue ☹️

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
When I search for OS Map I can see at least 3, can you show which one it is, I would like to give it a go. Cheers
Hi, this one;

Screenshot_20210415-112625.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not the same thing, but I used to use OSMAND (android mapping app). Uses the open streetmaps. It takes a while to totally suss it out, but for mapping it's actually pretty good. Last time was off roading round Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and found all sorts of crazy and interesting places which we'd never found before using the more mainstream mapping.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Not the same thing, but I used to use OSMAND (android mapping app). Uses the open streetmaps. It takes a while to totally suss it out, but for mapping it's actually pretty good. Last time was off roading round Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and found all sorts of crazy and interesting places which we'd never found before using the more mainstream mapping.
Pictures or it didn't happen ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Pictures or it didn't happen ?
This presentation is brought to you on behalf of @The Hodge 'itchy camera trigger finger Yo ! a tiny selection !

Flying Zimm Class. The plane actually crashed when we landed (well, it hit a lampost with the wing !) Ooops.
f2.jpg

First night. Stayed here before a few years earlier as we were leaving. Nice spot.

n1.jpg

Typical night camping .. My poor mate preparing beverages .. an ex girlfriends father :ROFLMAO:

n2.jpg

My favourite wildlife shot I call it "The Cats Nads"

nads.JPG

Some fairly stunning scenery.

n3.JPG

This was in a 100,000 hectare private farm - only found due to OSMAND - it was a tiny track over a railway line to find it. No signs.

panno.JPG

This was off season, normally used for horse/donkey trecking but they let us in for as long as we wanted at some extortionate amount, we did have it to ourselves. One of several camp spots in the farm. On the right are the toilets/showers - which are open ... so you sit down and relive yourself with an enormous drop in front of yourself ! Quite an experience !

toilets of doom.JPG

Washed out track on the "farm".

wash out.jpg

Near one of the other camp spots - they said it was "Impossible" to get there by vehicle ! pah ! rubbish !

n4.JPG

Much of the west coast of Namiba is dunes !

dunes.JPG

With the odd watering hole in the middle of nowhere.

wateringhole.JPG

Then back into the hills and searching for routes.

this way.JPG

This place was cool.. nothing for hundreds of miles .. then a swimming pool ! Wild camping with some creative amenities !

pool in nowhere.JPG

Like this shower - with hot water - you made a fire under a water tank and viola.

shower.jpg

Some recovery nights of civilisation when required !

comfort.JPG

This was a new road - made entirely of block paving ! Then they let a lady driver out ! ok, it was probably a bloke being stupid.

lady driver.JPG

Several weeks later, decided to stay at the first place again as it's easy and their food and wine was magnificent !

back at the start.jpg

Well, you did ask .. just be glad I didn't upload the full Hodge collection !!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anyway .. far more interesting .. just put some "wilds" on .. The DH22's were probably as hard to get off as they were to get on ! I'm now 1kg lighter. My new spring arrived, only 7 days - thanks DHL ! Should have bought a titanium one - weighs a tonne !

spring.jpg

That's my "depart from home" starting grid .. Down the first couple of steps, then jump the two road (well, driveway) gaps, avoid pond - head off and ride ! If you get it wrong you've normally fallen off before you even leave the house.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I also visited South Africa ..many moons ago..( 40 years actually ) as a newly married man..and stayed with the then wife's friend who had moved out there the previous year ..toured constantly for 3 weeks Northern Transvaal in the Kruger ..then made our way down to Cape Town ..never quite got to Durban having to dash back from Wilderness ( which was anything but ) on the garden route to catch our flight from Joburg back to Heathrow ..landed back in this country with only a couple of quid in our pockets ..but what an experience .
Alas well prior to digital ..so no pics ( was that a collective sigh of relief from the whole forum?) ..everything on old school snaps ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I also visited South Africa ..many moons ago..( 40 years actually ) as a newly married man..and stayed with the then wife's friend who had moved out there the previous year ..toured constantly for 3 weeks Northern Transvaal in the Kruger ..then made our way down to Cape Town ..never quite got to Durban having to dash back from Wilderness ( which was anything but ) on the garden route to catch our flight from Joburg back to Heathrow ..landed back in this country with only a couple of quid in our pockets ..but what an experience .
Alas well prior to digital ..so no pics ( was that a collective sigh of relief from the whole forum?) ..everything on old school snaps ..
Did the garden route with a mate about 25 years ago then stayed at another mates just south of capetown for a couple of weeks before zig zagging back east then heading north to vic falls - twice some how .. Stunning place. Did something similar just over 20 years ago and flew over with a girlfriend to be a best man, with a wedding not far from Durban (Where I presented the worlds worst best man speech as I was told 5 minutes before that they were a very serious bunch and I couldn't say anything funny about him, funny about her or funny about South Africans). Then did the garden route bit again, but with some variations. Little did I realise on either trip, that had I tried to get any pictures developed it would have been impossible as the whole country would still have been processing your backlog !

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Ok so update 3.0.5.862 has fixed it for my Android phone. It now tracks my position by scolling the map as I stay in the centre of the map regardless if I'm following a route or not.

Edit - no it hasn't. After patiently hoping OS would produce a decent app to use their own maps, and each update making no difference or making it worse, I've uninstalled it and subscribed to the ONM app. It works perfectly and has lots of customisable features.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles