My review of the amazing Rise M-Team

siciliano

Mar 13, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I know there's several longer threads about the bike but I wanted to post my first impressions after my first ride today. I ordered the Rise M-Team medium (I'm 5'7") in the blue/gold from Bike Bling about 7-8 weeks ago. I called the owner beforehand and he actually told me the exact size and trim I wanted was about to head to their shop in San Diego within a week so I said sold...I received it the last week of March and got it put together by the only Orbea dealer LBS within 100 miles of me (Even though I live in the big city of Atlanta). I have been so busy with work that today is the first time I was able to ride it, even though the LBS put it together 3 weeks ago. I should preface this whole thing by explaining that A) I consider myself at best an intermediate rider and only got back into MTB'ing about a year ago when I bought a Marin Hawk Hill 3 but found it way more strenuous than I remembered it being 10-15 years ago, even though I am pretty fit and light (147 lbs) which led me to B) buy a 2021 Levo SL Expert 2.5 months ago. I rode the SL once on the same track I rode the Rise today and was annoyed by the loud motor noise when going uphill even in Eco mode, plus if I ever need to go into the top mode on very tough terrain I felt it wouldn't potentially be enough power. I was able to return it to the shop i bought it at minus 5% restocking fee.

The mods I have done or had the LBS done to the Rise are the following:
203mm/180mm Shimano Ice-Tek rotors
DHRII 2.4" and DHF 2.5"
Ergon GA3 grips (cut the handlebars down to 760mm as well)
OneUp oil slick aluminum pedals
changed out the crank arm bolts to Tbest GUB aluminum ones that lock the arms better in place (Bought from Amazon)
Garmin 530

With all these mods the bike weighed in at 41.8 lbs which was a little more than I was hoping for but is still good enough for me. I took the bike to a set of singletracks north of ATL about 40 minutes called Blankets Creek and rode the two intermediate level trails I like the best. I immediately felt like this bike had more "pop" and playfulness than the Levo SL and the suspension felt better as well even though both bikes had the Fox 36 and DPX2. It's also very clear that Eco mode in this bike (profile 1) is basically in between Eco and trail on the SL. I in total rode 10 miles today and I'd say 70% of that was in Eco, 25% in trail, 5% or less in Boost. The motor noise when going uphill is definitely less of a whine than the SL, although still audible. When going downhill the motor rattle is apparent but I care less about it than I thought I might. Also, people have said the SL feels more planted or "safe" on downhills but I found that not to be true at all. Again, I'm in between a novice and intermediate rider and not one time on some steep rocky downhills did I feel any less planted or comfortable on the Rise than the SL. Lastly, the battery is better than SL at least in an apples to apples comparison I would consider. I charged the bike to 100% over 3 weeks ago when I received it built from the LBS. When I turned the bike on today it was at 95% (I'm guessing these batteries lose charge little by little as they sit not charged). By the time I was done with my ride today I had 82% left. That's only 13% discharge and this was 9.5 miles with 900 ft of elevation gain. The Levo SL I lost 18% with the same miles and elevation. All in all, I'm super happy with this bike and the decision to switch from the Levo SL without even demoing the Rise. I have been concerned like many of you in here about bolts coming loose and such but before I rode today I had my LBS double check everything and install those Tbest Aluminum crank arm bolts. I hope to ride many other trails soon when time allows.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am happy that you love the bike (nice review). :)
Try not to leave the battery charged to 100% for long periods as it is not good for them.
It appears that consensus implies that leaving a battery between 50-80% is best. Therefore when I get back from a ride I take a look at what is left and charge it for long enough to get it into that zone (I experimented). Bear in mind that the first hour puts way more charge in than any subsequent hour.
Continue to have fun! :)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
changed out the crank arm bolts to Tbest GUB aluminum ones that lock the arms better in place (Bought from Amazon)

(just to be safe)

The crank caps are for preloading, not retention. Don't rely on those to hold your cranks on. I mean I suppose it's better than nothing if your crank bolt fails and you need to limp home, but they're not strong enough for regular riding. That's not what they are for.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Give stock profile 2 a go next ride , you'll not go back to profile 1 unless your planning a long ride . Its then worth just tweaking it to your preference, you'll be surprised how much power its actually got .

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
My wife and I were just coming not the LBS when you were leaving that day! We ended up purchasing the XL M10 that they had in stock and my wife tried out the M10 medium they had from the rep... Getting her an ltd medium same color as yours as she is coming from an XC and the geo of the ltd is better for her... Blanks Creek is awesome for these bikes "Van Michael' trail is amazing fun!... since that day I have been on 10 different rides at 8 different sets of trails around the area and all of them a blast! This is truly a great bike and I get an amazing workout without giving my self a heart attack!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles