Öhlins TTX1 or TTX2 and up the travel to 150 on my rise m-team

Ronald B

Jul 13, 2019
Netherlands
Hi all,
I want to stay with a air shock but want bump up the travel to 150.
Is there a air shock that will work?
Done the fork from 150 to 160 already and love it.
Thanx Ron

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Not possible without a custom link that changes leverage ratio. Shock is already at max stroke for the size (210 x 55), if 140mm was achieve from a 210x52.5 shock, then yes you have some room to play with.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
With offset bushings you can.
offset bushings doesn't change the stroke of the shock which determines your wheel travel.
You will often find that people are "long stroking" their shock along with offset bushings. Going this route really limits the amount of air shock available to you cause you will need to use 216x63 sizing which is before metric. Air shocks with 216x63 are far and few now.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
dvo topaz and rs monarch are the only "modern" (ish) air shocks that are sold in 8.5x2.5. I too would love to run an 8.5x2.5 but with an air shock... but I am not a fan of either of the air shocks that are available in that size. I've owned both of those shocks on previous bikes. A monarch debonair with a vorsprung tune/rebuild is the best option imo. The topaz and monarch suck pretty hard in stock form.

Ronald B

Jul 13, 2019
Netherlands
(offset bushings doesn't change the stroke of the shock which determines your wheel travel.
You will often find that people are "long stroking" their shock along with offset bushings.)

This is what I want, but is there a good air shocks that will fit?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
(offset bushings doesn't change the stroke of the shock which determines your wheel travel.
You will often find that people are "long stroking" their shock along with offset bushings.)

This is what I want, but is there a good air shocks that will fit?
Might find a DVO, Cane Creek, very few companies make Standard size air shocks, most new versions are Metric only. Fox DPX2, DVO Gen 1 Topaz, CC DB Air IL all come in 216x63 (8.5x2.5")

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I would just go 140mm travel TTX coil better shock than any of the 216x63 air shocks which are rubbish a well set up suspension & you don’t need loads of travel

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I would just go 140mm travel TTX coil better shock than any of the 216x63 air shocks which are rubbish a well set up suspension & you don’t need loads of travel
So if you're recommending a Ohlins coil at 210x55...then why wouldn't you go with a 216x63/8.5x2.5 coil instead for 160mm?? 160/160 more balanced than 160/140.
Not sure why OP wants to stick to air, it's an ebike so you're not gaining much efficiency using air. Maybe try a progressive spring for a firmer ride on the Ohlins TTX2 8.5x2.5 or Fox DPX2 8.5x2.5, Cane Creek valt progressive springs fit either.

I see Fox X2's in 8.5 x 2.5 available in the US, not sure if they fit the Rise frame but since DPX2 does fit, X2 should fit as well, similar piggy backs on both.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
So if you're recommending a Ohlins coil at 210x55...then why wouldn't you go with a 216x63/8.5x2.5 coil instead for 160mm?? 160/160 more balanced than 160/140.
Not sure why OP wants to stick to air, it's an ebike so you're not gaining much efficiency using air. Maybe try a progressive spring for a firmer ride on the Ohlins TTX2 8.5x2.5 or Fox DPX2 8.5x2.5, Cane Creek valt progressive springs fit either.

I see Fox X2's in 8.5 x 2.5 available in the US, not sure if they fit the Rise frame but since DPX2 does fit, X2 should fit as well, similar piggy backs on both.

I am guessing you haven’t heard of brands like Transition, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Evil etc all run more travel on front than rear! You don’t need more than 140mm travel on the rear, it is a trail bike made very capable & is well balanced!!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I am guessing you haven’t heard of brands like Transition, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Evil etc all run more travel on front than rear! You don’t need more than 140mm travel on the rear, it is a trail bike made very capable & is well balanced!!
Uh yea heard of all but FYI, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Evil do not make lightweight ebikes, so that's a moot point. Transition's Relay yet to be released but will be expensive. To mod a rise to 160 is fairly easy, but if you're happy with 140mm more power to you. Personally I find 140mm to be pretty much inadequate for my needs.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
It depends on what your priorities are. I am very sensitive to bb height on my bikes. I would almost never... sacrifice bb height (and by extension static and dynamic f/r weight balance) for more travel. If I have the opportunity to get more travel without changing the bb height, then I'm here for it, and have done that several times on other bikes.

In the case of the rise:
-160mm fork - 8.5x2.5 shock w/2 - 2mm offset bushings - 29 f/r = +7mm of bb height
-160mm fork - 8.5x2.5 shock w/1 - 2mm offset bushing - 29f / 27.5 r = -5mm bb height

Either of those bb height swings are significant and are easily enough to shift your f/r weight balance by 5-10%. In addition, those measurements are swinging your head tube angle by .5 degrees in either direction and creating a significant impact on mechanical trail. I digress, for very advanced riders and bike testers, bb height is a HUGE differentiator on how a bike handles. The truth is, that there are few, if any bikes on the market that have optimum bb height windows of +/- 5mm provided that the other geometry numbers are not changing.

I have tried two different 8.5x2.5 coil shocks (dvo jade and dhx2) and from my pov... the increase in travel does not add more to the bike, then the compromises in geometry take away. I am still experimenting with this, but I have even tried a single 2mm offset bushing in the 210x55 shock in order to play with a slacker hta and lower bb... and even that adjustments shifts the weight balance to where you get that riding off the back of the bike feeling.

Regarding air vs coil... I prefer air shocks on ebikes. I run coil shocks on my 170/170 enduro bike and completely prefer the characteristics that it gives on that platform. On ebikes, I find that the added traction is a benefit, but I miss having a progressive rebound curve on the air spring. I find that helps me pre-load the bike more effectively and gives me the ability to bunny hop the bike to the same extent that I do on my coil shock enduro rig. In addition, the rise is not quite as progressive as I would want for a coil shock. In order to not slam the bike into the bump stop and to get enough spring return force to keep the bike playfull, I need to run a stiffer spring and less resulting sag... which just compounds the bb height problem. I am easily into a 575 - 600lb spring at 185lb rider weight and which starts to negate the traction advantages that the coil had in the first place.

Long story short... don't discount good, modern air shocks. The problem is that the are not really many, if any truly modern air shock designs in the size that is required to long shock the rise. this means that you are left with rather archaic solutions to that problem.

Last edited:

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
yeah I agree with socalmtb - just depends where you're fun is. I'm 185 and I run 475lb spring, I like the traction and extra travel for the tech stuff I ride. In flowy / jump lines, I don't get more than 3 feet of air (huck to flat) and my setup feels pretty smooth to me. I rarely feel any difference between couple of mm bb drop, but travel of setup I do notice.

At the end of the day, there's going to be adjustment and adaptation time for anytype of mod. Pole voima for example requires you to relearn all your technique cause there's 0 BB height drop!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles