Need help with the main pivot (2022 Spectral:On)

Narfel

May 4, 2023
Spain
TLDR: Can some kind soul with a M129 (2022) Spectral:On tell me the correct orientation and order of the washers that go in there?

The story so far:
I wanted to check the bearings for wear and did not realize that there are washers between the chainstay part and the bearings in the frame. They happily proceeded to spill onto my totally not messy at all floor. I am in contact with the support for 3 straight days now and they cannot figure out what goes were and say I have added parts from another bike. My other bike nearby is a steel hardtail with no hardware like that in any way. I have a non motorized Spectral from 2018, but neither would any parts fit nor has this bike moved in any way from the closet it is stored in for years.

There is apparently indeed a brass washer that is not supposed to be there, but also one of the seal rings was installed wrongly. However I have the bike for a month and am not in the habit of buying bike parts from other canyon bikes and mix them for my entertainment. I recently had the bike at a canyon contracted shop for a warranty replacement cable harness. There should be no reason to take off the main pivot and quite frankly I simply do not care who dunnit. The main pivot axle that I took out still had the brass ring and a ring seal pressed on the head. But there is nothing wrong with the main pivot, I just want to be sure I put the correct pieces at the correct places.

If you're not asleep yet here is a pic. 1 and 2 were flush against the head. 1 is not supposed to be there and is in this kit, which is from the rocker mounting. 2 is a rubber/metal seal ring and has (in my opinion) no business on the head of the pivot axle.
20230514_185505.jpg

After a day of deciphering the hyroglyphs on the explosion drawing they sent me I came across this section refering to parts in the kit that correspond to my stuff. 27 being the seal ring and 38 being the washer with the "A" on it. Not confusingly at all the axle 79 and the nut 81 and screw 24 are in a different section of the exploding view. Naturally the kit is not to be found online anywhere, but there is a main pivot kit containing two thirds of the kit below and, why not, the metal sleeve that goes between the two bearings. The number 37 is not shown or visible anywhere neither by its part name nor part number EP1394-02. Attentive readers may now point out that I could simply cross reference it with a kit that includes those seal rings. Yes that is true, but alas, that kit contains the part but it is called Sealing 61902 28x15x0.9. Catchy name, but useless.
1684343752259.png
1684343823163.png

The most sense to me would be that 27 is actually what they call 37 and someone made a typo. That would mean that 28 is the bearing (I never took that out because there is no need, its fine), 27 is my number 2 from above and 3 is the washer 38, confusingly painted to look like the 27 in the explosion drawing. Now, I think I made my case and I hope someone can just unscrew the damn thing and take a look for my sanity. Fun details include there is only a 1x ring seal listed in the mystery kit. By my estimates pressing a rubber seal against a bearing with a conical washer makes not very much sense and finally why do I have to do that detective work? Shouldn't they know what's what and tell me? I admit it would sound weird to me that a guy reports what I reported, but why would I make this up? I already said i was a dummy and let the stuff drop out so what could I possibly intent? Havin a laugh? Trust me, I have enough of that. You should see my fat old ass ride :)

Thanks for listening to my ted talk, please like and subscribe and don't forget to ring the bell.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi. I just took my Strive:On to bits and have what seems the same main pivot kit as you. BUT mine doesn’t have the item 1 as in your picture. I can’t see why you’d have that brass washer (just the bushing and seal should be enough)

Also I figured a mistake on their exploded drawing for the Strive:On so it wouldn’t surprise me if yours is wrong too.

Narfel

May 4, 2023
Spain
Thanks for your reply. I visited a (actually two) shops to confirm and got it approved by Canyon afterwards.

The brass washer is apparently quite common just there to prevent the head from damaging the chainstay. It is not Canyon's spec on the M129. Both mechanics said they'd probably leave it in, but it is completely optional and if Canyon does not spec it I can leave it off, and so I did.

Just out of curiosity, in what orientation where those washers for you? The correct assembly of the seal ring (2) is supposed to be brass side to the bearing, flat side of the washer (3) against it so the conical side is facing the frame.

Something I didn't know is that the whole thing is just an attempt at keeping dust out of the bearings and doesn't really matter much at all. A normal washer would do the same job, however I want of course to have it to Canyon's spec on a brand new bike.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for your reply. I visited a (actually two) shops to confirm and got it approved by Canyon afterwards.

The brass washer is apparently quite common just there to prevent the head from damaging the chainstay. It is not Canyon's spec on the M129. Both mechanics said they'd probably leave it in, but it is completely optional and if Canyon does not spec it I can leave it off, and so I did.

Just out of curiosity, in what orientation where those washers for you? The correct assembly of the seal ring (2) is supposed to be brass side to the bearing, flat side of the washer (3) against it so the conical side is facing the frame.

Something I didn't know is that the whole thing is just an attempt at keeping dust out of the bearings and doesn't really matter much at all. A normal washer would do the same job, however I want of course to have it to Canyon's spec on a brand new bike.
I put them this way, which I'm sure this was the way they were installed on my frame. It's the way I'd assume they go as then the lip of the seal bends the correct way to seal onto the bearing edge and the complete bearing is then covered by the rubber seal. If its on the other way round the lip of the seal doesnt actually seal the bearing and only half of the bearing is covered by the seal...

Also, one of them had 2 of these washers installed (!)

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 07.59.08.png

Narfel

May 4, 2023
Spain
Interesting, rubber side sealing better is another interpretation that makes sense to me.
My interpretation was that the metal disc facing the inner part of the bearing would ensure that only the spinning middle bushing of the bearing turns. Otherwise the rubber would be pressed against the outer bushing and get torn over time. That was also why I initially thought the conical part of the washer that goes on top of the seal ring would be supposed to face the seal and bearing to bring the load more into the middle.
However your observation would track with what the mechanics said, that the rubber seal barely keep out dust. If it's only half covered that'd be no wonder.
Do you even have the conical washer (my number 3) that goes on top on the Strive? It is quite thick and leaving it off is not an option for me, since there would be too much play.
Who knew I'd be on my way to become a bearing/washer scholar by switching to an ebike. My old Spectral has just a boring old bearing 😜

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles