Main pivot bearing removal Spectral:on

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
The other day on the trails i noticed my spectral: on 2019 started creaking somewhere around the motor area, so you know how it goes...
You disassemble chainring, pedals etc, apply antiseize and hope that the creaking goes away. But before you know it you have the whole bike turned up side down, complete rear end disassembled with cables and arms hanging everywhere.
Ah the main pivot bearings seized! Well that might explain it. Still dont know why these things fail in one year time, but ok... I have spares lying around.
So now comes the removal part. How do you get them out?

There seems to be a spacer (hollow tube, part #6 on the exploded diagram) between the 2 bearings that prevents you from getting anything behind them to pull them out, or tap them out from the other end. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Oh, if anyone is looking for replacement of the main pivot bearings on the Spectral: on 2019 (and possibly other models) then the type number is: 6901VRS

I got my first spares from Canyon, but boy did i overpay...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Something like this;

Or this;

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Ok thank you very much!
I like the idea of the bolt type (your second suggestion) because it requires no room behind the bearing and 12mm is what all bearings on the spectral are. So would just need that one 12mm puller. Let me see if i can order it from the UK...

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Yeah i meant to say if i can get it from the UK to the netherlands.
But should be no problem, shipping is like 5 euros.

So thanks again for the tip!
When it arrives, i will post if it works or not.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
All right, got the bearings out with the blind bearing puller :)
New ones installed, no more creaking.

One of the seized bearings actually started rotating again after it was extracted. But very crunchy. It was all gunky inside when i removed the dust shield. I suspect rust from moisture ingress killed them within one year. How weird is that, i never wash my bike with water, except for two times last winter.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
All right, got the bearings out with the blind bearing puller :)
New ones installed, no more creaking.

One of the seized bearings actually started rotating again after it was extracted. But very crunchy. It was all gunky inside when i removed the dust shield. I suspect rust from moisture ingress killed them within one year. How weird is that, i never wash my bike with water, except for two times last winter.

I'm not informed enough to know if your 2019 Spectral is the alloy framed, external battery model or the newer CF main framed internal battery one S13, but I have the old alloy framed one. I've had it for getting on for two years and use it as my winter bike here in the very wet Derbyshire Peak District. It permanently gets covered in mud which I regularly clean off with a lowish power pressure washer. I have had to change the rear suspension plastic bushes (which are known to be rubbish) with bronze ones but the sealed bearings are still fine.
I just wondered is you used some form of crap dispercent spray chemical (Muc Off or similar)?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Nope, no chemicals. Just a damp cloth, thats all.

And yes mine is the 2019 alu frame.
It doesnt have plastic bushes as far as i know. Where exactly are they on your bike?

Maybe the seized bearing was just caused by a bad dust seal. Or perhaps condensation played a role, with how the bike was stored.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The ones covered in this thread.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Ah ok at the bottom of the rear shock extension. Those bushings are still fine on my bike. Wasnt aware that it was plastic though. Gonna inspect it next time to be sure.

thegrapher

May 9, 2019
Oslo
Ah ok at the bottom of the rear shock extension. Those bushings are still fine on my bike. Wasnt aware that it was plastic though. Gonna inspect it next time to be sure.
Hey mate…some great tips there. Just got bearings from canyon and looking for some help to remove them. So did you pick up the second remover that was recommended (the bottom image)? What option did you choose just to be sure? The 6902? Was that all you needed? Thanks heaps for any help! I’d really appreciate it ?

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
So i got the 2nd one, the bottom image.
This is the option: Bearing Type: 12x24x6mm (matches 6901)

For pulling the main pivots, that is everything you need. I did need to slam those bearings hard to get them out.

Now the other bearings might need some different tools. A socket set and a couple of bolts, nuts and washers go a long way.
I dont exactly remember what i used, but other than that blind bearing puller i didnt use any special tools.
Some can be a pita, because there is no straight surface to align your tools on. So i'd rather not do that job too often ;)

thegrapher

May 9, 2019
Oslo
So i got the 2nd one, the bottom image.
This is the option: Bearing Type: 12x24x6mm (matches 6901)

For pulling the main pivots, that is everything you need. I did need to slam those bearings hard to get them out.

Now the other bearings might need some different tools. A socket set and a couple of bolts, nuts and washers go a long way.
I dont exactly remember what i used, but other than that blind bearing puller i didnt use any special tools.
Some can be a pita, because there is no straight surface to align your tools on. So i'd rather not do that job too often ;)
This is perfect!! Thanks for the detailed feedback. All new to me so it really helps. Yeah I know the one you’re talking about it! Was puzzling over it too. If anyone else has some tips id love to hear them too!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles