New Spectral:ON 2022

Darek

Mar 5, 2023
Poland
Hello, I am awaiting delivery of the CF 8 but am concerned about the EP8 motor rattling when not pedaling.
What are your experiences?

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Hello, I am awaiting delivery of the CF 8 but am concerned about the EP8 motor rattling when not pedaling.
What are your experiences?
I haven't had any issue so far,, haven't had it very long but as far as I can tell other people aren't massively bothered by it

Darek

Mar 5, 2023
Poland
Apparently the new EP8 no longer has the rattling problem. I ordered Spectral on cf 8 not knowing about the rattling, I wonder if I should give up the purchase, advise something, the bike has not yet been sent

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Apparently the new EP8 no longer has the rattling problem. I ordered Spectral on cf 8 not knowing about the rattling, I wonder if I should give up the purchase, advise something, the bike has not yet been sent
I love my bike, but if it wasn't on sale I would get a yt decoy instead

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
You have a 30 day return window with Canyon.

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
I love my bike, but if it wasn't on sale I would get a yt decoy instead.

The Decoy is a cool bike, but it only has a 540 w/h battery. There is a 720 w/h that can be purchased separately for another $899 but they are almost never available. YT is behind the curve with battery power.

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
I own an On cf 8
Medium and I’m 5’8 ish

Upgraded Forks, Brakes, Seatpost and saddle.

My first e-bike but it has blown me away, both downhill but uphill.

Got the 720 battery and never run close to empty. Tbh I mainly ride in eco and trail atm.

Any questions please ask, I recommend highly

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for your reply. I am also looking at the CF8, but would do the same upgrades as you, maybe also the wheels, but probably not the seatpost, that would have to be seen first. So maybe, just wait for CF9 availability, but I checked with the support and they have no view on when it will be available again.

What did you change it to and did you sell the old parts?

Last edited:

Giustizio

Mar 16, 2021
Italy
I have a 2023 Spectral CF8, still rattling

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
has anyone here changed the travel on the fork or changed to a fork with more travel yet?
Yes I’ve put a 38 Factory kit r
Thanks for your reply. I am also looking at the CF8, but would do the same upgrades as you, maybe also the wheels, but probably not the seatpost, that would have to be seen first. So maybe, just wait for CF9 availability, but I checked with the support and they have no view on when it will be available again.

What did you change it to and did you sell the old parts?
I changed the forks from the 36 to some factory 38’s
I changed the seatpost to a fox factory transfer
I changed the brakes to sram code rsc
Grips to my favourite ergon’s
Saddle to bell air 2
Yes sold all the parts I swapped out.

Mine doesn’t rattle at all, although the headset creaked a little during the winter

Narfel

May 4, 2023
Spain
Hi, has anybody changed the internal cable hose for the rear brake? I'd like to fit XTs on my CF9 and need to swap the hoses and feel a bit intimidated by the whole motor/bottom bracket assembly. Is this generally something for a shop to do or can I do that by myself. I have experience working on a bike, but not on an e-bike yet.

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Hi, has anybody changed the internal cable hose for the rear brake? I'd like to fit XTs on my CF9 and need to swap the hoses and feel a bit intimidated by the whole motor/bottom bracket assembly. Is this generally something for a shop to do or can I do that by myself. I have experience working on a bike, but not on an e-bike yet.
Look through the thread / I’ve done it via my local bike shop

Narfel

May 4, 2023
Spain
Thanks for the reply. That picture you posted looks exactly as complicated as I feared it would be. Interesting to see how it looks down there, though.

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Thanks for the reply. That picture you posted looks exactly as complicated as I feared it would be. Interesting to see how it looks down there, though.
Yes it was pretty complicated. Had to take out the engine etc. not ideal if your not confident. Plus having to feed the hose through and make sure it didn’t bend or kink too much was also a big issue. Glad I did it however.

Tone_Loc66

Jun 29, 2022
USA
Yes it was pretty complicated. Had to take out the engine etc. not ideal if your not confident. Plus having to feed the hose through and make sure it didn’t bend or kink too much was also a big issue. Glad I did it however.
@barney96 what are the torque specs for the motor bolts you used when reinstalling the motor?

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
Yes I’ve put a 38 Factory kit r

I changed the forks from the 36 to some factory 38’s
I changed the seatpost to a fox factory transfer
I changed the brakes to sram code rsc
Grips to my favourite ergon’s
Saddle to bell air 2
Yes sold all the parts I swapped out.

Mine doesn’t rattle at all, although the headset creaked a little during the winter
Hi, did you increase the travel on the 38's? And if so, any major difference? Also with the change to Code RSC, did you change only the levers or the calipers as well? I thank you!

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
In the process of a few upgrades to my CF9. Changed the Brakes from the useless Code RS to Shimano Saints - some people don't like the raw power but I do - Big upgrade in my eyes. 160mm Airshaft waiting to go in and I am done!

barney96

Sep 27, 2021
England
Hi, did you increase the travel on the 38's? And if so, any major difference? Also with the change to Code RSC, did you change only the levers or the calipers as well? I thank you!
The travel on the 38’s are 170 and for me are perfect. I changed the whole brake system / see photo above. Pain in the arse but they are my brake of choice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles