• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Apps with off line mapping data & GPX tracking?

Great Cornholio

Jun 27, 2020
telford
Hey,

I'm looking for a smartphone app that will allow me to upload a GPX track and follow this for long distance touring with off line mapping, any one got any suggestions?

Ideally a free app with Open cycle mapping data for offline downloads.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
komoot IS free
you get a choice of what ever regon you want free
you can have the world for £19.00 or so 1 payment only
if you know someone who uses it they can donate a free region to you
basic is definitely FREE
No it's not free , only small region around my city. Well at least in my country is so.. don't know for UK there people always get some extras

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I use O/S maps there is a free version but i pay £24 for years access, for uk mapping its second to none. Im not sure if you can download maps for offline use in the free version. The 24 quid is well worth it for the amount i use it. Very easy to route plan. If you also download gexporter to your phone and gimporter to your garmin you can plan and send routes on your phone rather than plugging in the garmin to laptop

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Komoot is worth paying for. It is not free, but as said, one small payment opens up the entire world. I Planned and rode my Transalp with it. Nearly 500 KM and all maps downloaded so I didn't need cell coverage.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
another vote for Komoot. You get one region free and if you only ride locally that might do you.....but if where you ride goes in and out of that region to another you will need to buy that extra region. The best way is to pay for the worldwide map then you can go anywhere. You pay once....I think I paid £25...and thats it, no annual fees etc. You can use Komoot to record your rides or to find new rides...or plan a ride. You can also import GPX files from other sources like Trailforks and then ride those "tours". I use Komoot and when I go on a camping/ MTB trip I typically use either the local MTB guide for that area or Trailforks to find specific rides. I then download those GPX files into Komoot and they go in your "planned rides" in your profile. When I get to the venue all I have to do is select one of my planned rides from my profile and press navigate. Komoot tells you how to get to the start of the trail even that is miles away by road, and then navigates you around that planned ride. You can save your ride when complete if you wish......a word of warning though.....you will now have the original downloaded ride saved in your profile plus the ride you just did which should be the same. Except if you went wrong a few times! So say you fancy doing the ride again. USE THE ORIGINAL NOT YOUR SAVED RIDE or you will be navigated onto all the same mistakes all over again!! HEhe...fun for all!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Really depends on which country you're in to get the right answer as the various mapping detail/capability changes massively depending on where you are.

I'm in the UK so this is what I use:

OS Maps (not free - £25 per year), using the Landranger/Explorer OS apps with imported GPX files is excellent. You can use the website to create routes as well (although the plotting isn't great - snapping doesnt work off-road). The quality of the maps is way better than Open Street Map (OCM etc / Mapbox etc) for the UK. Offline downloaded maps. App is a bit rubbish and crashes (its a well publicised issue).

Komoot (inc the whole world £19 purchase) - this is good, uses Komoots map or OSM (inc OCM). Offline maps supported. Interface for plotting is a bit clunky.

Trailforks (free for online, not free for offline) - I use this to find Downhill trail heads.

BLEvo (not free - £8 I think) - This supports offline OSM maps (through Mapbox) and includes Specialized Levo/Kenevo metrics etc. The interface is clunky though, unless you really need ebike metrics I would stick with the others.

You mention 'long distance'. All of the smartphone apps bash the battery. I barely get 90 minutes out of my iPhone XS Max with screen turned off etc. You may have or find an Android phone with massive battery, but; If you're looking for proper long distance, honestly I'd fork out for a Garmin 830 or something like that - the interface isn't as good as a smartphone but you'll have 20 odd hours of navigation battery life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles